PDA

View Full Version : Strumpfbandnattern

Cazador
11-21-2006, 12:57 PM
On the "Best Snake Book" thread, one book that's not currently available in English stood out as being exceptional: Strumpfbandnattern by Hallman M. & Chlebowy J. In order to put in the effort to do the translation, it would have to be worthwhile for the authors. The German version currently sells for about $35, so how many people would buy a copy written in English, if it costs between $40 and $50 (USD)?
Rick

ssssnakeluvr
11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I would buy it...

Cazador
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Cool. Be sure to fill out the poll, above, so everybody's results are included.
Rick

Thamnophis
11-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I am pretty sure that I would buy it.
My German reading is not that bad, but my English reading is better, I think.

abcat1993
11-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I am pretty sure that I would buy it.
My German reading is not that bad, but my English reading is better, I think.
How many languages do you know?
I might buy it, I don't buy a whole lot of books though.

Thamnophis
11-22-2006, 06:03 AM
How many languages do you know?
I might buy it, I don't buy a whole lot of books though.
Three - Dutch, English and German. We learn those at school. And at some schools kids also learn French (and in some schools you can learn Spanish too).

abcat1993
11-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Sorry to go off topic but all we can learn at our school is French and Spanish.

JChlebowy
12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Thx. for the nice and positive feedback. I'm happy to hear you guys would be interetsing in an english version of our Book. Unfortunately its not in the hands of the Authors, otherwise I had released it in a english and german version.

But if you want to get a english version done - get in touch with our publisher - Natur und Tier Verlag at Natur und Tier Verlag: Natur und Tier - Verlag GmbH (http://www.ms-verlag.de/) - ...

Again, thx for the nice feedback!

Greets

J. Chlebowy

Cazador
12-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Jurgen,
Thanks for the advise. My goal is to show that there's a market, and that it would be profitable to release your book in English. I'm certain that when enough people see the poll and read the http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/203-best-snake-books.html thread, they'll realize the value of your book and vote in favor of an English translation. When the poll results are strong enough, we'll have data to support our request to the publisher. Again, thanks for your advise.
Rick

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi Jurgen!! Welcome to the forum!! Haven't heard from you for some time!! I still want to get your book in english.... Are you totally out of garters now or still working with a few??

sschind
12-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I just ordered my Garter snake evolution and ecology book and I would probably buy the this one if were availbale in English.

Serpentine99
03-16-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd buy it as well. I do so much reading that my parents sometimes threaten to ground me, a fourteen year old boy, from reading books. But they never do. Guess they realize how silly it sounds.

GarterGirl
03-17-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm half german and I can read a little but I'd go with the english copy. (I'm one of the best readers in my class!)

charles parenteau
03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
I buy the book in german...only for the good picture I think because I don't understand anything!!! I will buy again if there english copy.

GGarter
03-22-2007, 06:07 AM
I've forgotten most of the german I learned at school, and would definately buy one in an english version.

jimijaw
04-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Id buy it as I feel you can never learn to much:D Jimi

Marcel_h
04-16-2007, 01:11 PM
My german is terrible so i would buy an english version

Markus18
04-16-2007, 02:34 PM
i read this book 20times
before i go to bed ill take a look in it:)

adamanteus
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
When the poll results are strong enough, we'll have data to support our request to the publisher.

So, how many "yes" votes do we think we'll need before we can approach the publishers about printing an English version of this book? I'm quite keen to get this book...lets have more votes on the poll!:D

Cazador
04-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I suspect that a printer wouldn't reprint a book in order to sell fewer than maybe 100 books? If the printer sells them for $35 each and sells a minimum of 100 copies, that comes to $3,500, which seems reasonable to me.

Rick

drache
04-17-2007, 03:39 AM
is there sombody working on a translation?

Cazador
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Rhea,

I'm pretty sure you're the best qualified person for the job, given your background and the fact that you've expressed interest. I suggest translating at least the first page or two of the first chapter, so that we can show the publisher (NTV-Verlag) both that there's an interest for an English version and that we (you) have the ability to do the job well. Also, be sure to keep your translation to yourself and not distribute it... just to keep everything legal before we get their permission. I'll send you more info about my plans via PM ;).

Rick

adamanteus
04-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Just a thought. Maybe we should make this thread a "sticky" to keep it on the front page. We might get more people voting in the poll!

Thamnophis
04-21-2007, 07:30 PM
I think that is a good idea.

Volksdragon
04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd like the idea. I'd also probably get a copy later on. Sounds like a good read.

adamanteus
04-25-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd like the idea. I'd also probably get a copy later on. Sounds like a good read.

Did you vote in the poll?:D

Volksdragon
04-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, I did.

adamanteus
04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
That's good, because the more "yes" votes we get, the more likely it will be that we can convince the publishers to print an English version of this book. Come on guys, if you haven't voted on the poll yet, just click in the box! We need that book.

Ameivaboy
05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I would definatley buy the book, the only garter/ribbon snake book i have is by w.p. mara published in 1994, lol i need some current literature on these guys

garterman07
05-03-2007, 02:46 PM
whats this book about??? don't mean to sound stupid or any thing but i am assuming garters or snakes but what about them makes it special?

i also am teaching my self spanish...ahora yo habla espanol con mis amigos ala esquiala pero mi espanol es peor que mi engles =) si tu habla espanol??? si asi, tu quira habla conmigo?

lol my spellings a little weak but the general idea is there

Cazador
05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Chris,
Es seguro. Me gusta hablar en Espanol, pero no lo hago mas. Cuando yo escribo en Espanol en este foro, yo siempre escribo en Engles tambien para todos a leer. Escribe conmigo en Espanol usando PMs cuando tu quieres a escribir en Espanol, bien? Tambien mira a este foro para los libros bien de los serpientes (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/misc.php?do=page&template=bestofenglish). Tambien, mira aqui a aprender mas de este libro, Strumpfbandnattern (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/203-best-snake-books.html). Hasta luego,
Rick

All,
Certainly. I like to speak in Spanish, but I don't do it much. When I write in Spanish on this forum, I always write in English also for everyone to read. Write to me in Spanish using PMs when you want to write in Spanish, okay? Also, look at this forum for good books about snakes. Also, look here for more info on the book, Strumpfbandnattern. See ya later,
Rick

adamanteus
07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
We have a whole bunch of great new members who may not have seen this thread. Have a read through, and please take part in the poll.
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/211-strumpfbandnattern.html
You need to tick "yes, I want it"!

ScimitarX
07-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Sounds like a great book, love to have it in english, im voting "yes" and hope it makes a difference.:D

joeysgreen
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Just heard about this book. It's yet to be published in English? I'll take your guy's word that it's a doozy and voted yes of course :)

Ian