PDA

View Full Version : To help prevent substrate ingestion

RZL36
09-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I have been taking everything out of the cage and lining it with paper towels. Throw some thawed rodents on the paper towel and it works out well.

A lot of folks probably know this, but it is really useful if you are worried about substrate ingestion. Never once did they try to hide under it while eating (defeating the whole purpose).

enigma200316
09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
I have been taking everything out of the cage and lining it with paper towels. Throw some thawed rodents on the paper towel and it works out well.

A lot of folks probably know this, but it is really useful if you are worried about substrate ingestion. Never once did they try to hide under it while eating (defeating the whole purpose).

that would work best I think if you had a smaller cage that needed cleaning more often.....but for me it would be a waste because my viv.
is equal to 55 gallon aquarium, and dosen't need to be cleaned, but maybe one to two times a month, so I think it would be easier just to put into a
diff. tank like that for feeding......just my opinion though......:)

RZL36
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I would agree. If your viv is over twenty gallons forget about it.

This was only for those that keep one in a 10 gallon tank or something like that and did not have a separate place to feed.

Pairs should be fed separate anyway. The garters usually eat alone in a rubbermaid sweater box. My kings and pine are very good about eating on the paper towel and not dragging their meal across what little substrate is left exposed.

enigma200316
09-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I liked your idea, just wouldn't work for me, but what I do is I feed them on a lid thats probably 10 inches long and 8 inches wide, and again that works for me because of the size of my viv..............:)