PDA

View Full Version : Waiting

Kaabi
07-15-2006, 09:03 AM
How long do you think you should wait before trying to breed your garter snakes? Of course this question is directed at people who have male and female garter snakes. So, how long before stimulating mating (which would just be putting them together, right?)

Jan
07-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Hello Kaabi,

my experience is that waiting until the snakes are at least three years old is best for them. After hibernation they can get together in a terrarium and mostly they start to mate immediately. Sometimes the female will shed before mating, but as an example this year my Garter Snakes were ready to mate one or two days after ending of hibernation.

Best regards

Jan.

Brian
07-27-2006, 11:45 PM
I'd say two years old for males and three years old for females at a minimum usually.

Loise
07-29-2006, 02:06 PM
wow.. I was realy miss informed.. I have read that they are okey to mate in about 18 months!:eek:

which sounded a bit of for me who practis the 3/3/3 rule with my corns.

this forum is great!!:p

Brian
07-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Loise, you can sometimes breed them in 18 months if you don't hibernate them the first year and instead grow them up durring that first winter, but two years allows you to hibernate them properly both years. 18 months isn't unfeasable for males with hibernation both years.