PDA

View Full Version : Other pets (pics and discussions)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Stefan-A
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
You're right! But they do have follow the breed "standard"!
I want the specs of that standard.

Something like this for the breed:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/garbage/screw-cip.jpg

ConcinusMan
01-05-2012, 06:39 PM
And if you still don't get the point, then there's no hope for you.:cool:

OK, maybe try this... describe the "standard" for Homo sapien, as if it were a dog breed.:cool:

Hey, wait a minute. Saving those plans Stefan posted. Interesting. I'll get to work right away. Got a couple of pesky critters around here (coyotes) that have so far evaded all other efforts to capture/kill. They must already have those plans. So far, they've been able to evade the bullet and laugh about it. They're smarter than they look. I guess that's why they call them "Wiley". :p

I want the specs of that standard.

The specs aren't described in great detail. You'll only know the specs after the fact, by which dogs win in the shows over time. Funny how the standard, and winners change with the judges and time/generations. Like I said, highly subjective if not blatantly rigged. So here's your blueprint:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AHWlW5fWWTs/TnDc87flaBI/AAAAAAAAB44/OQfso0Km7VU/s1600/Animal+Blueprint+Co+Mutt.jpg

Stefan-A
01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
OK, maybe try this... describe the "standard" for Homo sapien, as if it were a dog breed.:cool:
With the exception of a couple of very misguided eugenicists, nobody's pretending there is such a thing as an ideal Homo sapiens. That's the point. But when it comes to dog breeds, that's exactly what's going on.

mikem
01-08-2012, 11:40 AM
i have 2 dogs, a mini dacshund and a shih tzu, 4 cats, 2 blood pythons, 2 amazon tree boas, 8 western hognose, 2 nelson milks, and a green anaconda. oh, and five leopard geckos, 5 tarantulas and a ton of feeder roaches! also considering to get some ball python morphs.

EasternGirl
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Wow! You might like ssnakess....do you know about the other forum? sSnakeSs Community

(http://www.ssnakess.com/)

EasternGirl
01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
You have an anaconda? How big is it? I'm pretty fascinated by anacondas...

Light of Dae
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Got a couple of pesky critters around here (coyotes) that have so far evaded all other efforts to capture/kill. They must already have those plans. So far, they've been able to evade the bullet and laugh about it. They're smarter than they look. I guess that's why they call them "Wiley". :p

Coyotes are easy :D use bait! It's like shooting fish in a barrel but funner! Go to your local butcher shop n ask them to save you the throw aways like a pig head heart lungs skin, etc. Then go out find a good spot that you can see but maybe beside something the coyotes would feel 'secure' by a tree line or something of the sort. Set the bait. Go back to your cozy spot n wait. Won't be long that they will come to the delicious smell of raw meat. Works awesome, did that with a buddy of mine with bow n arrows, lol we had three outa five shot before the others clued in that their buddies where dead. :D We where up in the trees n shot the last two as they started to run away. Was a good day. We had suspected that they were the coyotes that had raided a neighbors yearling pig pen. So didn't feel bad about killing them at all.

Light of Dae
01-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Here is Yin, She has grown a lot n her color keeps changing. I'm hard pressed to get her to eat enough though... She used to have a huge appetite and would nibble on my fingers enthusiastically. Now fully terrestrial she barely eats. :( I'm going to try finding some live grubs or some wax worms for her.

Here is her buddy Yang, still in larval form.

Ha here's Piggy giving me the look. "Give me your yogurt NOW or else your foot gets it!" (Really she was just blinking cause the flash but was truly begging for the yogurt I was eating.) lol

mikem
01-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Wow! You might like ssnakess....do you know about the other forum? sSnakeSs Community (http://www.ssnakess.com/)

thanks for the link! i'll check it out :)

You have an anaconda? How big is it? I'm pretty fascinated by anacondas...

yes, i have a male green anaconda. he was born 9/7/11. so he's still young and small...around 27-29 inches. he's actually in shed at the moment! very calm and curious. he was captive bred by karl hermann.

EasternGirl
01-09-2012, 12:27 PM
How big will the anaconda get? There is a yellow anaconda at our very small local zoo. My son's father and I took my son there last year and I was so excited to see the anaconda (of course my son's father was afraid to even go inside the snake house! Don't even get me started on that...) I was so disappointed because when we got there, the anaconda was not there...it was at the vet. I'll have to go back another time to see it.

@Richard...funny you were talking about coyotes...my chihuahua sounds like a coyote when he howls. He is very big for a chihuahua..so I always joke that his breeder cross bred him with a coyote.

mikem
01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
i'll get some pics of him up soon. he liked to bite in the beginning, but he's super calm now. his parents were very calm specimens as well and it seems to carry over with these guys. the father was about 10ft at 7 years of age. he shouldn't get much bigger than that. the females are the monsters though! they're the big giants you usually see on television shows.

Charis
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting to know. So there is quite a bit of dimorphism between Anacondas? Kind of like garters and Rosy boas, to name a few.

EasternGirl
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes...that is interesting. I did not know that. I thought that all anacondas were huge. (not that 10 feet is not big...but I was thinking more along the lines of 15-20 feet) I was interested to find out recently that the biggest snake in the world...judging by length... is actually a reticulated python and not an anaconda. I think it's name is Fluffy...lol. It's picture is in the Guiness Book of World Records. Yep..Fluffy...24 feet: WORLD'S LONGEST SNAKE, Guinness World Records 2011 , PYTHON, ON EXHIBIT - YouTube (http://youtu.be/EWbMWX3tO8o)

ConcinusMan
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM
With the exception of a couple of very misguided eugenicists, nobody's pretending there is such a thing as an ideal Homo sapiens. That's the point. But when it comes to dog breeds, that's exactly what's going on.

Exactly what I am getting at.

ConcinusMan
01-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting to know. So there is quite a bit of dimorphism between Anacondas? Kind of like garters and Rosy boas, to name a few.

Not exactly. It's just that "anaconda" can refer to more than a single species. Just like "garter snake" can. There are yellow anacondas and green anacondas. It's not dimorphism, they are two different species. If there are two different morphs within a single population and species, you could call it dimorphism.

Charis
01-10-2012, 04:20 PM
So yellow anacondas are bigger or smaller generally than green anacondas? Not male green anacondas are generally much smaller than female green anacondas? Because, in the literature I've read anyway, dimorphorism is used to refer to a species with a marked difference in size between genders within the same species. That was the way I was using it and what I thought he was saying.

ConcinusMan
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
That would be sexual dimorphism (difference between the sexes) you're referring to. When I say "dimorphism" in regards to the laterally striped concinus', or any other snake, I mean there's two color morphs, regardless of sexual differences. I misunderstood because sexual wasn't specified.

The green anaconda is the largest snake. The yellow is a different species and doesn't get near as large.

EasternGirl
01-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Well the anacondas that I have seen...the one at the zoo and a couple in books that were yellow were huge. So how big do the green ones get? Do you know how big the biggest yellow one and the biggest green one are (were)?

mikem
01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
hey sorry for not keeping up here. yes, they are sexually dimorphic. biggest green according to wiki was 24ft 7in and estimated to weigh between 3-400lbs. yellows are smaller averaging about 12ft.

EasternGirl
01-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow...I thought the yellow ones were big. I don't know if I've even seen a green one...I must have though.

mikem
01-10-2012, 10:16 PM
they're impressive snakes. check out these youtube links to see the size difference of a large male and a large female:

male
30 year old Green Anaconda - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eVKPkWknR8&list=UUxEW8Humtlujy1URYvgFO1Q&index=3&feature=plcp)
female
How to Weigh a 15-Foot Anaconda - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MeAVq_yBVU&feature=related)

EasternGirl
01-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Wow...the second one was unbelievable! I take it these snakes bite? I saw the green one strike at the guy once...and I take it by the way the zoo staff was holding Pepper's head that she would bite too? I had no idea these snakes live so long. I guess if you choose to have one as a pet, you have to have a plan for someone to take care of it if the snake outlives you.

mikem
01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
yea, females are much more impressive, but i wouldn't want to deal with her on a daily basis! grabbing the head is more of a control/preventative measure. and it varies from snake to snake. some just have a more calm disposition than others. the parents of mine are used in hands on presentations and have excellent temperaments. hopefully that carried over to him :)

ConcinusMan
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I guess if you choose to have one as a pet, you have to have a plan for someone to take care of it if the snake outlives you.

They are not pets by any stretch of the imagination and shouldn't be kept as such. But then I feel the same way about Burmese pythons and retics too.

Light of Dae
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I gave Shade a bath n she did really good, didn't try to get out or anything... She just kept giving me this look ...
Afterwards drying her off she was growling at the towel lol

I think she had enough lol look at that face!

Went n played with Piggy after her bath... Piggy didn't wanna play with a wet pup lol

... Ya ok PLAY TIME!! lol *Bite bite* *Chew* lol

mikem
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
awww! the bath pic is so cute!! and always nice to see cat and dogs getting along, haha!

They are not pets by any stretch of the imagination and shouldn't be kept as such. But then I feel the same way about Burmese pythons and retics too.

i agree. definitely not an animal you'd want to handle by yourself as they get bigger. but you do get attached to your animals and "pet" is used loosely.

BUSHSNAKE
01-11-2012, 03:58 PM
i love burm and retics but what eatath a rabbith shitith a rabbith!

EasternGirl
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Love those pics Dae! That first pic of Shade is absolutely adorable! I love the one of the puppy and the cat too.

Yeah...I don't think I could ever watch anything eat a rabbit...I don't even like to see live mice and rats eaten. There was a link to another video on the page of the anaconda video of a rabbit being eaten by a snake...I clicked on it by accident and screamed and turned it off really fast!

kibakiba
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't care about seeing something eat a rabbit. I love the little bunnies here and I hate it when my cat tries eating the babies, but a snake? Wouldn't bother me as much. My cat is dumb though, she just chews on the leg then flings the still-live bunny down the hall where it normally starts screaming and runs dripping blood into my room. Have I ever said that blood freaks me out? Yeah.

RedSidedSPR
01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
cute dog!!

EasternGirl
01-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Oh my God Chantel! Now that would scar me for life!

kibakiba
01-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd say it happens about 10 times a year with rabbits, maybe up to 20 with birds... and too many with field mice. Of course, her catching the mice seems like a good thing... But she lets them go in the house ands its infested now.they dont fall for the traps or poison, either.

EasternGirl
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Eck! My cat once gave a mouse a heart attack or something. He was chasing the mouse and then the mouse just stood up on it's hind legs and then keeled over and croaked.

guidofatherof5
01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Poor mouse.:(
Bad cat.:mad:
:D

GarterGuy17
01-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I have three cats and a dog but I will only be showing my one cat who feels hes a king had him since I moved here got him when he was a baby so I understand why he gets so comfortable ! :D
3774 Say hello to cloud :)

EasternGirl
01-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I love it! I actually giggled when I looked at that pic...great position that cat is sitting in for the pic. I have 3 cats...1 of them weighs about 30 pounds...and a crazy chihuahua...who is actually 9 pounds...what is it with my very large animals?

GarterGuy17
01-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Lol I dont know but I have a silky terrier looks like a Yorkie but bigger and what not. Cloud has been with me since he was born he just feels that comfortable but I have no idea how much he ways. :)

EasternGirl
01-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I spoil my animals that is the problem...my cat is on diet food now...but he is almost 17 so...he'll probably just stay fat until he goes on to the great animal kingdom in the sky.

mikem
01-11-2012, 11:41 PM
30lbs!? that's a big cat! one of mine weighs 18lbs and i thought he was big, lol.

EasternGirl
01-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Yep...he likes to lie on top of me too! You should see when I have to pick him up!

Light of Dae
01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Lewie here, He weighs about 25lbs but there ain't an ounce of fat on him! He is all cat. We say he is our perpetually pissed off pussy cat though lol We got him as an adult... For the first five years of his life he was King Lewis, the only pet and so he was used to all the attention etc. Now he has a zoo to contend with lol But he is getting better, he doesn't full out attack Shade or Piggy anymore... just growls at them. Yes growl not hiss lol he is a tiger. Good mouser though, sits in the kitchen n waits (I purposely drop bread crumbs in between the cupboards n the stove) He does a good job.

3775He is just hunched here, so he looks fat, but he actually could stand to gain weight, I think he is too skinny. (When he is standing)

EasternGirl
01-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Nice to know there are cats out there as big as my Boo Cat...

3789 Here is a pic of Boo...please ignore the eyes..my son took the pic...I just wanted you guys to see the size of him!

mikem
01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
boo is the same color as my persian! here's a photo of my lil fatty :)

EasternGirl
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow. He looks just like Ian..my tabby...Ian doesn't have the long fur, but the coloring and the stripes. What a cute kitty!

catfishrod69
01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
well i would post pics of my other pets, but there are waaaay too many. so i will stick with a small list.
tarantulas
centipedes
tailess whipscorpions
scorpions
true spiders like widows
geckos
a few snakes
chickens
ducks
dogs
gunea pig
hampster
fish

guidofatherof5
01-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Now at 11 lbs Tank continues to mature. Notice how dark some of his skin is turning.
He is still as pleasant as can be. A lot of fun to be around.
His appetite is increasing as he ate a whole boneless pork chop for dinner the other night.
Hoping for 20+ lbs by years end.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Tank35.jpg

mikem
01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
tank is awesome! i was just looking at your youtube video with him. does he spend a lot of time in the water? i thought snappers needed water constantly. i don't know much about them, but tank makes me wanna get one! unfortunately i have cats and dogs, so i wouldn't be able to let him roam around the house. i'd be afraid it'd eat them, haha! i like how he's not aggressive. surely he could do some serious damage if he decided to bite, yea? how old is he? what does he usually eat? and how often?

guidofatherof5
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
tank is awesome! i was just looking at your youtube video with him. does he spend a lot of time in the water? i thought snappers needed water constantly. i don't know much about them, but tank makes me wanna get one! unfortunately i have cats and dogs, so i wouldn't be able to let him roam around the house. i'd be afraid it'd eat them, haha! i like how he's not aggressive. surely he could do some serious damage if he decided to bite, yea? how old is he? what does he usually eat? and how often?

Tank is 3 years old. He spends a few hours a day in his water. He gets a drink, eats and uses the bathroom in his water.
Most of his sleep time is spent outside the water. As I type he's on the couch sleeping in a comforter.
I think he could do a lot of damage if he were to bite. He gets along well with the dogs.
Keep in mind he is a special turtle as most snapping turtles don't do well in these situations.
As a rule they are solitary and shy away from human contact.
Tank is just the opposite. He seeks out our company and time.

catfishrod69
01-15-2012, 03:10 PM
thats very crazy. i have spent alot of time catching snappers. and a snapper pulled out of the water, is not a happy critter.
Tank is 3 years old. He spends a few hours a day in his water. He gets a drink, eats and uses the bathroom in his water.
Most of his sleep time is spent outside the water. As I type he's on the couch sleeping in a comforter.
I think he could do a lot of damage if he were to bite. He gets along well with the dogs.
Keep in mind he is a special turtle as most snapping turtles don't do well in these situations.
As a rule they are solitary and shy away from human contact.
Tank is just the opposite. He seeks out our company and time.

guidofatherof5
01-15-2012, 03:20 PM
thats very crazy. i have spent alot of time catching snappers. and a snapper pulled out of the water, is not a happy critter.

We consider ourselves very blessed to have Tank in our family.
Everyday is an adventure.

mikem
01-15-2012, 03:36 PM
incredible! did you get him as a baby? i see common snappers at herp shows all the time. last show a vendor had a bunch of alligator snappers. they just look mean. tank looks like a big puppy in a shell! lucky you :)

guidofatherof5
01-15-2012, 05:32 PM
He was a little bigger then a silver dollar when he was given to us.
He's originally from South Dakota.

mikem
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
was he special from the start or did he have the snapper attitude? :)

guidofatherof5
01-15-2012, 06:12 PM
He's never had that normal attitude. Just a very mellow turtle.
I think if he would have stayed in the wild he would not have lasted very long.
He's way to trusting and as we all know trusting humans usually means animals die.

mikem
01-15-2012, 06:20 PM
he's a very lucky turtle!

here's my other kitty. he's the same color as marnie's boo! fast asleep :rolleyes:

katach
01-16-2012, 12:10 AM
This is Ottalaus.
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8725/imag0179r.jpg

guidofatherof5
01-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Something looks fishy :D

kibakiba
01-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Wow, he's a pretty little fishy. Would make a nice meal for Mama....... :D

katach
01-16-2012, 12:22 AM
:) I don't even know it Betta is on the list of approved fish.... :D I think Ottalaus would have a problem with it though. :)

kimbosaur
01-16-2012, 12:27 AM
I love betta fish! They all have their own little personalities. I swear their pretty smart for a fish their size...or a fish overall.

katach
01-16-2012, 12:29 AM
He knows when it's food time just from us picking up the bottle of betta bites. He goes right to his feeding hole. He gets a little feisty if his light is left on too long though. I think he can see his reflection in the tank.

mikem
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
bettas are gorgeous fish! love the colors on yours kat!

here's a couple shots of my anaconda. he shed last night. sorry about the flash. too cold to go outside. no sunshine anyway :(

gregmonsta
01-16-2012, 12:20 PM
F000UK_kUq4

kibakiba
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Wow he is shiny as hell. He's pretty cute, too!

EasternGirl
01-16-2012, 01:28 PM
He's very pretty...and your cat does look just like a fluffier version of Boo!

Pretty fish Kat!

katach
01-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Cool snake!

Light of Dae
01-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Shade n Piggy begging for pancakes lol

Lol I was scrubbing the counter top n it kept making a squeaking noise and her head was going from side to side wondering what on earth I was doing. Was cute.

EasternGirl
01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
So cute! Love the face on that cat in the first pic!

RedSidedSPR
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
I ****ing love that dog

ConcinusMan
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel "Ginger". 11 wks

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8030/p0101120117.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4295/p01011201191.jpg

Light of Dae
01-18-2012, 06:53 AM
So cute! Love the face on that cat in the first pic!

That is Piggies best "I'm STARVING!!" Looks... I call her fat n she gives me this look "Oh that... That's not fat that's all fur... I swear... FEED ME!" lol She is our Pig.

Shade is almost fully potty trained, but she still has small puppy bladder, so at night... Getting better though. 1. She knows it's bad to make a mess in house, 2. There was only one mess this morning. She also already knows sit, speak. :)

I'll have to get a video of these two playing though... it's funny.

tress29
01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll have to get a video of these two playing though... it's funny.My dog and cat Wrestle! It's hilarious. They chase each other around, pounch on each other, roll aound, chew on each other. And all very quietly! When Eli is trying to get our other dog (Lucy) to play, he barks at her. Very loud, very non-stop, very annoying! LOVE when Eli and Houdini play!

EasternGirl
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
My chihuahua sits on my cat's head all the time...he bugs him and bugs him until he finally freaks out. My cat Boo is the sweetest cat in the world...it takes a lot to make him mad. But my dog will bug him until my cat finally has enough and grabs him by his head and bites him! It's so funny...

mikem
01-18-2012, 12:05 PM
@Light of Dae - love the pics! especially the face of your kitty in that first pic, lol!

@ConcinnusMan - ginger is adorable! love the eyes!

@EasternGirl - great photo! boo just doesn't care, haha!

Light of Dae
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Here's a good face from Piggy lol (Her face is still really skinny looking but she's fat now, Better then when I had found her, just a bag of bones with a belly full of worms. Now she's just getting fat)

Light of Dae
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
When I first found Pig I wanted to call her Yzma from the Emperors New Groove lol because she was so skinny... But after she started eating a better name found her, hence her name PIGGY

mikem
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
:eek: those eyes! :eek: reminds me of a scene from the movie puss in boots. did she get the name piggy when you found her or after she started gaining weight?

how do you post images that shows them at full size rather than having them show up as attachments?

edit: you answered my question before i could finish posting! that's too funny!

Light of Dae
01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
how do you post images that shows them at full size rather than having them show up as attachments?

Just double click them n it should bring up a box with some options. :)

mikem
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
ok, let me try..

this is claire, another one of my kitties:

edit: yep, that works, thanks!

Charis
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Beautiful kitty! Like the name too!

EasternGirl
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
So cute! Hey I didn't know that about the double-clicking on pics...good to know!

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Here's something cool for those of you who are into garter-like snakes! These are liophis typhlus, a 1.2 trio. I will be working with this group until springtime when they will then be moving on to their final home in canada! Lucky for me though, he gave me permission to breed them this season, if they are willing, and I'm even allowed to keep any babies they produce!! They are really awesome snakes, very similar to garter snakes in diet and habits, except for they hood up like little cobras! The male is VERY interested in the girls and is constantly trying to mate when placed with them. I'm going to keep them all separate until they shed and I'm sure they are feeding well, and then I'll introduce again with hopes that they make some eggs! These snakes are VERY VERY rare in US collections so if I am able to get some eggs I will be absolutely THRILLED. It would be such an honor to own f1 liophis typhlus! If they don't produce while in my care, at least I will have future access to any babies they produce in the future because of my canadian friend!!

These pictures are terrible but basically, they are a green snake with neon orange in between their scales that becomes very apparent when they hood.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/2994bd85.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/82525bba.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/f4a6501e.jpg

guidofatherof5
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Beautiful snakes.

ConcinusMan
01-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Nice. Love the green color. Reminds me of some of the green rubber boas I have found in WA.

mikem
01-18-2012, 02:15 PM
good looking snakes there. good luck with breeding!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Recently I acquired my 5th elaphe carinata... an adult female! Venus is full of spit and vinegar... she's very aggressive and REALLY knows how to tell me where to go. She does things I didn't even know king rats did... she inflates her whole body, flattens her head...and when she strikes she MEANS IT!

Here she is:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/33f681d6.jpg

And this year I'm looking to pair her to my newest male, who is extremely high yellow, Phoenix! He already tries mating with her any time he meets her, but they need to be brumated before things heat up.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/05d1102c.jpg

My other female, Isis, is not a little baby any more. She will probably be breedable in the next year or two!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/026d2d41.jpg

Midas, another male

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/fbad532b.jpg

and Ra, the one who started all of this! He's my sweetie pie :P

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/5fcc46ce.jpg

guidofatherof5
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Very beautiful snakes Shannon.

mikem
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
very nice! i like the high yellow on phoenix :)

EasternGirl
01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
All very beautiful snakes...would love to see the hood on the first one if you can get a pic of that!

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-18-2012, 10:45 PM
All very beautiful snakes...would love to see the hood on the first one if you can get a pic of that!

I will try! It is pretty hard because they are very wiggly! And fast... And they don't stay hooded for long

EasternGirl
01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
So...has anyone ever seen Cesar Millan's Chihuahua's From Hell episodes on The Dog Whisperer? Well, if you have then you know my dog Presley. He is the sweetest dog in the world with me and usually with the rest of my family, but he is a typical chihuahua...he is territorial, jealous, possessive. If he has a toy or food and you come near it...he turns into Cujo. If he is sitting on my lap and you get near me...Cujo. If he is lying near me and a cat comes toward me, he goes psycho...but the funny thing is he is very confused in his anger...so he will get mad at the cat, but then bite the crap out of me! He has a nasty little bite too. He got me good today. I was taking a nap and he was lying with me next to my head and the cat walked up to me...and he went nuts and bit the heck out of my hand. Nutty-arse dog!

BUSHSNAKE
01-20-2012, 08:51 AM
my buddy likes Australian Pythons...and so do I :) a Caramal Jag Coastal....Olive...and Water Python

BUSHSNAKE
01-20-2012, 08:52 AM
and a Tiger Jag

tress29
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone ever had a ferret? I've always been fascinated with them, but have heard horror stories @ litter boxes and household damage. I know some of those folks had cages that were very small, the animal wasn't socialized very well, etc. Any stories of good experiences?

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
your BUDDY and I need to have a talk cause those are HOT!!! also why did you send me a blank text this morning?

BUSHSNAKE
01-20-2012, 09:39 AM
whatcha talking bout, did i text u?.....those are Pats animals Shannon

BUSHSNAKE
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
...i had to go check out that caramel jag!....ALL the bigger jags have nuero issues, kinda sad

chris-uk
01-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Is it just me or do the jags just have the sort of face that only a mother could love? The caramel isn't too bad, but the tiger jag...
On the other hand, the olive and water pythons are good looking snakes.

Light of Dae
01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Lol they're like wine, some love it right of the bat, others.. it's an acquired taste lol

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Is it just me or do the jags just have the sort of face that only a mother could love? The caramel isn't too bad, but the tiger jag...
On the other hand, the olive and water pythons are good looking snakes.

IMO my jag has the cutest damned face out of all 8 of my morelia. A well-bred jag is hard to beat as far as looks go, but there are TONS of sub-par animals floating around on the market. When it come to jags, whether it be looks, or the neuro issue, it all boils down to the lineage and the discretion of the breeder. The lineage is EVERYTHING when it comes to them. You really do get what you pay for when buying a carpet python... that's why i don't hesitate to shell out serious $$$ for mine.

This is Rorschach... he's a 2011 Red Hypo Coastal Jag produced by Luke Snell of Morelia in Wonderland. Pick of the litter too! As an adult, this snake will be an ivory white color, with black outlining the red/tan saddles. I've seen photos of his older sister... they are simply STUNNING snakes... but he needs to grow into his colors first :)

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/0972db88.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/c58f490c.jpg

EasternGirl
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Very lovely snakes. @Tress...my ex had a ferret that he loved. I have always heard they are kind of dirty and smelly...but he was an anal retentive neat freak, so if he could have a ferret, they can't be that bad. I know they do chew a lot. The little guy used to hide under the couch and the minute I would take my shoes off when I went over there...he would steal my shoes and drag them under the couch to chew them. That's about all I know...

BUSHSNAKE
01-20-2012, 12:51 PM
IMO my jag has the cutest damned face out of all 8 of my morelia. A well-bred jag is hard to beat as far as looks go, but there are TONS of sub-par animals floating around on the market. When it come to jags, whether it be looks, or the neuro issue, it all boils down to the lineage and the discretion of the breeder. The lineage is EVERYTHING when it comes to them. You really do get what you pay for when buying a carpet python... that's why i don't hesitate to shell out serious $$$ for mine.

This is Rorschach... he's a 2011 Red Hypo Coastal Jag produced by Luke Snell of Morelia in Wonderland. Pick of the litter too! As an adult, this snake will be an ivory white color, with black outlining the red/tan saddles. I've seen photos of his older sister... they are simply STUNNING snakes... but he needs to grow into his colors first :)

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/0972db88.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/c58f490c.jpg
the caramel jag is from Nick Mutton and the tiger jag is from Jason Baylin...your jag looks nice Shannon but at some point is going to get all nuero on you:p

chris-uk
01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Guess they're a marmite animal. The shape of the head doesn't do it for me. Colours of the two in Shannon's second pic are great though.

Charis
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
As to ferrets, I had two for awhile. My main advice is, research homemade diets for them!! That is probably the single most important thing. There are lots of recipes on the 'net. The commercial stuff is crap! Made my ferret's waste smell terrible and the poop would get a half inch of glowing neon blue mold within 24 hours. I didn't know at that point about making your own food, but have since talked to other owners that do, and they don't have those issues. They do have a musky smell, some people might not be able to stand it. I fund it somewhat pleasant. It would get really powerful about every month, month and a half and I'd give them a bath with some ferret specific shampoo. So other than their waste, which can be controlled with the right diet, they didn't smell bad IMHO. They aren't the right pet for everyone but they do make good pets. They have a good blend of cat and dog characteristics. If you don't like cats, a ferret is probably not for you.

tress29
01-21-2012, 07:02 AM
As to ferrets, I had two for awhile. My main advice is, research homemade diets for them!! That is probably the single most important thing. There are lots of recipes on the 'net. The commercial stuff is crapI spent over an hour last night reading about raw diets for them! The results are better muscle tone, softer, longer coats, cleaner teeth and reduced smell in the litter box. It's like feeding a premium dog food over grocery store brands. There are less fillers, so less poo. I'm going to look at a pair of girls today, guy's apt complex is changing to no pets. That sure sucks!

ConcinusMan
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
http://youtu.be/oKM57oyz0kM

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
a couple of my critters

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3446.jpgStromatopelma calceatum adult female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3301.jpgLatrodectus mactans female with sack
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3244.jpgBreeding Brachypelma vagans
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3212.jpgLatrodectus geometricus female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3211.jpgDolomedes tenebrosus female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3203.jpgAcanthoscuria geniculata female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3579.jpgLerius quinquestriatus
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3199.jpgOrnithoctonus sp. Koh Samui female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3772.jpgScolopendra subspinipes dehanni

thanks for looking, and if interested to see more, i will add more pics to photobucket.

guidofatherof5
01-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Very cool.

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 03:45 PM
thanks, if you were talking to me...intersted in more? ill have to do some uploading sometime.
Very cool.

guidofatherof5
01-21-2012, 03:52 PM
thanks, if you were talking to me...intersted in more? ill have to do some uploading sometime.

Load away.

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
haha. gimme a little time. i have to upload some of of sd, and some from usb. thanks

Load away.

snakehill
01-21-2012, 04:07 PM
WOW!:eek: Very nice collection!!

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM
here is a few more. this is just a small percent of my collection. over 250 tarantulas, and alot of other invertibrates. ENJOY!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3234.jpgPsalmopoeus cambridgei 7" female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3236.jpgBrachypelma smithi juvie female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3262.jpgGrammostola pulchripes 6" female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3278.jpgPoecilotheria regalis gravid female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3287-1.jpgStromatopelma calceatum mature male
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3293.jpgParaphysa scrofa adult female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3310.jpgEphubopus murinus adult female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3416.jpgEphubopus murinus freshly molted
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3318.jpgCyclosternum fasciatum juvie female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3325.jpgLasiodora difficilis 8" female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3345.jpgBreeding Lasiodora difficilis
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3344.jpgBreeding Grammostola pulchripes
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3368.jpgBreeding holothele incei
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3384.jpgAvicularia urticans sp. peru purple adult female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3406.jpgCyclosternum fasciatum adult gravid female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3414.jpgLerius quinquestriatus enjoying meal
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3430.jpgHapalopus sp. columbia large sling
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3433.jpgAvicularia versicolor juvie
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3442.jpgStromatopelma calceatum eggsac
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3439.jpgStromatopelma calceatum slings
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3450-1.jpgBreeding Hadogenes paucidens
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/Mbalfourifemale1.jpgMonocentropus balfouri juvie female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3504.jpgPlatymeris bugatta adults
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3553.jpgLasiodora parahybana 8" female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3558.jpgPlatymeris bugatta adult
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3885.jpgPlatymeris bugatta adult
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3701.jpgLasiodora parahybana 8" female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3712.jpgLasiodora difficilis 8" female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3791.jpgGorgyrella sp. black trapdoor spider
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3861.jpgSolipugid (camel spider)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3890.jpgPlatymeris rhadamanthus
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/Damondiademamm.jpgDamon diadema adult male
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/flatrockmale14.jpgHadogenes paucidens adult male
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/goku2.jpgTokay gecko (Goku)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/Hlividum2.jpgHaplopelma lividum adult female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/kong17.jpgHypo pastel red tail boa (Kong)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/Pregalis5.jpgPoecilotheria regalis adult female
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/Pseudoscorpion4.jpgPsuedoscorpion
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/redtrapdoor3.jpgGorgyrella sp. red trapdoor spider
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/shiela2.jpgBall python (Sheila)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/vinegaroon3.jpgVinegaroon
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/Pmetallicafemale1.jpgPoecilotheria metallica adult female (worth $500)

guidofatherof5
01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Load away? right. That's a load. Thanks.

Okay. Now a question. Why a garter snake? Don't take that wrong. I think it's a great choice but not one most people with your keeping background makes.

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 04:56 PM
haha. i totally understand that. invertibrates are my passion. but when a friend of mine was getting out of the hobby, he sold me a load of tarantulas, other inverts, the ball python and the pair of garters for $200. now he is divorced, and looking to get back in, so i hooked him up with a few widows that had sacs, and will be giving him a few tarantula slings soon. im not really big on reptiles anymore. i love them and they are awesome. but they require too much time and money. invertibrates are easy. i heat the room. gutload my feeders with protein, and feed and water. super easy. no lighting, heat mats, flexwatt, all that stuff.

Okay. Now a question. Why a garter snake? Don't take that wrong. I think it's a great choice but not one most people with your keeping background makes.

tress29
01-21-2012, 09:37 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/catfishrod69/DSCF3433.jpgAvicularia versicolor juvie
I have a versicolor too but I don't think we're keeping it. I offered it to a friend and she's trying to convince her hubby! It's not a take it out and play with it pet, and one of my boys desperately wants to squish it!

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-21-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm totally into inverts!!!! But right now my collection of them is very small... I have some scolopendra subspinipes dehani.... and I'm looking to get more at some point... next show I want to pick up 1 or 2 brachypelma smithi slings. I think one day I will have a large collection of inverts!

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 10:37 PM
well hey if your friend isnt able to take it I will take it off your hands, if your willing to ship it. I can explain how if needed.
I have a versicolor too but I don't think we're keeping it. I offered it to a friend and she's trying to convince her hubby! It's not a take it out and play with it pet, and one of my boys desperately wants to squish it!

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
thats very awesome. dehanni are really cool. i am looking into sexing pedes. a few friends know how to. you either have to gas them with co2, then pop their sex organs, or another friend drowns them in water until they pass out, then pop their se organs. i havent gotten into it yet. i only have 2 pedes. the other is a Ethmostigmus triginipodus sp. blue ring leg. what all inverts do you have?
I'm totally into inverts!!!! But right now my collection of them is very small... I have some scolopendra subspinipes dehani.... and I'm looking to get more at some point... next show I want to pick up 1 or 2 brachypelma smithi slings. I think one day I will have a large collection of inverts!

mikem
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
love the p. regalis! i have a few inverts. 4 two year old g. rosea. they grow terribly slow, haha! also have a female p. murinus. the only true spider i keep is a kukulcania hibernalis. nothing fancy, but i like them :)

catfishrod69
01-21-2012, 10:42 PM
thats cool. yea rosea grow slow. when they are adult, it takes 2-3 years between molts. hows your P. murinus act? my 4 are almost impossible to open up. whenever i even walk close to them, they run to the top of their webbing, flip upside down, and assume the position.
love the p. regalis! i have a few inverts. 4 two year old g. rosea. they grow terribly slow, haha! also have a female p. murinus. the only true spider i keep is a kukulcania hibernalis. nothing fancy, but i like them :)

mikem
01-22-2012, 12:55 AM
she's not that bad at all. i made her a little cave out of an egg flat that she stays in. the opening and the tunnel inside is probably about the size of a golf ball... maybe a little bigger. i don't see her often. when she's out, i know it's feeding time! when i open the lid she just retreats to her cave. i'll drop the roach in and she'll come back out like lightning to snatch it up! the only time she's aggressive is when i go in with a paint brush to remove her. she'll attack it all day long :rolleyes:

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 06:57 AM
right back at ya Jonn.....

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 07:01 AM
more

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 07:06 AM
and some more

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 07:13 AM

I started of with tatantulas in the mid 90's and still occasionaly keep them, depending on what it is. I also love Latrodectus and Scolopendra!...watch them fingers!
I also did some of the earliest U.S. breedings of some Theraphosid species...geniculata, hirsutum, fimbriatus, Euathus sp. yellow etc.

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 08:22 AM
thats cool. wierd she hasnt webbed the entire tank full.
she's not that bad at all. i made her a little cave out of an egg flat that she stays in. the opening and the tunnel inside is probably about the size of a golf ball... maybe a little bigger. i don't see her often. when she's out, i know it's feeding time! when i open the lid she just retreats to her cave. i'll drop the roach in and she'll come back out like lightning to snatch it up! the only time she's aggressive is when i go in with a paint brush to remove her. she'll attack it all day long :rolleyes:

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 08:26 AM
thats very cool man. love the pics. i can name almost all of those. yeah Latrodectus and Scolopendra are awesome. thats also very cool. my buddy up north recently hatched the first sack of Idiothele mira (bluefoot baboon). and there have been alot more new hatchings this past year.
I started of with tatantulas in the mid 90's and still occasionaly keep them, depending on what it is. I also love Latrodectus and Scolopendra!...watch them fingers!
I also did some of the earliest U.S. breedings of some Theraphosid species...geniculata, hirsutum, fimbriatus, Euathus sp. yellow etc.

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 08:56 AM
when i was more involved it was a big deal to breed anything, now everything is being bred....successfully. I wanted to breed Scolopendra SO BAD...didnt even know where to begin...and people are now doing it...thats awesome! If come across any cool Latrodectus let me know John...or any Lady Birds...those are rare but so cool

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-22-2012, 08:58 AM
do you guys know someone named Robert Slagle by chance?

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 09:01 AM
the calceatum pic was for you man
thats very cool man. love the pics. i can name almost all of those. yeah Latrodectus and Scolopendra are awesome. thats also very cool. my buddy up north recently hatched the first sack of Idiothele mira (bluefoot baboon). and there have been alot more new hatchings this past year.

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 09:07 AM
yeah i seen her. hopefully my girl drops another sac, and my other girl is gravid.
the calceatum pic was for you man

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 09:16 AM
hey John are you familiar with Lady Bird Spiders? if not look em up...theyre wicked!

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
oh yeah i am. i forgot all about those. i really wanted some a while back. those are really cool. would love to find some that i can get.

BUSHSNAKE
01-22-2012, 09:48 AM
"This dude" used to go to this island off of Africa somewhere. He would find these "Moster Face" lady bird spiders. They where black but literally had this orange face, looked like someone painted a pumkin on these things. God those were cool, thats the only other species ive ever seen besides the black and red ones

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 09:53 AM
thats very cool. well the females are black, but the males are the ones that are colorful.

EasternGirl
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry but I spend my life trying to avoid spiders...the last thing I would do is bring a bunch into my house on purpose...eckkk...looking at those pics makes my skin get all goose bumpy...I think one of them is crawling on me...lol. No offense...I know there are people that feel the same way about my snakes. To each their own...I just have serious arachnaphobia!

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 12:33 PM
thats completely understandable. their are people on the tarantula forum that were hard core arachnopobes, but converted over to the invert obsession.
I'm sorry but I spend my life trying to avoid spiders...the last thing I would do is bring a bunch into my house on purpose...eckkk...looking at those pics makes my skin get all goose bumpy...I think one of them is crawling on me...lol. No offense...I know there are people that feel the same way about my snakes. To each their own...I just have serious arachnaphobia!

snakehill
01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
But you have to admit they are beautiful right? ;)

kibakiba
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Not to me. They would have to be a rainbow mixture of my favourite colours, without any fangs and only two eyes in order for me to consider it cute or beautiful.

EasternGirl
01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah...no...again, no offense intended...but I don't see beauty in spiders...just creepy, crawly, scariness...

kibakiba
01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm mostly afraid of them because I get bad reactions to bites,and spiders here have very murredous intentions...

catfishrod69
01-22-2012, 02:12 PM
naaa. tarantulas and spiders arent as bad as they are made out to be. no tarantula is aggresive. they are alot of defensive species though.
I'm mostly afraid of them because I get bad reactions to bites,and spiders here have very murredous intentions...

EasternGirl
01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Tarantulas actually do not bother me as much as other spiders. I do not like the little spindly crawly ones at all. Big and hairy doesn't freak me out as much...go figure :rolleyes:.

Charis
01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm not crazy about spiders either but the big hairy ones bother me less for some reason too. They give me the creeps but I can admire some of them as pretty and I looked into some of them as a pet for a family member and they are actually pretty interesting.

Mommy2many
01-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Can't say I like spiders. Anything with more than 4 furry legs is on my "don't do list" :)

snakehill
01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
I wish everybody would list Common names as well as Scientific names for us dummies! I'm getting googled out!:p

EasternGirl
01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I hear you Joanne...and you're not a dummy...why would you know the scientific name to every species out there? I don't think a scientist knows the scientific name to every species off the top of their head. Unless they are some sort of savant. I have never held a tarantula, but I would. Any other creepy crawly spider better stay the heck away from me. I have no idea why tarantulas do not bother me like other spiders...they just don't seem like spiders to me with the hair and all. The more spindly they are...with the creepy long legs...the more they bother me. We get these spiders...I can't remember the name of them...they are related to daddy long legs but they aren't daddy long legs...and they are attracted to dust...they gather up in the corners of your house where dust is. You get them in old houses...they are very hard to see...they are almost translucent and they have long spindly legs...I call them spindly spiders. We get them all the time and they freak me out...I hate them! I get them in my bathroom in the summer....ecckkkk! I have to stop talking about it...my skin is crawling! New topic please!

snakehill
01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
You don't kill them though right? I put them outside (when I'm at work because everyone else kills them!) but most of the time I just ignore them. We've always lived in old houses (antique) so you get used to them! ;)

EasternGirl
01-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Nope...sorry...I kill them. I am not picking one of them up to take it outside...for starters, I wouldn't make it outside...I would probably faint. I'm sorry, I really do not like to kill living things...but I am talking about serious arachnaphobia here. It's me or them. Feel free to drive down to my house to take them all outside. Not ignoring them either...as I have had them crawl on me...I actually have an exterminator come in and spray for them once a month now. Sorry...can't deal with spiders.

catfishrod69
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
actually daddy long legs are not spiders. they are harvestman. and actually have no venom at all.

Stefan-A
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
actually daddy long legs are not spiders. they are harvestman. and actually have no venom at all.
They are still arachnids.

catfishrod69
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
true.
They are still arachnids.

EasternGirl
01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
I know they are technically not spiders...just using them as a comparison to the spiders in my house because they look very similar...

catfishrod69
01-23-2012, 05:03 PM
not positive but the ones that are in your house might be cobweb spiders. they have tiny bodies, with super long thin as hair legs?
I know they are technically not spiders...just using them as a comparison to the spiders in my house because they look very similar...

EasternGirl
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah...that sounds right...they are attracted to dust and cobwebs. I hate them! You can barely see the stupid things when they are crawling on something. They actually have another name because I googled them once...but I can't remember what it was.

catfishrod69
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
yeah. i remember reading what they were also, but cant remember either.

BUSHSNAKE
01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
cellar spiders?

Light of Dae
01-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Cellar spiders (Pholcidae)

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/insimg/05512F06.jpg

Figure 7. Cellar spider.

Cellar spiders are usually found in dark corners of cellars, crawl spaces, and garages. They are very long-legged and often confused with daddy-long-legs. However, they are true spiders that spin untidy webs which are often quite extensive. When disturbed, they characteristically bounce in the web. Female cellar spiders carry eggs by her jaws in a loose silk sac until they hatch.

Daddy-long-legs (Harvestmen, Phalangids)Daddy-long-legs are not true spiders, but are arachnids placed in another order (Opiliones). You commonly encounter them outdoors, particularly when adults are present in late summer and early fall. Because they are active around harvest time, one of their common names is ‘harvestmen’. Daddy-long-legs are characterized by extremely long legs and a body that is not distinctly separated into regions. Unlike spiders, daddy-long-legs do not possess poison glands nor do they produce silk. A common, worldwide ‘urban legend’ about daddy-long-legs is that they are “the most poisonous spider, except their fangs are too small to pierce human skin.” This is completely without foundation.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/insimg/05512f21.jpg

guidofatherof5
01-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Tank decided to get up on his own. After uncovering him I took this photo.
Dang he is one handsome snapping turtle.
The girls will be at the front door this Spring wanting Tank to "come out and play" :D
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/tank361.jpg

CarlieLynn
01-23-2012, 11:24 PM
I have a cat (male his name is paws, a tabby on white) and a weiner dog (female named Ginger, chocolate coloured). I also have a ton of fish, mostly cichlids and catfish.
These are the corns;

MALES

BUTTERS (GOLDDUST MOTLEY)
NORAN (GHOST MOTLEY/STRIPE HET. DILUTE)
BOW (SUNGLOW MOTLEY AMEL HET ANERY)
DAMON (WHITEOUT)
MIRAGE (SNOW MOTLEY)

FEMALES

DAZZLE (MOTLEY ULTRAMEL HET ANERY)
FIESTA (ULTRAMEL HET MOTLEY ANERY)
SWEETS (SNOW HET LAVENDER MOTLEY)
AREO (ANERY HET LAVENDER MOTLEY)
FREYA (BLIZZARD)
CANDY (CARMEL MOTLEY HET. BUTTER STRIPE)
BREE (AMBER PH. BUTTER)
RIN (BLOODRED HET. ANERY STRIPE)
EQUIS (ANERY/MOTLEY STRIPE HET. HYPO DILUTE)

(Didn't want to flood the thread with pics, ahah)

guidofatherof5
01-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a big crew. This thread is also for your photos. If not a flood a trickle would be nice.;)

CarlieLynn
01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
MALES

BUTTERS (GOLDDUST MOTLEY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/golddustmot.jpg
NORAN (GHOST MOTLEY/STRIPE HET. DILUTE)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/ghostmot.jpg
BOW (SUNGLOW MOTLEY AMEL HET ANERY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3305-Copy.jpg
DAMON (WHITEOUT)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3309-Copy.jpg
MIRAGE (SNOW MOTLEY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG2059.jpg

FEMALES

DAZZLE (HURRICANE MOTLEY ULTRAMEL HET ANERY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3276-Copy.jpg

CarlieLynn
01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
FIESTA (ULTRAMEL HET MOTLEY ANERY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3328-Copy.jpg
SWEETS (SNOW HET LAVENDER MOTLEY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3374-Copy.jpg
AREO (ANERY HET LAVENDER MOTLEY)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3241-Copy.jpg
FREYA (BLIZZARD)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3386-Copy.jpg
CANDY (CARMEL MOTLEY HET. BUTTER STRIPE)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3347-Copy.jpg
BREE (AMBER PH. BUTTER)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/CIMG3291-Copy.jpg

CarlieLynn
01-24-2012, 12:33 AM
RIN (BLOODRED HET. ANERY STRIPE) (currently on leave ! )
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/IMG_0759.jpg
EQUIS (ANERY MOTLEY/STRIPE HET HYPO DILUTE)
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af95/CarlieLynn/Snakes/anerymotleyf2.jpg

Sorry to taking up 3 posts !

guidofatherof5
01-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Sweet.

EasternGirl
01-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Very lovely! And @Dae...yes, those are the dumbarse spiders! Echkkkk!!!

catfishrod69
01-24-2012, 02:02 PM
very gorgeous snakes. love them. thanks for sharing.

BUSHSNAKE
01-24-2012, 02:22 PM
nice corns! mirage looks like a big boy

CarlieLynn
01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Thank you :), and he is a good size weighs in it 710g.

mikem
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
very nice collection you have there carlielynn!

ConcinusMan
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow! nice corns.

Depends on which "daddy long leg" you're talking about. There is an actual spider with that common name. Your "cellar spiders" are sometimes called daddy long legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW3F7Ke67gQ

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
geez, this thread is getting more and more corny lately!!

:rolleyes:

BUSHSNAKE
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Here's something cool for those of you who are into garter-like snakes! These are liophis typhlus, a 1.2 trio. I will be working with this group until springtime when they will then be moving on to their final home in canada! Lucky for me though, he gave me permission to breed them this season, if they are willing, and I'm even allowed to keep any babies they produce!! They are really awesome snakes, very similar to garter snakes in diet and habits, except for they hood up like little cobras! The male is VERY interested in the girls and is constantly trying to mate when placed with them. I'm going to keep them all separate until they shed and I'm sure they are feeding well, and then I'll introduce again with hopes that they make some eggs! These snakes are VERY VERY rare in US collections so if I am able to get some eggs I will be absolutely THRILLED. It would be such an honor to own f1 liophis typhlus! If they don't produce while in my care, at least I will have future access to any babies they produce in the future because of my canadian friend!!

These pictures are terrible but basically, they are a green snake with neon orange in between their scales that becomes very apparent when they hood.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/2994bd85.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/82525bba.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/f4a6501e.jpg
how did i miss these?

RedSidedSPR
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
awesome shannon.

Richard what's the story with the horse...

ConcinusMan
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
There's actually two horses. They're in my front yard. House is on an acre. They belong to the owners of the property. I just look after them. Same goes for Cavalier puppy.

geez, this thread is getting more and more corny lately!!

If your corn snake has a favorite hide, do you call it a "corn hole" ?

ConcinusMan
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
I've drawn my dogs faces before so I decided to draw a cavalier...

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/400/gedc1877.jpg

Light of Dae
02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Here's Rose, She is putting some weight on... slowly. She has THE BIGGEST freaking head ever! The rope halter on her, you can see is way to small but it's a large and it's the only thing I could secure around her face. I bought her an extra large halter thinking it would fit... HA I couldn't come close to touching the strap to the buckle! I have to special order an XXL Draft halter.

Tough to put weight on her when she won't eat any treats like apples, carrots, sugar cubes, mini wheats, cookies, plain rolled oats, sweet feed or molasses oats! I have shoved everyone of these treats in her mouth to get her to realize they are good, and she shoves them out of her mouth with her tongue! lol Even the sugar cube! lol With that she seemed to try n scrap her tongue on her teeth to get it off her tongue! It's so frustrating!!! The only thing she'll eat is her hay. If I sprinkle oats on her hay to try n trick her into eating them she will use her upper lip n push the oats away n grab the hay underneath. She's impossible! I am going to see if I can find some 100% alfalfa bales to put more weight on her bones.

Lewis looking for mice like a good sourpuss, Shade looking at Lewie wondering why he doesn't like her. lol

lol Cole splitting wood with a cold(Don't mind the look on his face lol he is miserable when he is sick lol) Shade of course chewing on every new chunk of wood to come her way :)

Light of Dae
02-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Very nice drawing of the Spaniel pup btw the only suggestion I'd say is smudge your finger in-between her eyes to create the bridge n shape of her nose. It is a beautiful drawing regardless :)

EasternGirl
02-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Nice pics Dae! Love your animals! You need to go over the the Oh So Quiet thread and give an update on the baby situation.

EasternGirl
02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
My chihuahua, Presley, sleeping on top of my cat, Boo, again...

ConcinusMan
02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Very nice drawing of the Spaniel pup btw the only suggestion I'd say is smudge your finger in-between her eyes to create the bridge n shape of her nose. It is a beautiful drawing regardless :)

TKS :)

Tough to put weight on her when she won't eat any treats like apples, carrots, sugar cubes, mini wheats, cookies, plain rolled oats, sweet feed or molasses oats! I have shoved everyone of these treats in her mouth to get her to realize they are good, and she shoves them out of her mouth with her tongue! lol Even the sugar cube! lol With that she seemed to try n scrap her tongue on her teeth to get it off her tongue! It's so frustrating!!! The only thing she'll eat is her hay. If I sprinkle oats on her hay to try n trick her into eating them she will use her upper lip n push the oats away n grab the hay underneath. She's impossible! I am going to see if I can find some 100% alfalfa bales to put more weight on her bones.

One of the horses I'm caring for is significantly underweight too. Not from neglect though. First off, her teeth needed to be floated (filed down) so she wasn't chewing/digesting properly. Got that done. Another factor is her age. She's 26. Even giving her lots of hay bales (which were mostly alfalfa) she just wasn't putting on the weight. Started giving her alfalfa pellets instead. No waste and easier to digest. I now feed her less and yet she's putting on weight steadily. Turns out it's a bit cheaper to feed her the pellets too. They have a tad bit of corn in them too. Will your horse eat pellets?

Light of Dae
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Hmm I'll have to try the pellets... I wonder if I could buy a small sample first lol instead of having a full bag just sit there... Rose is only 3years old, doubt she needs her teeth done yet.. She was skinny simply due to neglect n then she was thrown in with other horses n never got to eat much n stayed away form people cause she didn't know to trust. She has come a long way since I got her, I can now walk right up to her n give her some lovins lol still working on being able to touch her feet... getting there. She took the deworming like a champ lol

Hey I wonder if she'd like peanut butter....

ConcinusMan
02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Even if she's young her teeth should be checked once a year, and floated if necessary.

Float a Horse's Teeth -- What Does that Mean and Why is it Necessary? (http://www.eleganthorsepictures.com/flhotewhdoth.html)

If she likes alfalfa, she'll probably eat the pellets. It helps for gaining weight because it's easier to digest. Should cost about the same as hay for the month, or even a bit less. You can feed them less since it's all digested well. Too much of the hay just doesn't get digested so it goes to waste.

I was giving her 5 big flakes of alfalfa hay a day after having her teeth floated, and she still wasn't gaining weight. Just 4 coffee cans of pellets a day and she's putting on weight now for less money.:)

You should have her teeth checked. That might be why she's spitting stuff out and having weight trouble.

guidofatherof5
02-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I always knew Tank(Chelydra sepentina-common snapping turtle) was special and he hasn't let me down in his ability to interact and live with my family.
Tonight after hand feeding Tank his meal of Tilapia he came out of his enclosure.
The way he came out made me think he was ready to go back to bed.
He did just as I though he would. He came in behind me as I working with my laptop on the living room floor.
I grabbed a blanket and he cuddled in along my legs.
I could feel him pushing against so I moved slightly away.
As I moved he would slide up so he could touch me.
Checking on him I found him stretched out, sound asleep. He was very comfortable sleeping along side his old dad.
What a wonderful turtle.

mikem
02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
only if all snappers were like tank! :D perhaps he was a dog in his past life!

guidofatherof5
02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
only if all snappers were like tank! :D perhaps he was a dog in his past life!

I know a few snapping turtle keepers who are amazed at Tank. They can't believe how he interacts with us.
They have asked to take him off my hands.
That would be like getting rid of a family member.
Tank will be with our family for a long time.

guidofatherof5
02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Waking the sleeping giant.
Tank has a such a rough life.:D

*Update*
A funny thing just happened shortly after Tank went into his water.
He let one rip. He's had gas before but it was just tiny bubbles.
This was a "make your head turn" rip.
No more beans for him.:D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/tank38.jpg

EasternGirl
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
That literally made me laugh out loud!

mikem
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
That's too funny! do you ever have to trim his nails?

i was browsing snapping turtle videos on youtube and came across this guy with a large one he found. i thought of tank because it seems pretty relaxed.
Huge Snapping Turtle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEhZ2Ql9mc&feature=related)

guidofatherof5
02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Never trim the nails. No need to.
Great video. Hoping my Tank will get that large.

guidofatherof5
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
That literally made me laugh out loud!

Imagine what I did. I was the "embarrassed parent" at first. Then all I could do was laugh.
Tank said the dog did it. :D

EasternGirl
02-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Lol....I told Julian about it. Being a nine-year-old boy, he really got a kick out of that! Btw...I got your message. My computer keeps kicking skype off. Things are kind of hectic around the house right now...dinner time and all...will try to get it working later tonight and call you...if not, will definitely call over the weekend :).

EasternGirl
02-03-2012, 10:28 PM
My dog is such a dork. Some nights, he goes to the glass doors in our kitchen and sees his reflection in the doors and decides that a dog is outside coming to attack him...then he decides that "the dog" is in the house...and he runs all over our house barking and freaking out looking for "the dog". We say..."Oh no...is that dog here again?"...and he runs all over the place scared with his ears pinned back, freaking out...looking everywhere for "the dog"...rofl...

He also catches his tail sometimes. You know how dogs chase their tails? My dog catches his and then runs through the house with his tail in his mouth so that his butt is up to his ears...it's the funniest thing you've ever seen...and it would totally win me 100 grand on America's Funniest Home Videos....but I never know when he's going to do it, so I can't get the video camera ready in time to catch him doing it.

PINJOHN
02-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Imagine what I did. I was the "embarrassed parent" at first. Then all I could do was laugh.
loved this story,.... your answer reminded me of the north Korean couple who were in bed when the husband let rip a real rappel'er his wife was disgusted and protested about his uncouth behavior..it was the dog he pleaded...his wife was livid, don't you dare blame the dog she screamed.............i cooked it perfectly.:D

guidofatherof5
02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I didn't see that one coming. Very nice John.

tress29
02-04-2012, 11:44 AM
We decided to take the plunge and adopt some ferrets. We adopted two girls, then a week later, found them a big brother.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/fng.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/rufus.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/trio-1.jpg

They aren't all in one cage yet but are getting some supervised playtime in the playpen I got. Houdini likes to be the playground monitor!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/houdini.jpg

And who knew that playpens could still be fun for 12 year olds?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/tress29/playpen.jpg

guidofatherof5
02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Those are some funny looking ferrets in that last photo.:D

EasternGirl
02-04-2012, 12:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing...very large ferrets indeed!

mikem
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
love the ferrets! have they been spayed and neutered?

ConcinusMan
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM

If only my dogs would be so kind as to let it rip. But no... No warning. It's silent, and sneaky, then all the sudden people are running from the room gagging.:rolleyes:

Hey, I didn't know ferrets wear glasses.:p

EasternGirl
02-04-2012, 03:45 PM
My dog has done that a couple of times to me recently...my son too...lol.

mikem
02-05-2012, 10:51 PM
my female kukulcania hibernalis. i've had her for about a year now.

she came with an egg sac, but unfortunately only 4 babies hatched and only 1 survived. lots of yellow, infertile eggs were in the sac. here's a pic of the lone survivor.

if anyone have these located in their neck of the woods and can catch them, pm me, i'd like to get a few more!

guidofatherof5
02-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I must say, awesome. Love those spiders.

EasternGirl
02-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Again...elcccckkk! How can you hold that...is it crawling on me? Now it's crawling on me...thanks.

mikem
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
thanks steve! they are pretty awesome. i love their coloring! very secretive little things.

oh come on marnie, it's just a little spider! haha :p

and speaking of crawling... when she's walking on you, you literally feel each and every single leg come down and make contact with your skin. her moves are very deliberate calculated. it's like you can feel her thinking about where she's gonna go next... kinda hard to explain, just something you would have to experience yourself.

EasternGirl
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Umm..I hope that is not something I ever have to experience. One time, when I was in my late teens...I was in my bathrobe after a shower, sitting in my family room. My entire family was in there...and since I had just gotten out of the shower, I had nothing on under the robe. A very large spider...that looked a lot like the one in your pic...crawled up my robe. I freaked out and threw the robe off and started running around naked screaming....then realized I was naked in front of my father...screamed some more...and ran out of the room! My family, of course, thought it was hysterical...

mikem
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
:D great story, rofl! i bet they didn't let you live that one down for a while! :D

you're just going to have to work your way up to our eight legged friends. here, lets start with this little fella...

EasternGirl
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Is that a hissing cockroach? I had to hold one of those at the Ag Fair here at University of DE last year. The girl plopped one in my hand and was like "You don't want your son to see you scared now do you?" Nice...very nice manipulation of the mom there, lady.

Sorry to change the subject...but, I bought my son a guinea pig tonight...so the zoo gets bigger. He has been wanting a pet of his own...and I have my snakes and he gets upset because the dog is so attached to me...so I decided to get him a pet of his own...He's wanted a guinea pig. He named her Spike. I thought that was a very cool name for a girl. She's very little and brown..I have never liked guinea pigs but I have to admit, she is growing on me...she's pretty darn cute. She is terrified right now of course. My son has to take care of her, though, or I give her to someone who will take care of her...that is the deal. I'll post a pic at some point.

katach
02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
If only my dogs would be so kind as to let it rip. But no... No warning. It's silent, and sneaky, then all the sudden people are running from the room gagging.:rolleyes:

Hey, I didn't know ferrets wear glasses.:p

We had a dog growing up that we called fartblossom. THAT dog could clear a house! :D

EasternGirl
02-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Literally LOL on that one Kat...must go tell my son about the dog's name!

katach
02-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Well his real name was Mickey, but as he got older he got gassier and he was lovingly called fartblossom sometimes. :)

tress29
02-07-2012, 07:34 AM
love the ferrets! have they been spayed and neutered?Oh yes, we don't do babies at our house anymore! Over the years we've had puppies, kittens, gerbils and fish. The canaries laid eggs, but they never hatched.

EasternGirl
02-07-2012, 08:19 AM
We will not be doing human babies at our house anymore...which is why we keep getting more animals...the animals are my babies now. Does anyone know where I can find a good guinea pig caresheet btw?

tress29
02-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a good guinea pig caresheet btw?This is the forum we joined when we had guinea pigs.
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://guineapigcages.com/)

kimbosaur
02-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Marnie, if you can, I'd get another female. They seem to be happier with company, especially when young. :)

I had one growing up and when I look back, my biggest regret would be that she didn't have company.

EasternGirl
02-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Tress...I knew I could count on you for the caresheet! :). Kimberly, you know...I keep worrying that she is lonely...but this is how I keep ending up with too many animals! Everyone needs a mate. I'll think about it...she spends a lot of time out of her cage with my son holding her. But I will seriously think about it because I do want her to be happy and healthy :).

mikem
02-07-2012, 12:56 PM
i like the sounds guinea pigs make!

tress29
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM
They seem to be happier with company, especially when young.We had two males, way back when... I loved their wheek sounds too. They quickly learn what it sounds like when the refridgerator opens!

kimbosaur
02-07-2012, 02:06 PM
And the shuffling of plastic bags that hold leafy goodies!

EasternGirl
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
That's funny because we were just talking about how cute her little sounds are...of course all she does is eat and poop. But she does really like to snuggle and she was nibbling on a baby carrot my son gave her and making her little gurgly sounds.

Mommy2many
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I love the guinea pigs and their cute sounds and squeals. They do learn rather quickly what the fridge sounds like and when you are making a salad!

guidofatherof5
02-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Tank(Chelydra serpentina-Common snapping turtle) spent the morning at school. He visted 2 classrooms and made many friends. Some of the students remember seeing him last year and commented on how big he has gotten.
Tank's behavior was perfect.(I expected nothing less) Many times he just sat and looked at the kids while they touched him.
I also gave plenty of disclaimers about how this isn't normal behavior for most snapping turtles.

EasternGirl
02-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Good old tank!

tress29
02-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Uh oh! I fed Sweets last Friday night, saw some shed in his tub on Sunday. This morning, I noticed his lid was ajar. I dug around in his bedding this am, but didn't have time to completely empty it. I think my little hognose has made a run for it!

I don't know how far he thinks he'll get with 2 dogs, a cat and some ferrets running around. My house IS a junk pile since my ex won't come get the rest of his stuff. I think I'm cleaning/sorting/rearranging this weekend to try and find the little bugger.

guidofatherof5
02-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Best of luck finding the wayward one.

snakehill
02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Good luck! I have two snakes that are currently MIA! ( My anery corn and my eastern) :o

mikem
02-10-2012, 10:10 AM
good luck finding your snake/s! i think i'd go insane if mine escaped!

tress29
02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
My initial response was Huh? I will look more closely in my BR and inform the twins to keep an eye out. He's gone without eating for 4 months before, hopefully we can find him before something bad happens!

mikem
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
something about that four month mark. one of my hogs went off feed for 4 months. i offered her food weekly, then bi-weekly. eventually she shed and started eating again.

you could try cooling your overall house temp just a little bit and setting up a heat source, fuzzy mouse and a couple hides near by. bait and trap him. if he's still alive in the house, it may be worth a shot if he doesn't show up in a week or two. and of course, keep us updated!

tress29
02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
My thermostat is set at 69*, the cat will any mice he finds (who do you think has been cleaning up when Sweets won't eat?) I think he'd bogart the heat pad too! Maybe I can set something up in my room/closet, that's where he escaped from...

EasternGirl
02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
I would freak out if one of my snakes escaped too! Will any of the other animals hurt him? Mike's idea was a good one...I was reading in one of my snake books about making a snake trap out of a warm pile of towels...they like to go to the warm towels and burrow...if you can keep the cat away. Maybe put some towels in the dryer and make a pile and put them in your closet. Good luck and keep us posted please!

Snakehill...like the custom title!

tress29
02-12-2012, 12:36 AM
Earlier tonight, Eli was barking in my room. When I realized that Lucy wasn't with him, I wondered if he was barking at Sweets. I looked under the bed, but didn't see anything. I just got online (1:25 am) and Lucy got up from the end of the bed. As I wondered what she was doing, I looked over at the rolls of carpet propped up in the corner of my room. There was one cold little snake sitting on top! He must have crawled up the inside of the carpet like a tunnel. He's safely back in his tub, with the lid clicked all the way on, and my big study Bible on top! I wasn't panicky about finding him, but I'm very relieved he's been found. I just looked over, he's in the water again, for the third time.

BUSHSNAKE
02-12-2012, 07:27 AM
im glad you found him!

guidofatherof5
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
The prodigal snake has returned.
Time to kill the fatted pinky.:D

EasternGirl
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
You know it's funny...many people would be terrified if they looked over and saw a snake sitting in their bedroom. Not us... It's either a typical day...or we are very happy that we found a missing snake! So glad you found him! Give that snake a treat!

mikem
02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
glad you found him!

guidofatherof5
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
I've always said Tank (Chelydra serpentina-Common Snapping Turtle) had dog-like qualities and tonight I saw a sure sign of it.
While in his water I saw a piece of dead skin hanging off his front leg joint area.
I keep a toothbrush handy for times like this and for everyday skin cleaning.
I grabbed the brush and started brushing the area. In classic dog form he started kicking his back leg.
Every time I brushed the area he kicked his leg.
Reminds me of my old dog Alex(R.I.P.) when I scratched a sweet spot on her.
Very funny to see a snapping turtle do this. :D

EasternGirl
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Lol...he needs a collar and a tag that says "Tank". :D

mikem
02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
that would have been an awesome sight to see! (on your youtube channel *hint*hint*) ;)

EasternGirl
02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
My chihuahua ate a brussel sprout.

aquamentus_11
02-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I've always said Tank (Chelydra serpentina-Common Snapping Turtle) had dog-like qualities and tonight I saw a sure sign of it.
While in his water I saw a piece of dead skin hanging off his front leg joint area.
I keep a toothbrush handy for times like this and for everyday skin cleaning.
I grabbed the brush and started brushing the area. In classic dog form he started kicking his back leg.
Every time I brushed the area he kicked his leg.
Reminds me of my old dog Alex(R.I.P.) when I scratched a sweet spot on her.
Very funny to see a snapping turtle do this. :D

that is awesome. had a baby snapper (Jaws) as a kid. he never ate for me and died very quickly.... good to see that someone knows how to do it properly. i did keep a firebelly newt (Flame) alive for 13 years though. He was incredible. I mean this was a newt that I would take out into the ditches during rainstorms and play with with my dinosaurs in the COLD water. He escaped many many times and was always found (sometimes days later) walking across the middle of rooms covered in dust and lint. Keep in mind we had 2 cats: he was a commando. I stopped cleaning his cage at about year 6 and just made sure to keep his water clean. He lived in a skull overgrown with algae, ate like crazy and attacked his pellets ferociously. He died when I went away to college. as an adult, I asked my mom if she pulled the classic mom move and just replaced him every 2 years, but she said amazingly no. He was a paragon of newtdom. I've thought about getting another, but I have very high expectations.

EasternGirl
02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I think my chihuahua is in love with the guinea pig. It's very disturbing.

guidofatherof5
02-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Please, no photos. The thought of it is bad enough. :D

EasternGirl
02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Lol...I don't actually let them near each other. Oh I don't even want to think about that! My dog just whines all the time and wants me to hold him up so that he can stare into the guinea pig's cage and cry at him...and sniff at him...and occasionally the guinea pig looks up and sniffs at him and my dog goes nuts like it's the best thing that's ever happened to him. Goofy little dog.

tress29
02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
A friend of mine sit on the bed with her pig and her poodle mix. They'd share bites of carrot. The pig would groom the dog, and the dog would whine if she got too close to the edge!

PINJOHN
02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
A friend of mine sit on the bed with her pig and her poodle mix. They'd share bites of carrot. The pig would groom the dog, and the dog would whine if she got too close to the edge!

​my psychiatrist tells me after discussing it with his colleagues that there's enough material here for an entire conference....:eek:

EasternGirl
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm going to end up with another darn guinea pig. That little pig is breaking my heart because she is so young and she keeps cuddling up under my arm in my sweater and making these little noises and she doesn't want me to put her down...I think she's lonely. I put a sweater in her cage tonight and she is finally sleeping all nestled up inside of it. So now I'm probably going to go get another dang guinea pig so she won't be lonely. That's twice the poo to clean. And I think that offically qualifies me as a zoo.

guidofatherof5
02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
If the sweater is working why buy another one (guinea pig)?

EasternGirl
02-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Well, I don't think she's necessarily satisfied with the sweater. I think it's more like a pacifier in place of a bottle. She was acting like she found her long lost mama pig with me tonight when she was snuggled up with me. People have told me and I have been reading that guinea pigs tend to do better with cagemates...and I'm thinking that she is too young to be alone. Knowing how most pet stores are...she was probably weened from her mother too young, but she was with all of her siblings before we bought her.