PDA

View Full Version : New to the snake world...

MominPA
09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Hello all! I am new to the forum and the snake world. My husband and son adopted two garters that they found under our wheelbarrow while doing yard work. Both snakes are about 12-14 inches long and one has a larger head and body than the other. They found them last Sunday, 8/13.

So far, no interest in pinkies (can get newborn pinkies and freeze them most any time I want) but they may have eaten some grubs. I am going out today to get some guppies and rosie reds. The snakes seem very happy in their new environment, stretching out on the logs, one has already shed, and when I turn their light on, they always come out of their hidding place and see what is going on. I hope I can keep them happy. I will feel much better once I know they are eating.

Here is a dumb question...how warm does the thawed pinky need to be:confused:? I have just been taking them out of the freezer and thawing them on the counter (in a cup) and them trying them. Do I need to be "moving" them for the snakes to eat? Should I cut them up?

Thanks in advance for all the advice. I think I am more excited about the snakes than my kid!

By the way, their names are Lanky and Nick. I will upload some pictures later this weekend:D.

Thanks,

MominPA

Stefan-A
09-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

The pinky doesn't necessarily need to be warm, garters don't have the same ability to detect heat sources as certain members of Boidae/Pythonidae and the pit vipers, but I believe it helps if its temperature is as close as possible to a live one's. Probably smell more when they're warmer. In my limited experience, moving them around is only a way to get the snake's attention, it won't necessarily get them to strike. They're more into grabbing their prey, than striking. Cutting them up is usually recommended when you need to get reluctant feeders to eat.

Lots of editing.. :D

adamanteus
09-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Maria, and welcome to the forum.:) I'm looking forward to seeing those pictures. It's not important for the thawed pinky to be warm, as long as it is thoroughly thawed.

KITKAT
09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
So far, no interest in pinkies (can get newborn pinkies and freeze them most any time I want) but they may have eaten some grubs. I am going out today to get some guppies and rosie reds. The snakes seem very happy in their new environment, stretching out on the logs, one has already shed, and when I turn their light on, they always come out of their hidding place and see what is going on. I hope I can keep them happy. I will feel much better once I know they are eating.

Here is a dumb question...how warm does the thawed pinky need to be? I have just been taking them out of the freezer and thawing them on the counter (in a cup) and them trying them. Do I need to be "moving" them for the snakes to eat? Should I cut them up?

Hi from KITKAT in OHIO!

Wild caught garters usually take awhile before they eat their first meal in captivity, and the grub is not a usual garter food as far as I am aware... but if you can confirm for sure at some point that they actually ate the grubs, it would be very interesting to hear this news, as we are always learning about our garters.

Pinkies can be fed at room temperature or slightly warm (like tepid water). They will readily take rosey reds and guppies, however at 12 - 15 inches, guppies may be too small to be of interest, so your plan to try both is a good idea. Try to get the smaller roseys out of the tank if you can.

Pinkies do not need to "move" to be accepted, but they do need to be "scented". You can do this by buying some fish... the more oily and stinky species of fish are best for this... such as salmon or trout, or killed bait store minnows. Put the fish in a dixie cup and use a pair of scissors to mince the fish until it becomes "liquid". Drop a thawed pinkie into the fish mash, and roll it around with the closed scissors until it is coated with fish "juice". Then offer it to your garters.

Garters that are 12 - 15 inches long will usually be unable to take a whole pinky, so you may have to feed pieces that you cut off into smaller bites. If you do that, a recent experience I had would indicate that you should remove the hind feet before feeding to your garters - I had a garter that impacted because it could not pass an undigested pinkie foot.

Good luck with your new pets... and read as many of the old threads of our forum as you can... we discuss all kinds of things regarding garter care and there are lots of knowlegable and friendly people here!:D

enigma200316
09-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the forum...and I also can't wait for the pics.......:)

drache
09-15-2007, 03:50 PM
welcome to this forum
I'm looking forward to seeing Lanky and Nick as well

ScimitarX
09-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Welcome to this forum:)

Sid
09-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. The best luck I've had switching my Garters to Pinkies is to put one or two small fish in their water bowl with a pinkie. They will end up gettint the pinkie and soon perfer them.

ssssnakeluvr
09-15-2007, 09:17 PM
new snakes need a week or 2 to get used to captivity. they will be big enough to eat pinkie mice, but generally have to be scented. looking forward to pics!!! also to see what king of garters you have! :D

Snaky
09-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forum, enjoy it here and ask away if you have any more questions :)

Odie
09-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Maria :)

Lulu Bennett
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
hi and welcome to the forum maria xxx