PDA

View Full Version : Ameron in Portland, OR

Ameron
09-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Kingnake owner for years, have always disregarded Garters - until yesterday. Caught an Oregon Red-spotted, had it in my vivarium awhile before I FOOLISHLY let it go! Had seen two playing yesterday when I caught one in bushes near the shore of the Columbia River.

Went back to that island today, saw one other snake, but it was too deep in Horsetails to catch.

Also plenty of Northwestern Garters in this area, but on that island the Red-spotteds seem to be most common. They hunted with their heads raised up - like Racers. One smaller one (male?) was chasing a larger one (female?), who eventually got tired of the scene and left quickly.

I'm intrigued that they are more active hunters, hunting by sight, than the Kingsnakes, who are mostly ambush hunters.

What behavioral differences can I most expect? Why should I love Garters more than Kingsnakes??

ScimitarX
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi,Ameron and welcome. Red-spots are pretty arent they.

We keep several species of garters and kings. If you want a snake that is very active and curious, you'll love the garters. I also think that garters have a lot more personality than kings.

adamanteus
09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Don, and welcome to the forum.:)

enigma200316
09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
welcome and I don't think anyone would tell ya that you have to love them, but however I and everyone else here would tell you that they are
an awsome species and that you'll find them interresting and they would be a great add to your collection.............:D

GarterGuy
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi Don and welcome to the forum. Honestly I've kept kingsnakes for years and now breed Thayeri's. I was going to start a large collection of Lampropeltis, but was honestly completely entrigued with the garters. I now only have the one pair of thayeri ( I still love them ) along with an old girl PI King and am working on my 4th pair of garters. With their higher activity and they fact they're day active I love to just sit and watch them. It's all a matter of personal choice though.....but I think you'll find a bit of a bias here...LOL. If you prefer a snake the is very visable and interactive, I'd give garters at least a try. But just to warm you, it's very easy to get hooked.:cool:

Roy

adamanteus
09-12-2007, 12:51 PM
But just to warm you, it's very easy to get hooked.:cool:
Roy

Roy's right......
After keeping reptiles for about a million years I decided (for various reasons) to have a couple of years off, but I missed having them around. So this February I thought I'd get a couple of Garters, just to 'keep my hand in'....I now have 22!:rolleyes:

Sid
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
HI Don, and welcome to the forum. I've kept some Kinks in the past myself, but find the Garters far more interesting. Just my feelings.

Josh
09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
garters are always active!!!!
most good feeders!!!!!
beatiful!!!!!
i can go on and on!!!

Snaky
09-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Here's another garter/kingsnake keeper. I can say that I agree with Roy. He says it well, so no need to repeat it. Although in the future I'll probably have some other kingsnake's as well. But now I'm much more intrigued by the garters and their 'personality'.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it here:)

drache
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
yes - definitely addictive
I like my other snakes too
but the garters are somehow more awake in their enclosure - checking out what we're up to

Stefan-A
09-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Don. :)

Elliot
09-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Welcome aboard. I've never kept kings, so I can't really give you an unbiased opinion, but I'm sure the others have made good points. :)

mikm
09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Hello ... It's been my experience that when you see a smaller garter chasing after a larger one as you described it's mating behavior or at least his attempt to, lol. You stumbled upon an interesting sub-species of the garter persuasion there. I find the O_Reds to be particularly feisty. They are very alert, aggressive feeders. I had a WC once that would spin himself into a tight knit spiral immediately upon grasping his prey. Fun to watch :)

Best of Luck,

Odie
09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi, from SW Hillsboro, Don :)

salzar
09-13-2007, 08:14 PM
welcome to the forum, even though I do not have a garter,but a WC daikeys.
the feeling is the same. snakes are fun to keep and watch . can spend a lot of time just holding them and admiering them, too cool.
welcome abord
michelle