PDA

View Full Version : You're Invited

Cazador
11-21-2006, 01:59 AM
It’s unbelievable how quickly this forum has taken off. Sometimes up to 3 new members join in a single day, but lately I’ve noticed up to 17 guests viewing at a time. It’s only through more and more members and greater participation that we’ll be able to find new ideas and refine different techniques. It would be great if we routinely had more members viewing than guests. Daniel recently mentioned that many of Europe’s top breeders came together to share their knowledge within the EGSA, and as a result husbandry and welfare of garters have vastly improved.

Please take this as an invitation to the many people who passively read each day’s posts to join the forum and help to improve it (and our collective knowledge). Please share your unique techniques, offer second and third opinions, or ask the questions that stimulate discussion. Actively participate in the learning process, and offer new and different points-of-view.

This is a powerful medium that we’re using, but it can be more if we work together to stimulate and exchange fresh ideas. Many of the heavy hitters in the garter snake world have yet to be heard from and are, no doubt, smiling behind their monitors as they read this :). Let's hear from you. The winter will pass quicker, and next spring will be a very prosperous one for us all. Best regards,
Rick

Markus18
11-22-2006, 09:53 AM
yes in the next spring we have a lot to talk!:)
because spring time is thamnophis time! nice photo from you cazador!!!!nice river and wood where you fishing!is it in alaska??

Cazador
11-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes, Markus. That's in one of my favorite places in Alaska. Sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) go up that stream to spawn, and fish called Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma), and Arctic grayling (Thymallus arcticus) follow the salmon to eat their eggs when they spawn. There are a lot of fish in that small stream, and I think I just caught another Dolly varden in that photo. Here's another picture of Alaska. It's where I hunt for moose (Alces alces).

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC05685.JPG

Thamnophis
11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Holy macaroni, what a landscape!!! I love it.

Gijs & Sabine
11-22-2006, 04:34 PM
WOW, we're yelous !! Here in Holland is everything flat like a pancake:D

Boots
11-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Great photo, reminds me a lot of the Rockies. I have always wanted to visit Alaska and hope to someday. While I do not hunt or fish, I have heard the gold prospecting is great.

Boots

Cazador
11-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Thank you. I love this state and love to hear when others appreciate its beauty as well. I was a little reluctant to share this photo outside of the garter snake lounge, but I'm glad people seem to approve. Best,
Rick

Thamnophis
11-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but is the area on the picture also inhabited by any Thamnophis species?

Stefan-A
11-23-2006, 03:04 AM
IIRC, T. s. parietalis is the only species of snake that is even occasionally found in Alaska.

Cazador
11-23-2006, 06:48 AM
There is apparently a fairly small population of garter snakes in the very southern portion of Alaska, but the vast majority of the state, including the areas in my pictures, has no snakes of any kind.

Markus18
11-23-2006, 09:22 AM
very nice photo!now i want to visit alaska!maybe next summer when im in canada by my uncle:-)

ssssnakeluvr
11-23-2006, 01:32 PM
I talked to Scott Felzer a couple weeks ago, suggested to him to join this site!!! hopefully he will be here soon!!!!

abcat1993
11-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Remember to upload pictures after you join!

ssssnakeluvr
11-23-2006, 02:22 PM
i have some pics uploaded in the gallery...

ytee29
11-23-2006, 11:25 PM
wow that pic is breathtaking! thanks for sharin

ssssnakeluvr
11-25-2006, 08:19 PM
what pic....

KITKAT
11-26-2006, 12:16 AM
what pic....

This one:

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/welcome-lounge/210-youre-invited.html#post1648

Spiderqwan
12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Lovely picture Rick. When I get the chance I’ll post you a view of the Manchester ship canal where I fished as a boy LOL then you will know what it means to be jealous. Old rusty shopping trolleys, broken bikes, discarded tyres and the smell of burnt out cars drifting across the water:D , oh yeah and definitely no wild life, what so ever, especially no snakes.:(