PDA

View Full Version : Shedding question

Lori P
09-15-2007, 07:48 PM
This is a ball python question-- hope that's ok!! My baby, who is almost 10 weeks old, has not shed the skin over her head or eyes yet; she has the dried skin still stuck to her. Should I try to help her get it off, or will she eventually get it off?? This was her first shed with me, so not sure how she did in the past.

THANKS for any advice!!!!

KITKAT
09-15-2007, 08:36 PM
This is a ball python question-- hope that's ok!! My baby, who is almost 10 weeks old, has not shed the skin over her head or eyes yet; she has the dried skin still stuck to her. Should I try to help her get it off, or will she eventually get it off?? This was her first shed with me, so not sure how she did in the past.

THANKS for any advice!!!!

Bag her in a slightly damp pillowcase overnight. If it still does not come off by tomorrow, then message us back.:rolleyes:

ssssnakeluvr
09-15-2007, 09:11 PM
definitely do the bag first....if the lens caps don't come off, future ones won't either and this could lead to eye problems up to losing and eye and blindness.

zooplan
09-16-2007, 02:51 AM
I would put it to a lukewarm bath for half an hour as I do if one of my garters has a problem with shedding.

drache
09-16-2007, 03:11 AM
both is a good idea
the warm bath and the then the bag
except that when I use the bag, it always dries out, so I make it not just damp, but really wet

zooplan
09-16-2007, 03:20 AM
I donīt like the wet bag because of the reduced air flow for the snake within but even desert snakes can swim.:D

Lori P
09-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys. I just got this this morning, so what I did was (since she ate last night and I don't want to handle her today) is I put warm, dampened moss in her little plastic cave that she's curled up in and covered the opening with a damp washcloth. She can move it if she wants to come out, but it made a warm, damp little cave for her.

Will let you know later if it helps. THANK YOU!!!!

Lulu Bennett
09-16-2007, 11:20 AM
i remember doing that just before i discovered sissle had scale rot and i have only just linked the two together.
i dont know what anyone else thinks to this but just becareful and keep an eye on him
xxx

adamanteus
09-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Keeping the snakes damp overnight to help loosen the unsloughed skin won't cause a scale-rot problem. It is consistent, long-term high humidity that can help to cause this problem. The damp cave idea sounds good, should work a treat.

Lulu Bennett
09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
lol ok then now i am confuzzled again of how sissle got it lol