PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

Lori P
10-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Ok, how about someone explaining all these terms I keep seeing... like axanthic, hypo, anery, and... er... other terms I can't recall right now...
:-)
Thanks!!!!

EdgyExoticReptiles
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
lol im just starting to get these things to lori there very confusing :eek: i think albino- lacking pigment, melanistic- black morph, anery- is like a blue-ish black-ish morph or a black-ish white-ish morph dpends on species but thats all i know

Ok, how about someone explaining all these terms I keep seeing... like axanthic, hypo, anery, and... er... other terms I can't recall right now...
Thanks!!!!

adamanteus
10-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks!!!!

Albino.........................Lacking all pigment.
Axanthic.....................Lacking yellow pigment.
Anery..(anerythristic)... Lacking red pigment.
Amelanistic..................Lacking black pigment.

Lulu Bennett
10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
so if i mix an albino and an axanthic together i get a snow?

Lori P
10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks James!! :-) You are such a wealth of information!! So are those all the terms? What about lacking blue??

zooplan
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
albino is lacking of all pigments has to be used for marmals only
amelanistic and albino is used for the same= lacking black pigment
amelanistic+anerythristic=snow
amelanistic+anerythristic+axantic=blizzard

amelanistic, snow and blizzard are looking pinkish if the are neonates but become more whitish when they are adults, because the skin becomes thicker too.

enigma200316
10-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks James!! :-) You are such a wealth of information!! So are those all the terms? What about lacking blue??

there are many other terms, take a little at a time its easier that way...:)

zooplan
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
blue is caused by black pigments

enigma200316
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
that would be pretty neat to see, an all blue snake, and I don't mean a dark bluish color I mean a lighter blue color.....:)

Lori P
10-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you too Udo!! This explains SO MUCH to me!! SO.... I have not seen any snow or blizzard garters... are there any being bred or is there a reason not too?? I would LOVE a pure white snake...

And again, because I'm blonde... it takes a while for it to sink in sometimes :-) ... it's ok to breed color morphs (is that the right word) but not encouraged to breed hybrids, right? Because a color morph is still a "purebred" snake, just a different color.

So why can't I have my purple snake??? LOL :D

adamanteus
10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure, Lori, but I think you could find marcianus and radix in the so called blizzard and snow morphs. But normal colouration is so much more attractive, I think.
Blonde is good though!:D

GGarter
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
So glad this topic came up.
I allways mix up the phrases.
Fx, what does erythristic mean?

adamanteus
10-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Erythristic...........Mainly red or suffused with red pigment
Melanistic............Mainly black or suffused with back pigment
And so on.

zooplan
10-30-2007, 11:30 PM
all this coloration variations are possible as hypomelanistic ....
hypo... lacking some of the pigments but not all.
in present we have not all possible morphs of coloration dicovered for garters, but I think it will take only a little more time to make the number of variations as big as it is for cornsnakes right now.