PDA

View Full Version : Lost Radix

RZL36
11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
I just lost my baby radix. She keeps coming back to eat nearly every day and then promptly disappears. I tried to catch her in a soda bottle with fish, but she takes the fish and then gets out. I am a little hesitant to use a glue trap, b/c I am away most of the day and am afraid she will panic and really hurt herself.

Any advice?

I'm really in a bad way with this thing

adamanteus
11-08-2007, 12:43 PM
You need to stay patient, Rich...and don't overfeed her in the trap...if she's full she may wander off. Maybe some help here.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Finding_a_Lost_Snake

RZL36
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm only giving one at a time. I was worried about overfeeding too.

James, I gotta tell you. I haven't lost a snake in well over ten years (my last lost snake was my ball python when I was ten) and it sucks. What do you think about glue traps?

adamanteus
11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I would only use glue traps if you're around to rescue her. Presumably you know approximately what time she's coming to feed? I guess you've got to 'play statues', then grab her!

zooplan
11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Donīt use a glue tape!!!!!
Iīve lost some baby snakes years ago.
I used the tape to close the airing of an enclosure.
I was sure that the unfixed parts would not paste anymore.
But they were traped on it and I was not able to get them off.:(

Lori P
11-08-2007, 05:44 PM
At least she knows where to come eat, Rich... you're on the right track... you WILL get her!!!!

anji1971
11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Sounds like she's enjoying her little freedom spree, Rich! You'll need extra patience with that little turkey!:D
Good luck!

drache
11-08-2007, 07:36 PM
don't use glue traps
if you don't get to her real fast, she can hurt herself badly
hope you catch her

RZL36
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
If you see her let me know.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/100_0598.jpg

anji1971
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Awwww, she's so cute! If I see her, she's mine.......ha ha!;)

Lori P
11-09-2007, 05:54 PM
LOL Anji, I was thinking the same thing... suuuuuuure we'll return her to you, Rich, really!!

Just keep feeding in the same spot... surely she'll hang around the feed source, right? Really pulling for you and her Rich!!

RZL36
11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't think she is gonna keep coming back. The house is kinda cool and she is probably looking for a hibernation spot.

If you guys find her, you better let me know (shaking fist vigorously).

Lori P
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Er-- uh-- right-- (Oh dear, I better take down all the little tiny signs leading to my house...):D

RZL36
11-09-2007, 06:02 PM
No need to worry. If you found her, you could keep her.

Finders keepers, losers weepers.

In light of how mad I am at that little girl, I would think it best for her to stay away for a little bit.

MoJo
11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
She is beautiful. I hope you find her.

I seem to remember someone saying that the blue tape that painters use is not that sticky that it will harm them but it will "catch" them. I have no experience with this and only vaguely remember this from some board. I know that I have read about numerous people using vegetable/olive oil to get their snakes off of tape when they are stuck to it.

Good Luck.

Joanna

drache
11-10-2007, 05:16 AM
I've heard of peaople using tape and i don't think I ever would
when we first moved here I lost a snake that turned up a couple of weeks later stuck to some packing tape
we used the cheapest possible packing tape and I'm fairly certain that it's no more sticky than the blue painter's tape and yet the snake had ripped its side open trying to get off it
if you cannot be there to get to the tape right away - don't use it

Cazador
11-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I've also heard some pretty bad stories about glue traps and garter snakes... like ventral scales being pulled off and scarring the garters. Maybe it's not such a big deal with larger snakes, but I certainly wouldn't recommend using tape on garters. It sounds liek patience is the ticket since she's hanging around.

For what its worth, I lost a garter one time, and found it in the garage (where it was cool) with its head resting on the lid of a plastic bowl where I kept worms. The cool temperature made the snake lethargic, yet it was attracted to the scent. It was very easy to walk over and pick the snake up without it trying to flee at all. Do you have (or could you make) a cool spot to put the fish "trap?"

Rick

RZL36
11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah Rick,

She hasn't been around in almost a week, but I do have plans to pull the room apart again. My trap is a 2 liter bottle with some minnows in it under a light. She came back a few times, but has not in a while and I am starting to get really nervous about it. Plus it is really starting to get cold out here (New Jersey) and I am hoping she is not looking for a good hibernation den. I'm sure underneath the floorboards of my 150 year old house could provide.

Cazador
11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey Rich,

There is always hope. I've heard of people basically giving up on lost snakes and finding them months later, wondering how they survived without being given food and water. They're really amazing and great survivalists!

Rick

RZL36
11-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I have not given up hope yet and I swear I hear it in my bedroom at night. When I find her, she is so grounded. What would be adequate punishment for a juvie plains? I'm gonna force feed her a pink I think. ;

Odie
11-14-2007, 10:42 AM
No, TV for a week :mad:

RZL36
11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
hahhhahaha. I agree. I'm gonna take away her cellphone too.

Ironically, my pine snake watches TV. Pituophis are known to have bad vision (just try picking one up right before a shed), but he is always looking up at it. I'm guessing the motion gets his tongue flicking. I think he likes hockey the most.

anji1971
11-14-2007, 11:09 AM
That's interesting, cause the little Dekay's I just got seems to be very intrigued by the TV too! Every time it's on, he's either on his branch, or right up against the side of the tank with his little eyes glued to it. Must be all the motion!

RZL36
11-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Anji, does he like the Maple Leafs?

anji1971
11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
He'd darn well better not!!!! We're all Montreal fans here (it's a French thing!):D

RZL36
11-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh Man. Canadiens de Montreal fans in Windsor. Best be careful.

I'm one to talk. Huge Penguins fan in the middle of Jersey Devil country.

Cazador
11-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Rich,

You could try spreading newspaper out on the bedroom floor if you think she's in the bedroom. It makes a lot of noise when a snake crawls across it.

Rick

RZL36
11-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow, never thought of that. That makes pretty good sense. Will do.

Thanks Rick

Stefan-A
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
How about tin foil?

KITKAT
11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Best is to tape down (duct tape) the edges, so the snake has to cross instead of hiding underneath.?

Cazador
11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Good idea, Kitkat. If he only tapes one side (the side nearest the escape route/wall), the snake might crawl under there at night and trap itself. Then he could lift the paper in the morning to see if it's resting under there.

KITKAT
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Good idea, Kitkat. If he only tapes one side (the side nearest the escape route/wall), the snake might crawl under there at night and trap itself. Then he could lift the paper in the morning to see if it's resting under there.

Great idea developing here! How about a little "minnow juice" soaked into one corner of the paper?:eek:

RZL36
11-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm about to leave work early to implement these things.

Cazador
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Great idea developing here! How about a little "minnow juice" soaked into one corner of the paper?:eek:

Couldn't hurt. I'd also leave the 2L bottle with the live fish in the middle of the room, though.

RZL36
11-15-2007, 08:42 AM
No luck yesterday or last night. Gotta go minnow buying today for the marcianus, will get some extras and do the two liter trick again.