PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Garter Snakes

rtcphoto
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
I've been reading that Wandering Garters are best not housed together.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I'm getting two approximatley the same size and need to know if I should just get one.
Thank you,
Bob

Gijs & Sabine
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi Bob,
I've read something like that as well, but I doubt it. Maybe there are some elegans-species who's got this behavior, but I don't think it's typicaly for all wandering garters.
We've got 2.1 elegans terestris together with no problems at all. They're really friendly to one another.
But it's always good to keep your eyes open, aspecialy when you feed them.

Sabine

Thamnophis
11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I know that they are sometimes canibalistoc. At least, I'v read that somewhere.
I cannot check fromhere where this was. When I find it, I will post it.

Stefan-A
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I've read that, too. T. elegans and T. radix are allegedly prone to cannibalism, but this is of course something I cannot verify.

ssssnakeluvr
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I have been keeping wandering garters since 1980....I have seen cannibalism happen, but extremely rarely. I recently had and adult male eat a baby, and a wandering I had in high school may have eaten a valley garter I put in with her (the valley garter was half the size of the wandering and he disappeared and we never found him). I have housed many wandering together and have had no problems. It's common to find several under a rock or board inthe wild. Do be careful at feeding time....they can fight over food and accidently eat one....

Thamnophis
11-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I bred Nerodia fasciata for some years and once it happend that the two adult males aten some of the juveniles after their birth. Eventhough I would not call them canibalistic.