PDA

View Full Version : Need to know more....

anji1971
11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
.....about Dekay's snakes (storeria dekayi). I am most graciously being given one, (YAY!!):):) but first I must research more!
Found most of the info I need, but I am a bit unclear on some details.
1. What is the best temperature range for them, I hear warmer than garters, but how much warmer? Will a heat pad be enough?? A lamp too??
2. They eat worms and slugs, also soft-bodied insects. Problem is.. the little worms that they need will be hard to find when the ground freezes soon. Can I feed it mealworms, or little baby crickets that don't have a hard shell yet? Are they known to eat fish at all?
Any additional info would be greatly appreciated, I'm pretty confident that I can take care of the little feller, but I like to know everything I possibly can! And this is probably the best place to find out!

And just for the record -- Garterking is my new BESTEST friend!!!!!!:D:D:D

drache
11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Anji
my ringneck snake took blackworms
most pet shops carry those
and congrats

Sid
11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
.....about Dekay's snakes (storeria dekayi). I am most graciously being given one, (YAY!!):):) but first I must research more!
1. What is the best temperature range for them, I hear warmer than garters, but how much warmer? Will a heat pad be enough?? A lamp too??
2. They eat worms and slugs, also soft-bodied insects. Problem is.. the little worms that they need will be hard to find when the ground freezes soon. Can I feed it mealworms, or little baby crickets that don't have a hard shell yet? Are they known to eat fish at all?
Any additional info would be greatly appreciated, I'm pretty confident that I can take care of the little feller, but I like to know everything I possibly can! And this is probably the best place to find out!

From my own experience, slugs can usually be found the year round. Never tried mealworms or crickets, but couldn't hurt anything to try. I've kept them in the same area as my garters...same temps.
They are mainly nocturnal, so they stay burrowed a lot in the day time. Give it a good place to hide and it will be happy.

anji1971
11-04-2007, 05:59 AM
So can I actually keep it with the garter? This little Dekays is tiny, Deejay might think it looks more like lunch than a companion! I was thinking of just putting the little one in the small terrarium Deejay started out in, till it grows a bit. I'm not sure this one is much more than half-grown yet. I'm already gathering some small containers and things to make hides.

KITKAT
11-04-2007, 06:23 AM
So can I actually keep it with the garter? This little Dekays is tiny, Deejay might think it looks more like lunch than a companion! I was thinking of just putting the little one in the small terrarium Deejay started out in, till it grows a bit. I'm not sure this one is much more than half-grown yet. I'm already gathering some small containers and things to make hides.

It's a usual opinion among herp keepers that you should not mix species in a viv. That little Dekays might be lunch.

anji1971
11-04-2007, 06:51 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I had to ask, just in case! At any rate, if I keep the little guy separately, then it just leaves me more tanks, and room to collect more garters. How can I complain about that???;)

drache
11-04-2007, 07:00 AM
didn't quite get that reasoning
but if it lets you get more garters, it must be sound
or wait
I want to learn how to do this
you say when you keep him seperately you end up with more tanks?
and more room?

Lori P
11-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I *think* she means it leaves her more room in the garter tank?? But Anji, if you have discovered a way to keep the tanks multiplying, please let us know!! LOL :-)

anji1971
11-04-2007, 08:46 AM
What I mean is.........
Deejay is in a 10G tank right now, but I am moving her to a 20G this week. The new guy is going into a small terrarium I have in the basement. When I move Deejay, she will be in a big enough tank to share with another garter someday, and the newly empty 10G will now be ready for another garter, plus i have another 10G in the basement for a future garter. So I guess I don't have more tanks, just that I found a use for the real small one, so I can continue to find garters to fill up the rest. I don't know if this actually clarifies things or just makes it more confusing, but hey, I know what I mean.....:o

anji1971
11-04-2007, 08:48 AM
And no, Lori, I still can't make the tanks multiply................been looking everywhere for tank seeds, tank- bush cuttings, even put two tanks really close together in case they mated...........but nothing, go figure!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

drache
11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
it's all clear to me now

Lori P
11-04-2007, 01:39 PM
And no, Lori, I still can't make the tanks multiply................been looking everywhere for tank seeds, tank- bush cuttings, even put two tanks really close together in case they mated...........but nothing, go figure!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ROFL!!!!!!!!! Keep trying Anji!!!!! :D

garterking
11-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Awwww, somebody has a new BESTEST friend. I wonder who that is. :D. I haven't tried the feeder guppies yet, the store was out. I have a source for worms year round. I cut nightcrawlers into smaller pieces for him and he seems to handle them good. That is when he's not being fussy. These guys are the absolute best at pushing your buttons, be prepared. LOL

Mike

stonyloam
11-04-2007, 09:48 PM
[quote=Sid;32104]From my own experience, slugs can usually be found the year round.

Maybe in S.C. but not up here in the north country. stuff freezes solid here.:D I have never tried it (no reason to) but it seems as though it would be possible to raise slugs. A glass jar, toss in a bunch of slugs and feed then something like lattice leaves. Ought to work, they seen to thrive on that stuff in my garden. Good luck. :)

drache
11-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Anji
my ringneck snake took blackworms
most pet shops carry those
and congrats
seriously - try the blackworms
they're tiny worms that stores carry for fish
you get a clump of them in water in a small container
I'd put a little clump of them in his water bowl and see

sschind
11-05-2007, 09:13 AM
What I mean is.........
Deejay is in a 10G tank right now, but I am moving her to a 20G this week. The new guy is going into a small terrarium I have in the basement. When I move Deejay, she will be in a big enough tank to share with another garter someday, and the newly empty 10G will now be ready for another garter, plus i have another 10G in the basement for a future garter. So I guess I don't have more tanks, just that I found a use for the real small one, so I can continue to find garters to fill up the rest. I don't know if this actually clarifies things or just makes it more confusing, but hey, I know what I mean.....:o

Ah... the empty tank syndrome. I move my snake up now I have an empty tank. Its a herp retailers best friend. Now you know why we never take old tanks in on trade. With an empty one chances are eventually you will buy something to put in it and it just might be from us.

As far as the tank multiplying goes, I tried my own cuttings the other day, although quite unintentionally. I was washing a 40 breeder and dropped it and it shattered in to a bunch of little pieces. I thought of the planarian regeneration experiments I did in high school and thought "if only"

anji1971
11-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Awwww, somebody has a new BESTEST friend. I wonder who that is. :D. I haven't tried the feeder guppies yet, the store was out. I have a source for worms year round. I cut nightcrawlers into smaller pieces for him and he seems to handle them good. That is when he's not being fussy. These guys are the absolute best at pushing your buttons, be prepared. LOL

Mike

Oh, I can handle button-pushing! I have two kids!!!!!!!!!:D:D
As far as the worms go, I plan to go a-digging and stockpile a whole bunch of those little ones that always show up when you turn the soil over. And I'll probably grab a few little slugs too, seem to have a plethora of those slimy little buggers in my garden!

anji1971
11-05-2007, 09:21 AM
u know what,,if u want u can give the snake to me so you wont have to worry about what tank to put him in,,,i dont mind...lol

Nice try, Brandon, but I think with all the snakes you've acquired lately, you should be trying to be my new bestest friend, too, and send some MY way!!!!!!:D:D:D

seriously - try the blackworms
they're tiny worms that stores carry for fish
you get a clump of them in water in a small container
I'd put a little clump of them in his water bowl and see

I've never seen blackworms at the store I go to, but I'll ask, and if they're for fish I'll look elsewhere, since the store I use carries mainly exotic pets. Anythings worth a try!:)

BTW, looks like I'll be getting my new baby sometime next week, so by then his current caretaker will have plenty of info on how he's been for feeding!
Can't wait!!!!!:cool:

drache
11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I've never seen blackworms at the store I go to, but I'll ask, and if they're for fish I'll look elsewhere, since the store I use carries mainly exotic pets. Anythings worth a try!:)

BTW, looks like I'll be getting my new baby sometime next week, so by then his current caretaker will have plenty of info on how he's been for feeding!

it's great to get up-front info
at the stores I go to they generally keep the blackworms refrigerated - often in a staff only area

garterking
11-05-2007, 09:52 AM

I'll give you the info now Anji, and I'm sure other here can back me up. The Dekay's are all fussy and when it comes to feeding, this one is no different. He can be a real pain in the..........you know. But he has starting to become more comfy in his house. Worms are his only interest lately. I hope he adjust quickly to you.

anji1971
11-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I'll give you the info now Anji, and I'm sure other here can back me up. The Dekay's are all fussy and when it comes to feeding, this one is no different. He can be a real pain in the..........you know. But he has starting to become more comfy in his house. Worms are his only interest lately. I hope he adjust quickly to you.

I hope so, too. I'm trying to set up a home for him that will be comfy too. What are you keeping him in right now? I plan on using a 12by12 inch square terrarium, figured if he likes to be hidden the smaller space might make him feel more secure -- think that'll be okay, or should i find something with more floor space?

salzar
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
hi,
I have one, there so easy to keep . mine likes the pad on the bottom of the tank and I supply no extra light for him, just natural day light, he eats slugs but I would stay away from mealworms. they killed one of my geckos and an anolie.
very bad!! earth worms work well just cut them in to smaller slug size pieces for the little darling, and I hand feed mine.
I would keep him in the 10 gallon tank that you mentioned and give him plenty of hide boxes and pine combs to help him shed too. mine has a cut up sleave made of cotton to hide in over the heating pad its great, he also mills about the day too, so get him a branch to pearch on as well. I have had sal for 6 months + and he is so easy to hold and has never musked me , the more you handle them , the better they get , mine lets me know when he wants water and is very courius about his siroundings.
some times he will skip a day of eating and 2 days later will eat 4 slugs , too funny , he then looks bloated , and can not fit in to some of his hide holes untill he sleeps it off!!
one more thing keep your shirt colors to gray and tan , red and orange scare mine, and patterned shirts are scarry to him , he thinks that there are snakes on my shirt if its got lines on it , just gets very skittish!! hope this helps bye
michelle

garterking
11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I hope so, too. I'm trying to set up a home for him that will be comfy too. What are you keeping him in right now? I plan on using a 12by12 inch square terrarium, figured if he likes to be hidden the smaller space might make him feel more secure -- think that'll be okay, or should i find something with more floor space?

I think that will be fine for now, but he does like to roam around a lot. I have him in an extra 30 gallon right now so he almost gets lost in it. LOL
He has a great personality. Never musk me, and settles right down in the palm of your hand when handled. accually a cute little guy, just a fussy eater.

anji1971
11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
@ Michelle: thanks for all the info and suggestions, it's always nice to hear from someone who has one! Though it sounds like I may "need" a new wardrobe! I have lots of colours in mine!
Everything I've read about these little guys says they are pretty docile snakes, so I hope I can get mine to eat out of my hand eventually too. Deejay already does, and I don't like to feed them in the tank in case they accidentally eat the bedding.

Garterking, it sounds like maybe he would prefer the bigger tank, so maybe I'll give him the 10G.
Now what the hell I'm going to do with the little dinky tank is beyond me -- maybe a gecko or something.........sigh.......:rolleyes:

salzar
11-05-2007, 01:58 PM
any time just ask, glad to help.. have fun and keep on tryin to feed him, if he is hungry enuff he will eat ...
bye michelle