PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

Kattywampus
08-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Hello!
My friends call me Katty. ^^
I'm a newbie to this whole garter thing. I started off with ball pythons. I got one when I lived in Arizona last year. Now, I've got four! I'm fascinated by these snakes, and want more. So one day, I wondered if there were any snakes that came in blue. I looked everywhere, and found a guy selling a gravid Puget Sound Garter on kingsnake.com. I bought her back in May, and fell in love with garters again. Now I got young'ins that I don't want to sell! (They're too cute)
I don't know anyone in my state that keeps garters (except for someone I met on this forum). I'm glad to find a forum like this one that's so crazy about them. Hopefully, I'll learn enough. I want to make sure I do everything right for my new family members. They're so fascinating!

Stefan-A
08-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Welcome aboard, Dani. :D Congratulations, by the way. :)

Josh
08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
welcome to the forum.

Elliot
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Congrats, you'll find everything you could possibly need here!

Thamnophis
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Welcome here, Kattywampus :D

enigma200316
08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Congrats Katty and welcome to the forum.........:D

adamanteus
08-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi Katty, and welcome to the forum (again):rolleyes: . Congrats on the new babies, I don't blame you for not wanting to sell them!

enigma200316
08-16-2007, 06:06 PM
we want pics,we want pics, we want oh sorry.......:D

Odie
08-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Kattywampus :)

GarterGuy
08-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Howdy and welcome to the forum Katty! Hmmmm.....Pugets from someone on kingsnake....wouldn't happen to be Bob would it??? You might want to do some scale counting. A few of the "Pugets" that's he's sold are actually blue phase T.ordinoides. Not that it really matters, they're both beautiful snakes, but if you wanted to get you new girl a boy friend some day, you might want to know what species you've got. Also if you haven't yet, I'd get stools done on you new mama, many of the snakes from "Bob" have been heavily parasitized and will need to be treated. Sorry to be devil's advocate, but someones got to do it.:cool:

Roy

Stefan-A
08-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Roy, I don't think you're being the devil's advocate right now. ;)

Lulu Bennett
08-17-2007, 05:03 AM
welcome to the forum sweety good to have you here.

enigma200316
08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I gree with Stefan, Roy just doing your good natured duty to the members of this forum.....:)

Stefan-A
08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Not what I meant, Justin. A "devil's advocate" is someone who for example defends a position that nobody would usually take. Bringing bad news is something else. :)

Kattywampus
08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum Katty! Hmmmm.....Pugets from someone on kingsnake....wouldn't happen to be Bob would it??? You might want to do some scale counting. A few of the "Pugets" that's he's sold are actually blue phase T.ordinoides. Not that it really matters, they're both beautiful snakes, but if you wanted to get you new girl a boy friend some day, you might want to know what species you've got. Also if you haven't yet, I'd get stools done on you new mama, many of the snakes from "Bob" have been heavily parasitized and will need to be treated. Sorry to be devil's advocate, but someones got to do it.:cool:

Roy

Awwwwwww, $%#@...this explains some things.

Thanks, Roy! And thanks to the welcome wagon. ^^;

Edit: I compared pics on this page: Thamnophis ordinoides - Northwestern Gartersnake (http://www.californiaherps.com/noncal/northwest/nwsnakes/pages/t.ordinoides.html)
(There's a link to the PSG's on that page) I definitely have pickeringii. I'll have pics up sometime soonish, though.

GarterGuy
08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Awwwwwww, $%#@...this explains some things.

Thanks, Roy! And thanks to the welcome wagon. ^^;

Edit: I compared pics on this page: Thamnophis ordinoides - Northwestern Gartersnake (http://www.californiaherps.com/noncal/northwest/nwsnakes/pages/t.ordinoides.html)
(There's a link to the PSG's on that page) I definitely have pickeringii. I'll have pics up sometime soonish, though.

Actually pics won't exactly tell the tale, blue T.s.pickeringi and blue T.ordinoides "look" almost exactly alike. It's the scale counts that really seperate them. T.s.pickeringi will have a scale count of 19 and T.ordinoides will have 17.

enigma200316
08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks Stefan, can count on ya to be there to always set me straight..:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
08-18-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks Stefan, can count on ya to be there to always set me straight..:rolleyes:
Sorry, I know it annoys people, but it's just something I do. :D

enigma200316
08-18-2007, 06:56 AM
no, Stefan I really mean that, I don't consider myself to be the brightest bulb in the pack!!!! hey James we have another thing in common......:D

Sid
08-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Welcome from South Carolina.

Kattywampus
08-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Well, I used a guide posted by Adamanteus a while back (to make sure I was counting the right thing..hehehe), and I've got 19. Woot.

GarterGuy
08-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Cool good to hear that. I'm still waiting for one of my little ones to shed so I can do some counting myself....no way I can do it on a squirmy little snake....LOL.:D

Roy

adamanteus
08-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, I used a guide posted by Adamanteus a while back (to make sure I was counting the right thing..hehehe), and I've got 19. Woot.

Glad to hear it was of use to you! Seems that you do have T. s. pickeringii then!