PDA

View Full Version : diet vs. growth rate

z10silver
08-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Hello, my name is Zach Cava and I am a Junior Biology major at Ithaca College. I am interested in doing research involving how diet affects growth rate in eastern garter snakes. Does anyone know if something like this has been done before? For the study I will need lots of baby garters so please e-mail me at z10silver@yahoo.com if you have any available.

Thank you
Zach

zooplan
09-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Hello Zach,

Martin Hallmen has done some of those studies a few years ago but had only small groups of baby garters.
You may find an article on his webside

Homepage von Martin Hallmen (http://www.martinhallmen.de)

stonyloam
09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Just to let you all know, Zach got all of my babies from my "Big Eastern" for his study. Looking froward to seeing the results.

zooplan
09-16-2007, 09:53 AM
then you are a helping hand to science...
like IGOR to Dr. Frankenstein:D
What time is planed for the study?
I remember there is a study about growing to maturity of parietalis by Dr. Sassenburg (1983) maybe there is further informations avaliable.

enigma200316
09-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Just to let you all know, Zach got all of my babies from my "Big Eastern" for his study. Looking froward to seeing the results.

your such a great sport Terry, thanks for helping out with the answers we all want to have..........:)

Snaky
09-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Welcome Zach, please keep us informed of your results, it can be quite interesting.

Odie
09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Zach :)

Stefan-A
09-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Welcome aboard, Zach. :)

z10silver
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Just wanted to keep you guys posted on how things are going. The were split up into 3 groups, one on a worm diet, one on a minnow diet, and one alternating diet. I have been feeding them every 3rd day as well as taking weight and length measurements frequently. They have all eaten about 5 times now.. It's still too soon to evaluate the data but I can say that the snakes on the worm diet have been eating more than those fed fish.

-Zach

zooplan
09-19-2007, 04:29 AM
all 3 groups will have the same growth rate;)
how many specimen are in one group?
how much time do you will let the study go?

KITKAT
09-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to keep you guys posted on how things are going. The were split up into 3 groups, one on a worm diet, one on a minnow diet, and one alternating diet. I have been feeding them every 3rd day as well as taking weight and length measurements frequently. They have all eaten about 5 times now.. It's still too soon to evaluate the data but I can say that the snakes on the worm diet have been eating more than those fed fish.

-Zach

Fascinating and excellent idea! Keep us posted on results.