PDA

View Full Version : Help

parentsof3
10-28-2007, 08:11 AM
:confused:I'm new to owning a garter snake we got him/her from a pet store that had hime/her for adoption. My problem is it wont eat we have him/her for 3 days now. Ive tried minnows that what was suggested any other ideas. Please help I want to be a good owner.

RZL36
10-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Three days isn't a very long time. Moving can be fairly stressful and they could go off feed for a bit. Could also be in shed (are its eyes cloudy?).

The best thing you can do is just give so minnows every few days.

What are the temperatures in the enclosure? You should probably read the general garter care sheet here and you will have a much better understanding of what is going on.

How big is the snake?

Someone is gonna ask for you to send pictures, so you might as well do so now.

Lulu Bennett
10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet
you may want to read through this care sheet as RZL36 said just to get the basic knowlege. As for feeding- give it about 4 days without bother just to settle in and then try feeding more often than not he should take it. also pics are expected! just so we can have a good ol' nosey at it lol and also if you take a pic of the underneath where the vent is then we might be able to tell you if you have a boy or a girl.
Good luck and dont panic!
xxx

garterchick
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
welcome to the forum, don't worry yet, garters, especially adults, can go quite a while without eating. give your new snake a few days to get used to it's new enclosure and it'll probably eat the minnows. also, you may find out from the petshop what they've been feeding it and when was the last time it ate. if it's a wild cought snake it could also be getting ready to brumate and be off feed because of that. but, most likely, given a little bit of undisturbed time, your new garter will eat just fine.

enigma200316
10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
welcome to the forum and don't worry I'm sure it will eat when its ready...
usually takes a few days, so just put it in the cage or what have you, and
wait a few days, then try the minnows again, and you can also give it a nightcrawler(worm) and try that................:)

anji1971
10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi, and welcome!! Sounds like you've already been given some good advice to start out with, and that care sheet is VERY good info!!!
Relax and enjoy your new pal, seems to me you are a caring owner who will try very hard to make sure your new snaky friend has a great home, and don't worry, they usually eat without any trouble after a few days to settle- even the wild caught ones!!:):)

adamanteus
10-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Debra, and welcome to the forum:). As the others have told you already, there's no need to be concerned if your new snake doesn't eat at first....it can take anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks for a new snake to settle down. In the meantime, read through the care sheets and threads...and enjoy the forum.:D

drache
10-29-2007, 05:41 PM
welcome to this forum Debra

Sid
10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Welcome to a great forum, Debra.:)

ssssnakeluvr
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
welcome to the forum! don't worry, it takes a week or 2 for them to acclimate to their new home. also.....we LOVE pics on here...:D

Odie
10-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Debra :)