PDA

View Full Version : are common garter snakes communal??

reganngo
11-19-2007, 07:08 AM
if yes how many can ikeep in a 15 gallon tank.....and another question can i use wood carvings or should i just use newspapers because news papers are lacking in decorations:) tnx for the reply guys...this is my first post here in this forums;)

Cazador
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi Regan,

I think a 15 gallon tank would be perfect for one or two garters. You could probably keep more in there for a short period, but if they become too dense, they get stressed. It also becomes more difficult to manage them when you're feeding them. If there are too many snakes in a small enclosure, they become more aggressive and start fighting over food.

Also, a lot of people use wood shavings for their substrate. Enjoy,

Rick

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Regan, and welcome to the forum. By reading through some of the old threads, you will find many useful hints about spacial requirements and substrates. In the meantime might I suggest you have a read through our general care sheets;
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

reganngo
11-19-2007, 11:04 PM
aw iseee BTW can i use 1/2wood shaving and 1/2 newspapers because i want to put the water dish in the nwespaper because i dont want the wood shavings to be swallowed by the nake so i made a each side for a feeding location and a basking or hiding location :D

adamanteus
11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
can i use 1/2wood shaving and 1/2 newspapers because i want to put the water dish in the nwespaper :D

Sounds like a good solution to me, Regan:)!

reganngo
11-20-2007, 08:59 PM
thanks ill try it:)