PDA

View Full Version : Holding your snake !!

bigstan03
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
How often should you handle your snake to get it use to you ?

Elliot
11-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Let it settle in first, then hold it maybe 5 minutes a day at first, then gradually increase the time you hold it.

bigstan03
11-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanx I caught a dekay snake wild a few days ago but it has been eating real well.

Cazador
11-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey Bigstan,
I agree with Elliot about holding it for short periods at first... maybe even 30 seconds the first few times. I'd suggest that you do this several times a day. This conditions the snake to being held & lets it know that it's not in danger.

If it doesn't settle down or has a problem adjusting, let us know. I've had a lot of success with "the bathtub technique." Cheers,
Rick

Stefan-A
11-14-2006, 03:40 AM
What's "the bathtub technique"?

Cazador
11-14-2006, 04:05 AM
Hey Stefan,
Whenever I've had particularly skittish snakes, I'll put them in the bathtub with about 2" (5cm) of tepid (~90F or 32C) water and let them swim around for a minute or two. Before long they start to get a little tired and swim around the edge, trying to find a way out, but they can't because it's too slippery. Then I put my hand in front of them and let them swim into it. I let them rest. Then I put them back in the water and repeat the process another time or two. If they're a bit tired afterward, I can usually hold them while they relax in my hand. This way, they can get used to my scent while they're calm and resting.

If they don't relax after this first trip to the bathtub, I put them back in their cage and repeat the process a few days later. It doesn't take long before skittish snakes settle down. Not only does it let them associate you with safety, but it cleans them at the same time. Just make sure the water in the tub isn't too warm or too cold. Warm water (>32C) is notorious for simulating them to defecate, though, so have a trash can ready in case their tail begins to curve at the vent :). It isn't a defensive reaction in this case.
Rick

Sid
11-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Hi Stan,

This works pretty well for me. I remove my snakes from their enclosure and hold then in one hand while I place their food items with the other every time I feed. One word of caution don't pick your snake up with the hand that's smelling like the food item.

Sid

bigstan03
11-14-2006, 06:30 AM
I held it last night for the first time since I put it in the tank . It took me about 2 mins. to catch it , when i finally did I think he piss'd on me .LOL Damn it stunk but I still continued to hold him for about 5mins. Is this common ?

Cazador
11-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Its frequency varies from snake to snake. It's not real uncommon, though. Once it gets used to you, it'll stop doing that. Yours sounds like a great candidate for the bathtub. Also, be sure not to pinch your snake while you're holding it. Let it slither through one hand after another until it calms down or until you're ready to return it to its cage. Good luck,
Rick

Stefan-A
11-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Great idea with the bathtub. Now all I need is... a bathtub. :D