PDA

View Full Version : brumation, again

garterchick
10-18-2007, 03:41 PM
i know there are several threads on the topic but my question is: do i have to brumate the female and the male in order to breed them in the spring? i had originally planned to do just that, but i just bought a 19inch male red-sided from reed and, when compared to the female, it's tiny. i know the males don't get nearly as big, but i thought i could use the wintertime to allow this guy to grow some more to increase the chances of having offspring . of course, if that means that he may not breed at all then i would have shot myself in the foot by not brumating him. does anyone have a solution to my dilemma? how about a shortened brumation time, maybe just a month? would that do the trick as far as stimmulating hormone production is concerned ?

ssssnakeluvr
10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
at 19 inches he's plenty big enough to breed. just brumate him with her and you will have a better chance at babies next year!!

mikm
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey there Tina, I agree with Don. I have had males younger/smaller then that sucessfully breed. I would brumate both of them.

Best,

adamanteus
10-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I agree also. He's big enough, brumate them both.:D

garterchick
10-18-2007, 05:54 PM
cool, that answers my question, thanks ya'll

garterchick
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
another question has presented itself: when you use a fridge to brumate your snakes, do you use it "as is" or do you use a special thermostat to keep the temp. from going below 50 degrees?

EdgyExoticReptiles
10-23-2007, 11:22 AM
well the temps can go down to thes 40s

another question has presented itself: when you use a fridge to brumate your snakes, do you use it "as is" or do you use a special thermostat to keep the temp. from going below 50 degrees?

EdgyExoticReptiles
10-23-2007, 03:21 PM
and i don't think that fridges temperatures fluster that much as long as its around 40-55 f its fine and make sure to give them plenty of air