PDA

View Full Version : sudden dehydration?

drache
11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
I just found Jasper in his enclosure - upside down
right now he is floating in a bowl of water with electrolytes, but I'm not terribly hopeful
it's the only thing I can think of doing
he didn't eat on Tuesday, but he also looked a little dull and I can't remember the last time he shed
oh no - he just went into a horrible spasm

he just died
oh no
poor Mikhaila

I have no idea what happened

CrazyHedgehog
11-17-2007, 07:44 PM
terribly sorry rhea

anji1971
11-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Oh Rhea, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's awful when things like this happen. Give Mikhaila a hug for me.:(:(:(

Loren
11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Sorry Rhea. Unfortunately, in our hobby, these things do happen sometimes, and not always because we did anything wrong either. I have kept many many reptiles, and sadly, I do loose one from time to time for unknown and unexpected causes, so dont beat yourself up for it.
The fact that you are on this forum so much tells me that you have done your research, and care about your snakes.
Take care.

Cazador
11-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Holy smoke, Rhea. I'm really sorry to hear about this. Let us know if you decide to have the vet take a post-mortem look at it, though. What a mystery!

drache
11-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm still not quite getting it
I'll have to tell Mikhaila in the morning and I am not looking forward to it
Jasper is the maritime Terry gave her
and after an initial pickyness with food, he'd taken to f/t pinkies without much fuss
I was not in the least worried about him, so I feel a bit blind-sided

zooplan
11-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh Rhea,
that realy bad news early in the morning to me.
Sorry for your loss and soryy for you to have to tell it Mikhaila.
I know nothing is worse than a crying child but to know youŽll have to make it crying.
I wish to be able to revive Jasper

Stefan-A
11-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Damn. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss there, Rhea (and Mikhaila). :(

MoJo
11-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is awful when they die suddenly and you have no idea what happened. Give Mikhaila a big hug. Kids are amazingly resilient.

Joanna

stonyloam
11-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Rhea, sorry to hear about Jasper. Don't blame ourself, sometimes bad things just happen. Maybe with a little luck you can get some babies from Chloe in the summer. Give Mikhaila a hug for me.:(

Sid
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Rhea, really sorry to hear the terrible news.:(

adamanteus
11-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Sorry to hear your news, Rhea.:(

drache
11-18-2007, 04:14 AM
thanks for your empathy - it helps
also - I got a lucky break last night as well
when I discovered Jasper, I'd just taken a snake out of the tank next door to put into a feeding enclosure
then I discovered Jasper and got busy with him and upset and posted here and all that
I don't know how much time that took, but when I went to return the snake from the feeding enclosure I found that I had left her enclosure (sliding doors) wide open - with three other snakes in residence
these are my three girls I've had the longest (Sammy, Whizzy, Thing) and I went into a small panic when I saw the door open
apparently they are so used to captive life that the open door held no attraction for them
they were all piled up in the hide
whew!
of course I felt like an idiot for my carelessness - even if it was because of an emergency
I could have ended up with a heap more grief and upset and I'm super grateful that didn't happen

Lori P
11-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Rhea, I'm so so sorry!!! And poor Mikhaila. Give her hugs from me...

CrazyHedgehog
11-19-2007, 06:36 AM
hi Rhea, the only time I have had a snake lie upside down and die was when I left the tank outside for 10 mins while I cleaned the main tank, the sun came round the corner and super heated the poor thing. no chance it could have been a heat thing? (just trying to help you make sense of awful situation?)

drache
11-19-2007, 08:10 AM
no
the tank's been set up for months now with no changes
his three cage mates are totally fine
it was just him, the poor sweet thing

Snaky
11-20-2007, 04:10 AM
So sad to hear, Rhea :(
They are fragile sometimes, the little ones... I've had some deaths like that to ( well with snakes coming from me ). They seem to be doing ok for months and overnight they suddenly died on me. They where of a first litter though, I think a first litter is always a bit more fragile...