PDA

View Full Version : Interesting question

DevilsCharm
07-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Do snakes have feelings? I mean, do they understand what's going on around them, or do they just react to their surroundings and act in a way that would allow them to survive? It's like ants, they obviously aren't conscious, they don't know what's going on, they don't "feel" pain or anything, but they do some pretty complicated stuff. It might be the same for snakes, and perhaps even dogs or cats (although I think dogs and cats are conscious in some way). What do you think?

Brian
07-27-2006, 11:56 PM
I think snakes and all vertebrate animals feel pain at least. I don't think they have feelings in the way that we understand feelings but I could be wrong.
They seem to have personalities at times but at other times they just seem to be doing what they need to do to survive. I definately wouldn't compare their conciousness to that of dogs. Dogs definately seem to have feelings but then they have voice and body language to show us their feelings whereas snakes can't even wink.

Thamnophis
08-23-2006, 03:06 AM
I think they have "feelings" like Hunger, Thirst, Pain, Lust, etc.
But the feelings that we humans have (which make us human) are not present in snakes, I think.

nickermaker87
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
It would make sense that any deep emotions would be mostly lacking in animals that aren't really social and don't provide any sort of maternal care. They don't depend on anyone but themselves, so they don't need to form relationships or bonds, etc, in theory. In practice, however, it is evident that some examples know their keeper and enjoy their company, by coming to greet them and slither up their arm or whatever. However, that doesn't mean they would be heartbroken if they never so you again lol