PDA

View Full Version : HELP: rescued snake w/object stuck in vent- what to do?

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi people - sorry for the odd title.

Found a lovely female garter outside just now, 1.5 feet long, looks like she cannot poop out whatever it is she ate. I can't tell what it was, but it is quite stuck on the way out and quite uncomfortable looking.
She seems hhealthy, docile and otherwise unharmed. She doesn't seem to be in pain.

Currently I have her in the bathtub with a half-inch or so of warm water, and she's swimming around happily. I'd like this to soften whatever this is. She can rest, yes, she won't drown, not enuf water..

Is this right: do I try to remove this object? I dunno what it is (organic/animal or what) but do I just soak her and gently try to remove it? Looks like if it stays, shell eventually die from it, and it is stretching the vent trying to come out.

HELP appreciated

-Sasha

drache
10-06-2007, 08:35 AM
hi
yeah
softening it up is great idea
you can also add some aloe to her bath
it functions as a mild laxative in addition to being soothing in case there's abrasion, and a bit slippery too
don't use cosmetic products though - either fresh aloe or something like stress coat for fish, which has a bunch of aloe in it
if she's not stressed and you can get her to take worms - they're a bit laxative as well
if it doesn't come out without injury, she may require stitches
do you have a vet that will do that?

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 08:40 AM
No, I don't have a vet that I know of, not out here where I live especially, nor do I believe there's any aloe around here that isn't a cosmetic or lotion, like skin creams etc..
What I DO have is betadine, incase there is minor injory, and also mineral oil, though at the moment she doesn't need betadine as there doesn't appear to be injury--YET,and I don't know if mineral oil would be the best idea, though I have used it in the past as per advice elsewhere, as a skin treatment after bathing them, to keep their skin soft & protected from dryness after bathing.

I'll keep her in the tub for now and see how this goes. W/any luck she might be able to get it out herself if it softens sufficuiently,.. FIngers crossed.

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Also, I have cod liver oil :p think that may be helpful in the bath? Certainly it's GOOD for us :D but might it be useful in this case?

drache
10-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I haven't a clue
can't imagine that it'll be bad for her

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 08:53 AM
On close examination, the item appears to be an undigested food item. It's definitely 'animal parts' and is undigested. I am fairly certain it isn't actually a prolapse of some sort, otherwise I would think that my messing with it would be causing her significant discomfort, which it isn't from what I can tell.
This girl is very docile, but doesn't seem lethargic. She didn't even strike at me when I chased her down outside.

OK, well going to add some codliver oil to the bath :P

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Further research points towards a cloacal or rectal prolapse :(

Without a vet at my disposal, I will not be sure.
What to do.... Release her to fend for herself, or put her out of her misery?
Which is the lesser of the two evils? Advice? :(

Stefan-A
10-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I've read about a few "home remedies", but I don't dare repeat them. :( Looking for links now..

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes, I've read of them too.. I am not going to try reinserting her innards, especially if they aren't infact her innards.

I wonder too if I mistake her docility for near-death lethargy. She's not like EVERY other snake I haev ever caught; she's too calm..
I am leaning toward what I think is the obvious :( :(

Stefan-A
10-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Wrong species, but this has been quoted on another herp forum:

GTP Care (http://www.finegtps.com/Care_sheets.html)

The first order of business is to keep the swollen tissues from drying out. Place the snake in an appropriate size container (such as a deli cup for babies) with a small amount of warm water in it. Be sure that the water isn't deep enough to drown the chondro - use just enough to keep the swollen tissue moist. Make a thick sugar and water paste and apply some to the tissues. Often this will cause the prolapse to retract within a few hours, or overnight. An eye dropper can be useful in applying the sugar paste. Sometimes the tissue will go down in size but not fully retract. Use a clean blunt tool such as an appropriate size sexing probe, and gently push the tissue back into the body cavity. Push the tissue completely into the body, but not farther than is needed to get it all reinserted. If you aren't comfortable with doing this, or if no improvement has been observed within 24 hours, see let a qualified veterinarian. In really bad cases, mild anesthesia will be needed to relax the muscles enough for reinsertion. Sometimes a purse-string suture is needed to retain the prolapse while things heal.

Withhold food from the recovering animal for at least a couple of weeks and then start with very small food items. Watch for a normal defecation, and then slowly work back up to normal meal size and feeding frequency. Most cases of prolapse look much worse than they really are, and usually the condition is very treatable if caught early. Adult females can make a full recovery and go on to lay eggs without complications, as long as sufficient time is allowed for complete healing.

GrapefruiTgirl
10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Thank you for that information Stefan. I wonder though, as there is definitely an object trapped there, likely the thing which caused the prolapse to begin with (maybe an impaction?) what will become of the situation if the prolapse is treated as per these instructions, yet the underlying cause, ie the object, is still there? Seems that unless the object itself comes out, which isn't looking like it will, then the prolapse will just turn septic and/or continue to exist as an impaction, prolonging the inevitable.
I will consider this and see how she seems for the next little while, but...

adamanteus
10-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi Sasha. It sounds as though you're already doing all the right things. If there is definitely some food or other object lodged in there, as you say obviously it has to come out. Maybe continued soaking and gentle manipulation of the blockage (you might be able to alter it's shape and make it easier to pass) will do the trick. If you're considering euthanasia anyway, it must be worth trying more drastic measures to remove that blockage first....you might just save a life. Good luck, keep us updated. Could you post a close up photo?

Frankie_Garter
10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Although I am a bit new to Garters, I actually second that-- if you maybe sent a picture, someone who knows a ton about them would see it and maybe get a better picture... you know, of the situation you've got here... I hope you can get that untamable poop out of her system before you have to put her down.... :'( I don't like it when an animal has to die... like one time in a wonderful and yet now closed pet shop there was a fenced in area with a dog on the floor that wasn't breathing, and I thought it was asleep until I saw the sign on the gate: Warning: Always wash hands after dog is put down. --- so sad for me, I was only 7! :(

GrapefruiTgirl
10-07-2007, 09:11 AM
As much as it pains me to say so, I have assisted the beautiful snakie in getting to where snakies go when their earthly time has ended. She had started bleeding and was becoming increasingly lacadaisical as the day progressed.
I hadn't a camera here, as my roomie took the digital away with her on an overseas trip.
It was very quick and painless for her, yet still brought me to tears (as I am again now as I type this) :( and she is now buried in the yard, near where she lived.
I hope I did the best thing, under the circumstances. If I were to believe reincarnation to be possible, I would hope she will return again next summer as one of the many dozens of lovely snakies who inhabit my property here.

-S

Stefan-A
10-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry about your loss. :( I'm sure you did the right thing, especially under those circumstances.

Lulu Bennett
10-07-2007, 09:37 AM
i am truley sorry for your loss hun but it sounded as if you did all you could. you tried your best and thats all anyone can ask of you.

enigma200316
10-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Chin-up, it is better to have done then to let her suffer..........sorry for the lose........:(

drache
10-07-2007, 10:02 AM
that's hard
glad you ended her troubles
outside she'd probably just gotten eaten

anji1971
10-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Oh Sasha, I'm SO sorry, I was praying you would be able to help her. I can't even imagine having to do what you did- i don't know if I could handle that. And who knows,maybe there is some kind of snakie reincarnation, at least a little snake heaven somewhere for them. I find it hard to believe that all us who want to help take care of the little critters would have no comfort for it!

ScimitarX
10-07-2007, 12:09 PM
So sorry for your loss, but under the circumstances i believe you did the right thing.

adamanteus
10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Sorry to hear that, Sasha. I guess it was for the best though.

Lori P
10-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Bummer, Sasha. But at least she didn't lie out there and die slowly. You did the best thing for her.

GrapefruiTgirl
10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much everyone. I hope it was the best to do, as I would rather have known she wasn't out there at risk of being preyed upon for her weakened state, and so did put an end to her suffereing. I feel bad, but sometimes, the right thing to do is the hardest thing to do too..
Sorry I have been away lately, but I have finally (for the first time in 3 years) gotten a full-time job :) and its schedule is revolving shift-work, so I have been predisposed, either working or sleeping, or something related to either ;)
Well, my own snakie is doing fantastic, I can tell she is getting bigger, she is heavier and stronger than she was when I first got her, and she seems happy indoors, even though outside it is very near hibernation time. :)
She has begun acting a bit skittish, but from experience, she may be thinking about getting ready for another shed. Hafta wait and see, but otherwise, she is doing very well.
I still have not got a digital cam here as it is away with my roomie, but when she gets back I will post a new pic or two of snakie :).

anji1971
10-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Looking forward to seeing the new pics, Sasha. I have to borrow a digital camera whenever I want to take some so I know how that can be, but they're always worth the wait. Congrats on the new job!!:)