PDA

View Full Version : New here!

Lilo
11-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone, We have accuired a Garter snake that no one else seemed to want!

Never had a garter snake before, so a little bit clueless!

Poor thing hasn't been treated well, there were meal worms nibbling her tail, and she was soaking wet, with no heat/light source!

I hope to learn a little more about looking after her (we've decided it's a her!), so we can make her happy!

adamanteus
11-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi Heather, and welcome to the forum:). You might find some usefull information to get you started here;
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

Lori P
11-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Welcome, Heather! Sounds like your little snake is very lucky you came along!!! Please post any questions and hope you enjoy the forum!

Loren
11-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Heather(how'd they know your name?). I agree with Lori and James. The reason to put both heat sources on the same end is so that the other end is at room temp, so the snake can have a good temperature gradient. Make sure its not too hot using both sources- sometimes one or the other is enough.
The reason for water on the cool end is because warm water makes a good place for bacteria to grow quickly, plus the water will evaporate really fast.
If the snake is new, and nervous- leave him alone for the first couple weeks as much as possible, so he can settle in.
Oops- I meant to post this under the other thread "need help setting up" Oh, well.

Lulu Bennett
11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi Heather and welcome to the forum. If you need anythin at all then please just let us know, we are always happy to help. If there are a few of us that don't know then the chances are others will know.
There is one condition in joining this forum... And that is to post lots and lots and lots of pics :D.
Congrats on being her knight in shining armour hun and i hope everything works out fine for you but keep us updated and good luck. :D

Sid
11-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi Heather and welcome to the forum. James pointed you to a very useful link. If you don't find all the info you need, feel free to ask.

Cazador
11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Heather. A word of caution, though... this forum can become very addicting. I'm sure you'll love it here. Congrats on your new garter :). Take care,

Rick

anji1971
11-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Hello and welcome! I'm sure your new snake is very happy that you've come along to give her a nice new home! :)

Stefan-A
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Heather. :)

zooplan
11-18-2007, 11:35 PM
hello again,
we enjoy small talk, answering question and serious discussions, but want we like most are photos

drache
11-19-2007, 05:28 AM
hi Heather and welcome here
lucky little snake - can't wait to meet her too

enigma200316
11-19-2007, 07:10 AM
welcome to the forum, and good luck with your snake...........:)

Odie
11-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Heather :)

salzar
11-19-2007, 10:07 AM
hey there Heather, big hi from upstate n.y. welcome abord!!
bye
michelle
glad you saved the snake !!

Lilo
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

We went out yesterday and spent a fortune on 'decorations' for the viv!
I got a heat mat with her, but I think it's on it's last legs, so may have to invest in another shortly!
I also bought a matstat, some vines, plants, wood pieces etc!
Hope I haven't scared her too much, but now it's all in, she can settle.

She certainly likes eating as i've found, and will down 2 or 3 fuzzies at a time!

I will get some pics in the next few days, if I remember to take my camera home from work!

Lori P
11-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, that's awesome that she's eating so well for you! And yes, yes, we want pics!!:)

Snaky
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it here :)

I also like to give you a link to this article, very interesting:
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Thiamin,

Oooo yeah ... pic's pics pics, we love it:D