PDA

View Full Version : Need help in setting up!

Lilo
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone, I have 'accuired' a frightened Garter snake that no one else seemed to want!

I think I have the basics covered, but there are a few things i'm confused about...

Which side does the basking light go at? The same side as the heat mat?

Which side does the water dish go at, the hot/cool end?

Do I provide a hide at each end?

Thankyou :)

adamanteus
11-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi (again) Heather. Personally. I place the basking area and heat source at the same end, it seems logical. I have the water dish at the cool end. I provide hides all over the place to give my snakes a varied choice. Relax, welcome here, and feel free to ask your questions.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

Lori P
11-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Heather, I agree with what James does. Give the snake plenty of choices to hide, get warm, cool down...

Do you know what kind of garter it is? We'll be badgering you for pictures soon!! Ok, badgering you now! LOL

Cazador
11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Heather,

How you position your heat source(s) and whether you use both sources or only one depends primarily on the temperature of the enclosure. A good rule of thumb is to have the warm side in the mid 80s (~30C) and the cool side in the mid 70s (~24C). You want to measure the temperature at the snake's level (usually on the floor) since that's the temperature they'll experience. It matters much less what the temperature near the top of the vivarium is, unless you have branches that allow the snake to reach the top. Make sense? Have a great time setting it up, and enjoy your new snake :).

Rick

Odie
11-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Heather :)

zooplan
11-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi Heather,
welcome aboard.
Theres nothing more to say than: good Luck

Lilo
11-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Thankyou for the help and advice everyone.

A couple more questions - I got a heat mat with her, but it seems on it's way out!

I checked in a shop yesterday for a new one, but noticed 2 types....dessert and humidity ones!
Whats the difference, and which do I get?

Also, how long do garters grow?
She's approx 2 foot long...I'm not sure on her age, I know her last 'owners' had her for around 2 years.

:)

Cazador
11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
At two years old, she should be at about her maximum size, though she may grow a little more in her third year. To be absolutely correct, garters continue to grow throughout their lives, but the difference in their length isn't significant after their third year.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know what the differences in the heating mats are. Maybe it's the temperature range? Hopefully somebody else will have the answer? Best,

Rick

anji1971
11-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't know if there is a vast difference in heat mats, but I've always used the desert type,and they seem to be fine. I think the humidity ones are more for the reptiles who like moisture in the substrate all the time. Snakes prefer to be dry.

Cazador
11-19-2007, 01:51 PM
How do the humidity types work? Do you set them in a water bowl or something?

anji1971
11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't think so, I think its just for moist substrate, maybe conducts heat better? I've never really used them, so I'm just guessing there!

Lilo
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Many thanks, once again! :D

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
My preference is always soil warming cable, as used by horticulturists. It can be used moist (as in 'underground') or it can be run hot and dry, if your choice is desert species. I think it's cheaper too.

Cazador
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm really reaching back, here, but I seem to remember that heat tapes normally stay in the mid-90s F (~35C) but can get up over 100F (~38C). As I recall, they have to be used with a thermostat, right?

adamanteus
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
I think heat tapes are different from the heat cables I use.... but yes, they can run very hot and absolutely must be used with a thermostat. Unless you want to cook your snakes!

Lilo
11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Ok, viv all set up now, and i've actually gone for the light at the cooler end.
The temp at the cooler end was fairly low (my living room is cold!), and seeing as the light is only on in the evening for a few hours, I didn't think it would matter too much (I hope!).

I tried to hold her today - she really HATES being held - any tips? Just do it a little at a time?
She also musked (is that the right word?) on me - yuck!

I will go take some pics of her viv and her in it!

Cazador
11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Heather,

When you pick her up, let her crawl from hand to hand. Don't try to restrain her. She'll move like mad, but she'll settle down after a while and get some exercise in the process. You might also consider giving her a swim in the bathtub. Keep the water about 28-30C and only about 2.5-5cm deep. After she starts to tire, offer her your hand. If she doesn't come to you, she's probably not tired enough. It'll cause her to associate your hand with safety. Just don't keep her swimming for over about 10 minutes. I like to dry them off before putting them back in their cage, and I also like to wash them with a mild dish soap (like Ivory) when I'm almost done. It might take a few attemps, but I've had good success this way. Best regards,

Rick

Lilo
11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Thankyou for the advice Rick!
I will give it a day or so then try her again, as I don't want to stress her too much!
I will deffinately try the bathtub swimming idea!

Will keep you updated :)

Lilo
11-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Just to add, here is a pic of her, sorry it's not great!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/teagan01/DSCN1900.jpg

Cazador
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
She's a great looking snake and will look even better after her bath... I mean swim ;).

drache
11-21-2007, 05:56 AM
she's a beauty, Heather
and I don't think there is any reason to apologize for the picture

Lori P
11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Heather, she's really nice!! Hopefully she will settle for you before too long. :-)

anji1971
11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Pretty snake! Lucky you to have acquired her!:)

RZL36
11-21-2007, 09:25 AM
If you are concerned about a lack of humidity put the lamp over the water bowl. Of course it will dry out faster, but the air will be more moist (which is good right before a shed). My florida blues get that set-up and seem to react to it very well.

Lilo
11-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Lilo had her 'bath' today, and was happy for me to hold her afterwards!
We got a few piccies...

Also, I managed to get one of her tail, inc the damage she has :(
The big question, is...is Lilo a he or a she?!

Lilo's tail
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Hevvur/tail.jpg

Not thrashing, and didn't even musk on me!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Hevvur/DSCN1904.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Hevvur/DSCN1905.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v447/Hevvur/DSCN1908.jpg

Lilo
11-23-2007, 05:33 PM
After looking at other pics, I'm thinking Lilo is actually a male?

Are Corn snakes sexed in the same way, cos if so, Colin is a she lol

Cazador
11-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I'll vote that Lilo is a female, and I'm glad the bath helped out. I just love that trick, but don't be surprised if you have to repeat it once in a while.

Rick

Lilo
11-24-2007, 03:11 AM
I'll vote that Lilo is a female, and I'm glad the bath helped out. I just love that trick, but don't be surprised if you have to repeat it once in a while.

Rick

lol, shows how good I am at sexing snakes lol

Thanks though, we were hoping she was a female, as she suits her name - not that it matters!

adamanteus
11-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Looks like a female to me.:)

Odie
11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Looks female to me :confused:

MoJo
11-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Congrats on the beautiful snake. I would agree that Lilo looks like a female. Corns are slightly different, but if you post a photo then I am sure there are members here who can help tell you if Colin is a she or a he.