PDA

View Full Version : FINAL burmation question

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
my puget breeding pair has been cleaned out and now I've put them in their burmation enclosures and slowly been reducing light i will do this for 3 days then i will move them to either my closet-65f-day 62f-night or my fireplace that I've never used-60f-day 55-57f night which one should i do? i will do that for a week then i will move them to their 4 cubic feet refrigerator and i was thinking of putting the temp to 45f for 2-3 months, is that good?

zooplan
11-02-2007, 12:59 AM
My oppinon is:
Put them to the closet first.

Cazador
11-02-2007, 01:21 AM
To be honest, as long as they're otherwise healthy (i.e. parasite free and in good condition), either method will work just fine. We often "pamper" them because we care so much about them, but consider the wild temperature fluctuations in nature between fall day and night temperatures. Differences may range greater than 30 degrees F. The point is that you should use the method that you're comfortable with, but your snakes will be fine in either location.

My method of choice is to drop them to about 39-41F for around four months before bringing them back out. I think the cooler temps are more natural, but I raise "Northern" snakes and have had very good success this way. I've also had success with only brumating them for 8 weeks (and know people who have bred them after only 6 weeks), so again there's a wide range in "what will work."

Rick

mikm
11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
reed, Sounds like you have a well thought out plan there ... Nice :)

Best Wishes,

adamanteus
11-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Sounds as though you really have your head around the whole brumation issue, Reed. I admire your confidence and bravery, as this will be your first time brumating your snakes. Good luck, and well done.:)

rwgsnakes
11-02-2007, 06:47 AM
I thought it had to be colder than that? like 40-50? im an aquiring a mini frig to burm. my snakes, might not get it in time so i might wait till next winter.

anji1971
11-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Good luck with everything, Reed! Sounds like you really know what you're doing, so if I ever have to brumate(burmate? Which one is it anyhow????) I think I'll just send mine over to you!!:D

adamanteus
11-02-2007, 07:37 AM
brumate, burmate? Which one is it anyhow????):D

It's actually brumate, but we all know what he's talking about!:)

anji1971
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks, James! I see both written quite often, and because I'm lazy, rather than research(YUK!) to find out, I just wait for someone else to tell me!:D:D

adamanteus
11-02-2007, 07:43 AM
I can't fault you for that, Anji! I do the same thing... I write any old rubbish and then wait for Stefan (our Google master) to put me right!:D

anji1971
11-02-2007, 07:44 AM
All hail Stefan!!! There, we just found his super-power!!;);)

adamanteus
11-02-2007, 07:45 AM
I love it when the threads cross! All hail "Stefan The Google Master"!:D

Stefan-A
11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
YES! That's it! I'll be "The Googler". Omniscient by proxy!

anji1971
11-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm not sure if "The Googler" is the best title -- sounds like something that could mean something else entirely...............:p:p

Stefan-A
11-02-2007, 08:09 AM
I know, it's perfect. :D

anji1971
11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
LOL, of course it is! Silly me -- what was I thinking??:p:p:p

adamanteus
11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Would you like me to change your "user title" Stefan?

Stefan-A
11-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Didn't know you could do stuff like that. Don't bother, it's not that funny.

Lori P
11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I dunno, I'm still snickering over it, Oh Omniscient Fire Googler!!

Stefan-A
11-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Omniscient by proxy, and I only provide the spark, James provides the flatulence.

Lori P
11-02-2007, 01:26 PM
:DWith his large donkey!!!!!!!!!!!

Lulu Bennett
11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
hi guys,
i thought i would stick to this thread instead of start another but what are the day and night temps needed for burmation? i dont remember coming across this Q before.
i want to put my marcys in the garage but have found it to be about 55f in the day and 50 at night. i wasn't sure if this is low enough.

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-12-2007, 12:10 AM
well i searched them and their locales seem to be hot places so i guess that would be ok

hi guys,
i thought i would stick to this thread instead of start another but what are the day and night temps needed for burmation? i dont remember coming across this Q before.
i want to put my marcys in the garage but have found it to be about 55f in the day and 50 at night. i wasn't sure if this is low enough.

enigma200316
11-12-2007, 12:20 PM
hi guys,

I can't remember where but I seen that 50-55 is an ok temp to brumate at............:)

Lulu Bennett
11-13-2007, 03:50 PM
ok thanks a million guys, i can start cooling them now then lol

adamanteus
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Some of mine are down for brumation already (concinnus, melanistic sirtalis). The rest will go down over the next two weeks. I won't brumate my marcianus as they've been mating, and I feel my pickeringii aren't strong enough, so I'll keep them warm right through the winter this year.

Lulu Bennett
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
my marcys have just about reached 3 weeks without food so should be poo free lol going to start shortening the daylight over the next week and put them in the garage under a sheet so it is dark.
how does this sound?

adamanteus
11-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Sounds good. Keep a check on the garage temperature though, as we get deeper into the winter. Don't want to freeze!

Cazador
11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
hi guys,
What are the day and night temps needed for burmation?
I want to put my marcys in the garage but have found it to be about 55f in the day and 50 at night. i wasn't sure if this is low enough.

Lulu,

There are a couple schools of thought for the right temp for brumation, and neither are "wrong." I've used 55F before, but I've had better luck with breeding (i.e. longer courtship when breeding doesn't occur right away) by using cooler temps (around 40F). I just leave them at 40F and do not alter the temperature for day/night. Cooler temperatures also cause them to use less energy, which leaves more for reproduction. I also use a long brumation (about 4 months), but others have success with shorter periods (at least 6 weeks). Anything within these windows will surely work for you. If you choose warmer temperatures (~55F), then don't brumate them for as long (less than 4 months). The main thing is not to expose brumating snakes to sudden temperature changes... particularily sudden drops in temp because it can be lethal.

Rick

Lulu Bennett
11-13-2007, 05:39 PM
james, i have realised that the night i checked the temps was the night it was -4c so that is the coldest it has been but i will check on the temp every day and also check on them every week.
it seems at the moment i cant get it loweras its nature lol but it will get lower.
as long as i know 55 is low enough to lower the metabolism(sp?) so they dont get skinny.
OMG i am soooo worried with this being my first lol

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-13-2007, 05:51 PM
im feeling the same way, how large are yours?

james, i have realised that the night i checked the temps was the night it was -4c so that is the coldest it has been but i will check on the temp every day and also check on them every week.
it seems at the moment i cant get it loweras its nature lol but it will get lower.
as long as i know 55 is low enough to lower the metabolism(sp?) so they dont get skinny.
OMG i am soooo worried with this being my first lol

Lulu Bennett
11-13-2007, 05:54 PM
kia (female) is about 2 foot and sissle (male) is about 1.5 lol

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-13-2007, 05:59 PM
those are very well sized and if there healthy im pretty sure 55 degrees will be perfectly fine, lol :eek: im so nervous for my snakies if any of them died because i had decided to put the into brumation i would be devistated

kia (female) is about 2 foot and sissle (male) is about 1.5 lol