PDA

View Full Version : Fire bellied toad question??

Lori P
09-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey guys, anyone on here have fire bellied toads?? I have one I got from the same little urchin that I got the skink from. (Got them about 6 or 8 months ago) The toad has always had a huge appetite, but he stopped eating all together about 2 weeks ago and I can't tempt him with anything. He is still active, but won't eat a thing. I can't find any info on the internet about what could be going on. Ideas???
THANKS!!!!!

zooplan
09-16-2007, 03:28 AM
You got it in spring, so maybe itīs preparing for hibernation now.
Theres a kind of those toads in Europe too, they need hibernation to survive the winter.

Stefan-A
09-16-2007, 03:34 AM
You got it in spring, so maybe itīs preparing for hibernation now.
Theres a kind of those toads in Europe too, they need hibernation to survive the winter.
There's two of them. Bombina bombina and Bombina variegata.

zooplan
09-16-2007, 03:41 AM
.... and both start to hebernate now:D

Stefan-A
09-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Unfortunately I don't know if Bombina orientalis needs to do it. :D

zooplan
09-16-2007, 03:48 AM
It is needed for breeding like for Thamnophis I think.
Some of my garters had stop feeding as well, itīs quiet normal for autumn to me.

Lori P
09-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Ok. Thanks. But he's getting all skinny. :-( I guess we'll see how it goes!! Thank you!!

Thamnophis
09-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Our Bombina orientalis (we have about 20 in the zoo) never get a winterrest. Only an hour less light in the wintermonths. They breed every year.

p.s. There are eight species of Bombina:

Bombina bombina
Bombina fortinuptialis
Bombina lichuanesis
Bombina maxima
Bombina microdeladigitora
Bombina orientalis
Bombina pachypus
Bombina variegata

adamanteus
09-16-2007, 01:12 PM
I have kept Bombina orientalis, I never hibernated them and they bred regularly.

Stefan-A
09-18-2007, 03:39 AM
I have kept Bombina orientalis, I never hibernated them and they bred regularly.
I've kept them too, but I never hibernated them.

Lori P
12-09-2007, 04:20 PM
LOL... I went looking for this thread because I wanted to tell you guys what I ended up doing with my toad. He never did start eating, so at the beginning of Nov. I decided to brumate him... he was just getting skinnier and skinnier and I figured he was on his way out one way or the other. I put him in a little container with a fake plant, some rocks, water, and put him in the fridge. Well, I kept checking on him, and every time I peeked he was just floating in the water... sometimes he would climb the plant, but mostly he floated the month of November away in the dark fridge.

So I pulled him out this week and let him warm up slowly... eventually put him back in his tank... and he is doing GREAT! He's been eating like his old self and is VERY active. Go figure! He's already gaining weight!!

So next year, if he goes off feed this time of year, I'll know what to do, thanks to you all and all the info on brumating snakes!! :-)

tikichick
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM
That's great!

Stefan-A
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Good to hear, Lori. :)

drache
12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
very cool
another success story
I love those

anji1971
12-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Great news, Lori!! Sometimes when there's nothing to lose, you get the best outcome!:)

Sid
12-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Congratulations, lori. Glad it turned out well.