PDA

View Full Version : Placid Garters

Glen
11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
hi can anyone tell me what most placid species of garter is, and also what the smaller species are?

i am limited for space as well as not liking getting bitten! :mad:

Cazador
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Glen,
Garters, in general, are known to be very calm, and they rarely bite. The wild caught ones are more likely to bite, but even then, they bluff more often than bite. If you buy just about any captive born specimen, it is more likely to be even more docile and friendly than a wild caught one.

abcat1993
11-20-2006, 03:20 PM
I think the smallest species is atratus. I am no exp3rt but I heard somewhere that they were. And I agree with Cazador, my snake is calm unless you are holding it or make sudden movements while it's looking at you (it's wildcaught)

ssssnakeluvr
11-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Shortheaded garters are someof the smallest, tho hard to come by. Most garters are fairly calm. You can get a male of any species, they tend to be smaller than the females.

Daniel
11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi Glen,

smaller garters that should be available are: shortheads, butlers, ordinoides.

Perhaps itīs an alternative for you to gain some informations about brownsnakes. Very interesting snakes and they mostly stay smaller than 30 to 40 cm. But they are specialized in worms as food.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Cazador
11-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi again Glen,
Since there are so many species and subspecies of garters, I'd suggest looking at pictures online. See which ones you find the most interesting/beautiful, and then ask about the size of that particular species or subspecies. Thamnophis made an incredible website that conveniently shows each one very clearly (Kousebandslangen.nl (http://www.kousebandslangen.nl/)).