PDA

View Full Version : Thamnophis sauritus sackenii X Thamnophis proximus proximus

rwgsnakes
09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
As some of you may know my ribbon snakes have mated recently and i was just curious if anybody has any idea if there is a name for the hybrid from a peninsula ribbon and western ribbon.

Thanks,
Justin

rwgsnakes
09-25-2007, 04:52 AM
anyone? i would really like to know what kinda ribbon they would be called

Snaky
09-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Most hybrids don't have a name I think. If you sell them, please inform the people buying that they are hybrids...

rwgsnakes
09-25-2007, 11:21 AM
a lot of hybrids have names, most subspieces are popular hybrids

yeah, i plan on informing the people who buy them,

Thanks,
Justin

Snaky
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
A subspecies is not the same as a hybrid.

You have for example
species: th. sirtalis
subscpecies:
-th. sirtalis sitalis
-th. sirtalis concinnus
-th. sirtalis infernalis

If you breed under the subspecies ( fe. th sirtalis sirtalis x th. sirtalis sirtalis ), you still have a pure subspecies. They are all named with scientific names.

If you breed different subspecies ( fe. th sirtalis sirtalis x th. sirtalis concinnus ), you'd have intergrades. These are not pure subspecies anymore and most of the time (I think) they resemble 1 of the subspecies. In the long run you'll never get a pure subspecies again from it, but in nature this sometimes occurs ( fe cyrtopsis ).

You get a hybrid by breeding 2 different species, like your example. Sometimes there can be a popular name, for example jungle corns ( used in Belgium, don't know if it's used anywhere else ). But most of the time I don't think there's a lot of names.

enigma200316
09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Define "cool". Cross breeds generally look like what they are...a poor quality, watered down version of two originals. You'll never produce an amazing looking snake through cross breeding, they always look like a drab, non-descript, generally sh*tty snake. Also you can never sell them on to serious collectors because you can't assign them to a species.

Sorry James figured I'd use your post to get the piont a cross, as you have so simply put it............:) (so in other words you shouldn't do it)

enigma200316
09-25-2007, 01:42 PM
oh, and I do believe you are pretty much correct there Snaky on everything.............;)

rwgsnakes
09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Cross breeds generally look like what they are...a poor quality, watered down version of two originals. You'll never produce an amazing looking snake through cross breeding, they always look like a drab, non-descript, generally sh*tty snake. Also you can never sell them on to serious collectors because you can't assign them to a species.

That is very untrue, have you ever heard of a gabino? gabbon viper X rhino viper... very amazing looking snake, and are highly popular to "serious" collectors.

Define "cool"

what are you talking about?

Snaky-
I appologize, i have always thought subspieces were combinations of the original, thanks for letting me know i am wrong :D

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
That is very untrue, have you ever heard of a gabino? gabbon viper X rhino viper... very amazing looking snake, and are highly popular to "serious" collectors.

what are you talking about?

Snaky-
I appologize, i have always thought subspieces were combinations of the original, thanks for letting me know i am wrong :D
hes talking about what james said in a thread of mine when i asked if hybrid snakes looked cool

adamanteus
09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
No, I never heard of a Gabino...and I don't want one.

rwgsnakes
09-25-2007, 04:29 PM
haha, man they are awesome

East African Gaboon X Rhinoceros Viper "Gabino" - www.ReptileForums.com (http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35350)

adamanteus
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, they're different, and that certainly catches your attention, but personally I think the Rhinocerous Viper is way more attractive than this.

I have kept both Gaboon Vipers and Rhino Vipers (also other Bitis species) and I don't think they need improvement.

A word on 'serious' collectors....... In most of the world a licence is required for the legal keeping of venomous snakes. This licence would be specific to a particular snake... defined by the scientific name. This 'Gabino' would have no specific name, certainly in the UK it would be very difficult to acquire a licence for a snake that wasn't described by a scientific name.

enigma200316
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I'd have to agree with ya there James, and I would think its the same here, and if not its gotta change....................

Thamnophis
09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
It is kind of "funny" that the animals you bred are hybrids now.
In the eighties or so proximus and sauritus were two subspecies from the same species.
In those days they were integrades.

A nice popular name for them could be:EastWest Ribbon Snake or WestEast Ribbon Snake

rwgsnakes
09-26-2007, 06:48 AM
i think some of you are taking what i said differently from how i ment to say it, thanks for the replies i have gotten, i am just going to leave it with their sci names, because i can not find a common name anywhere

thanks again

Snaky
09-26-2007, 06:59 AM
I think it's about the number 1 topic for (sometimes heated) discussions in our hobby... you can always practically expect it when you ask something about hybrids :)