PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain please?

Beautifylgirl
11-15-2006, 03:39 PM
I noticed a couple posts that reffered to 'phases' in reference to color in garters. Can someone elaborate? Does it mean that the actual snake changes completely in color or are they born a specific color and stay that way. I know in dogs they can be born one color and change to a similar but different color.
Here is a dog example. My Dog was born a dominant red sable ( she had more black to her hair than red) and changed to a dominant red with sable( the red became more pronounced and the black hair is only evident now on her head and tail areas).
baby photo 1 day old
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/Beautifylgirl/Dogs/x2.jpg

and most recent- 1 year old
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k269/Beautifylgirl/Dogs/pictures061.jpg

Brittany

* I do have a tendancy to give examples in dogs or cats as I understand the color and genetics in those much better than reptiles. :) that and I like to show my 'kids' off.

Cazador
11-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Phases and "morphs" are often used interchangeably. In the context that they're using it, the snake is born with a particular color or pattern and keeps that appearance throughout its lifetime. However, the colors of many snakes become brighter and more vivid as they mature.

ssssnakeluvr
11-15-2006, 06:15 PM
morphs or phases are abnormal colors of snakes...some morphs are real common tho. Eastern garters are generally green or brown with black checkering...but "flame" easterns have red coloring in varying amounts. the color can get brighter as the snake get older. There are many different morphs or phases...I have an orange colored red sided garter.

Cute dog!!!!!!

Beautifylgirl
11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
morphs or phases are abnormal colors of snakes...some morphs are real common tho. Eastern garters are generally green or brown with black checkering...but "flame" easterns have red coloring in varying amounts. the color can get brighter as the snake get older. There are many different morphs or phases...I have an orange colored red sided garter.

Cute dog!!!!!!

Thanks everyone. That really does explain it. I just wanted to make sure that snakes don't change dramatically over time.

ssssnakeluvr-- Thanks she's my work in progress. Although never good enough to win conformation shows she's a great agility start in the making.
Brittany