PDA

View Full Version : Spartikus doesn't want to eat.. any help?

Spartikus
10-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Hello all .... Spartikus has started his shed. Problem is he woun't eat I have had him for about 5 days now, I have tried earth worms, guppies and goldfish he shows no interest in the least.
Does anyone have advice or tips on how I can get him to eat?
He did have a bowel movement yesterday I don't know if that means much.:(

Sid
10-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't worry at this point. It often takes two or three weeks for a snake to adjust and get started eating. I don't recommend Goldfish, they can cause problems if fed long term.

Spartikus
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
I did freeze the goldfish first, I will get him started on pinkies when hes a little bigger. I took him to show to my Dad my dad says he looks like a big worm haaa. Hes pretty small.

Lulu Bennett
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
dont use gold fish. they contain thaiman (sp?) and causes a b1 deficiency (sp?) and could kill it.

if spartikus is not eating then it will be down to the fact that he needs time to settle in and also the fact that some snakes refuse to eat when they are due/in the process of a shed. dont worry, he will eat as soon as he is ready.

Spartikus
10-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the advice Lulu :p. Other than Earthworms, slugs, and pinkies and mice (When he gets bigger lol) what else would you reccomend?

zooplan
10-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Spray some clear water to his tank and try to feed again.
Earthworms are avaliable after rain outside.
Sometimes this works.

RZL36
10-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Go with rosy red minnows for the time being (they dig the movement). You can switch it over to mice later. Most important thing is to get it to eat.

Lulu Bennett
10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
sorry but to be honest i wouldn't use slugs either just because the slime gets everywhere lol sloppy!!

enigma200316
10-10-2007, 06:56 PM
use rosy reds and the earthworms and then pinkies and once on them thats all you really need and once in awhile a sprinkle of a multi vit. on the food is ok as well................:)

KITKAT
10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Hello all .... Spartikus has started his shed. Problem is he woun't eat I have had him for about 5 days now, I have tried earth worms, guppies and goldfish he shows no interest in the least.
Does anyone have advice or tips on how I can get him to eat?
He did have a bowel movement yesterday I don't know if that means much.:(

As someone else said, five days is much too soon for him to settle down. Also, he won't eat during a shed... that is normal.

wyldkardde
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Earthworms are avaliable after rain outside.

Be extremely careful when harvesting earthworms. Better to buy them here instead of find them to aviod Red Wigglers, which can be potentially hazardous.

zooplan
10-12-2007, 09:03 AM
If you raise humidity, garters will get more aktive and search for prey because their natural prey is most aktive in high humidity.

adamanteus
10-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Is Spartikus eating yet? As previously stated, I wouldn't panic just yet. Give him time to settle in first. Good luck.

Spartikus
10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Spart still has not ate, Although he is almost finished his shed and he's becoming quite the active little thing, Almost thought he had escaped his cage when low and behold there he was wrapped around his thermometer completely hidden. I'm hoping he gets closer to indulging in some food soon.

KITKAT
10-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Spart still has not ate, Although he is almost finished his shed and he's becoming quite the active little thing, Almost thought he had escaped his cage when low and behold there he was wrapped around his thermometer completely hidden. I'm hoping he gets closer to indulging in some food soon.

It'll take a few more days after the shed sometimes.

What foods have you tried at this point?

Spartikus
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Earthworms, Rosy reds, goldfish (In the beggining) and Guppies. I'm pretty sure after I had posted he ate about half a worm. But I am pretty sure that is not near enough food for the little guy.