PDA

View Full Version : Bugs!

bionicmomma
11-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey there, it's been quite a while since I posted. I was lucky enough to get my little albino garter to eat and grow well. However the last few days have been odd. I came home the other day to find my tank had fallen over and the snake was MIA. Luckily we found him safe and sound. Tonight I came home to find he had wedged himself through the small hole at the top of his coconut house. After some coaxing we were able to get him out, but after I put him back in his house I found that his whole tank is COVERED in little bugs! :eek: Any idea what they are? How do I get rid of them?

zooplan
11-08-2007, 11:21 PM
First of all you should clean and wash the whole enclosure and interior.
Substitude everything thats easy to renew.
Frost or heat will be effective to kill those bugs and eggs you could not wash away.
Maybe they are ony springtails or something similar that are eating rotten material in soil or other bedding in the enclosure.

Bay_area
11-08-2007, 11:57 PM
what do they look like:confused:

bionicmomma
11-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Very very tiny and fast and they are everywhere! Smaller then fleas and larger then mites. I did as Udo suggested and I'm doing a diluted bleach bath on his log and I am following cleaning protocol that I use at the Oakland Zoo. It's just the first time I've encountered these pests.

adamanteus
11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
They sound like springtails or thrips, as Udo says they are thriving in the terrarium environment. They're obviously not welcome, but at least they're harmless.