PDA

View Full Version : last garter found?!

ytee29
11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
hello new to this site found a small garter while raking my yard today nov. 5,06. I'm on long island in ny, anyway any suggestions on what to feed it? its pretty small

abcat1993
11-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Hello welcome

jasuncle1972
11-06-2006, 10:48 AM
helloytee29, I'm new here also. I found my e. garter snkae back in may'06,she'll eat feeder gold fish, at least mine does.after yours starts eating try slipping in a pinky mouse,I tried this,this pastweek end and she ate it.Mine has had a clutch of babies 14 only one lived and it got loose.maybe she'll have more in '07

abcat1993
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I found my e. garter snkae back in may'06

hello new to this site found a small garter while raking my yard today nov. 5,06.
How many people had a wild caught garter for their first garter? Not saying this is bad (I have a wc), just wondering.

NexXx
11-08-2006, 10:54 PM
My First Garter Snake (which i'm holding right now) is a wild one.

Got it like 2 months ago, she just runned across me.

ssssnakeluvr
11-09-2006, 08:48 AM
My first snake was a wild caught garter.....I have had many wild caught garters over the years. Wild caught garters do real well in general, tho you will have a problem feeder here and there.

Cazador
11-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Yep. About my first 100 snakes (including garters) were wild-caught. My Mom wouldn't let me bring them in the house, so I'd carry them around in a bucket before releasing them back on our property in Missouri (where I grew up). I guess I was practicing "catch and release" before it had a name :).

abcat1993
11-09-2006, 06:50 PM
My first pet was a wild caught anole (or 4-6 of them; I was around 5 and they all died when my father entrusted me with their care). Then I got more anoles last spring, one was an injured baby which eventually died of starvation after a few months, one was a very nervous girl who I think my cleaning lady accidentally let go (removed the water bottle holding the homemade top down), and then there is the anole which I still have today which recently got scared of me but is doing fine.
I just thought I would tell you all that.

Stefan-A
11-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Newts, frogs, toads, viviparous lizards.. but no WC snakes in my past, unless you count the hundred or so that I have relocated. Of course all (minus one) Finnish reptiles and amphibians were protected species, but who's going to tell a kid that. Didn't keep them long enough to kill them and I managed to raise and release over 400 common frogs over a 4-year period, so that should sort of balance it out. ;)

abcat1993
11-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Of course all (minus one) Finnish reptiles and amphibians were protected species,
What is that one that isn't protected?

Stefan-A
11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
What is that one that isn't protected?
The common European adder (Vipera berus). Or European viper, as it's also called.

Thamnophis
11-11-2006, 12:52 AM
I am surprised that Vipera berus is not protected in Finland and all other reptiles and amphibians are protected.
What is the reason why that species is not protected?
In the Netherlands all species are protected.

Stefan-A
11-11-2006, 01:11 AM
So am I. Well not really. I think it's one of these cases where the politicians are afraid that they might upset the public. Herpetologists all seem to agree that it should be protected, but the average joe still thinks that he needs to kill every snake (or snake-like lizard) that he comes across, just in case it might be the venomous Vipera berus. Finns rarely overreact, but when it comes to snakes, suddenly everything is about "protecting your family". You wouldn't believe the excuses they give for deliberately killing grass snakes, which, after all, is a protected species.

A part of the problem certainly is that most Finns actually come in contact with snakes as most families have a summer cottage somewhere in the countryside. But they never really get used to having snakes around.

So that's why I find it necessary to relocate wild snakes. If I don't, some dork will try to kill them with a shovel.

Thamnophis
11-11-2006, 06:23 AM
You perform a good job, relocating the snakes before they get killed.

Now I understand why Vipera berus is not protected.

Strange... in the Netherlands people are also not used to snakes (we don't have that many), but eventhough most people think their protection is a good thing.

Thanks for explaining it.

abcat1993
11-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I hate it when people try killing anything they see. I mean, killing off an infestation in your house is one thing, but killing wild animals is another

Stefan-A
11-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't quite put it that way, but exterminating animals just because you have a phobia, is something I find unacceptable.

Sid
11-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I totaly agree with the sinceless killing. Just found a butiful Mole Kingsnake a few minutes ago comming onto the road and stopped to move it. Before I could the next car purposly ran over it.

Sid

Thamnophis
11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Fear makes people do strange things before they think it over.

ytee29
11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
hi this is my first garter snake since i was young, went and bought a little set up she seems quite curious and very active i take this for a good sign except that she wont eat ive tried worms, pinheads a moth anything to get her attention its been a week any suggestions (not up to pinkies) thanks for your suggestions ytee29

Cazador
11-11-2006, 08:36 PM
This is about the right time for your snake to start showing interest in food, assuming that you've been gradually warming it up since you found it on 5 Nov. If it started flicking its tongue more frequently when you introduced the worm, it's a good sign, and she'll probably eat the worm if you leave it in your snake's pen overnight.

In my experience, the two easiest foods to get a garter started eating are worms and fish. If you have a shallow, white bowl (or jar lid) and can only add enough water to cover most of the fish, they will be highly visible and will splash around a lot. You should introduce the food when your snake is actively prowling around her enclosure. It's looking for food and the motion from the fish or worm should excite the snake and put it in predator mode. Guppies and rosie reds (AKA flathead minnows / Pimephales promelas) are good starter fish.

By making sure the temperature is right in its basking spot (~85-88 degrees) and providing plenty of hiding spots, she'll eventually eat. She was just preparing for brumation and needs a while to reacclimate to an active lifestyle. She had already undergone physiological changes for brumation and normally wouldn't have eaten for the next few months. If she goes over two - three weeks at higher temperatures without eating, you'll definitely want to revisit this issue.

As a bit of reassurance, look at my post from 5 November (http://www.thamnophis.com/site-news/149-last-wild-garter-year-contest-2.html). I mentioned that it probably wouldn't eat for a week or so because it had already prepared for brumation. I know it's disconcerting, but try not to worry too much for a while longer :). Thanks for keeping us posted on its progress, though. Kind regards,
Rick

abcat1993
11-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't quite put it that way, but exterminating animals just because you have a phobia, is something I find unacceptable.
I just deleted my entire message:mad: . Oh well. That's what I was trying to say, I just left out the phobia part in:

but killing wild animals is another
and this part:

I hate it when people try killing anything they see.
refers to the girls and some boys in my family, and the people you were talking about in your message

bigstan03
11-12-2006, 11:24 AM
How many people had a wild caught garter for their first garter? Not saying this is bad (I have a wc), just wondering.

I just caught mine a couple of days ago and I am trying to get caring info on it I thought they would eat crickets but that did not work .

abcat1993
11-12-2006, 11:42 AM
don't feed crickets to your garter, I don't think you are supposed to feed anything with an exoskeleton, but I could be wrong

bigstan03
11-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanx a board member just told me about night crawlers now I got to figure out how to get the crickets out the cage . They are real small.

Sid
11-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I feed mine worm, Rosie minnows, and pinkey parts and all are growing like crazy.:)

Sid

KITKAT
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Sid...

If you look at Bigstan's snake, you'll probably agree with me that it is not a garter... ;)

It's a Dekay's... which is why I told him to feed nightcrawlers, not fish.