PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

bigdaddydan74
10-28-2006, 07:52 PM
is a 75 watt blacklite to much?

ssssnakeluvr
10-28-2006, 08:00 PM
garters don't need lighting...they are some of the most cold tolerant snakes out there. They don't need the UVB bulbs either. If the snake is just kept as a pet, generally room temps do fine. I am a breeder, and keep my critter room around 75 to 80 degrees.

bigdaddydan74
10-28-2006, 08:03 PM
i was told that it eas needed for heat . i have it over a flat rock at one end. it barely gives off any light at all. what do you think?

bigdaddydan74
10-28-2006, 08:03 PM
was needed for heat

ssssnakeluvr
10-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I raised garters for years as a kid, never had any special heat or lights. I got my first garters in 1980....we had no such thing as a pet store in town (town of 980). My snakes did just fine, lived for many years, in fact, one was an adult when I caught her, and I had her for another 8 years after that. Soome people prefer heat for them, however I jsut keep my critter room warm and they do fine.

bigdaddydan74
10-28-2006, 08:12 PM
thank for the advice!!!

ssssnakeluvr
10-28-2006, 08:18 PM
you're welcome!!

Cazador
10-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Realize that additional heat will speed up their metabolic rates, which will increase activity levels. If your snake is on display in a nice large enclosure, you might want to add the heat to increase activity levels, but if you have it in a small, out-of-the-way enclosure you can reduce activity levels and food consumption/defecation by lowering the temperature. A lot of this has to do with your personal preference.
If you're truely using a "black light" (the kind that make white clothes glow) you might want to reconsider because prolonged exposure to black lights can damage retinas. Exo Terra makes an infrared heat lamp (red light) that provides heat without affecting photoperiod. Fluker makes a "repta sun" red light bulb that also puts out heat without affecting photoperiod. If you choose to use supplemental heat, be cautious of Exo Terra's ceramic bulbs because they can melt ordinary light domes. Not coincidentally, Exo Terra makes special, thicker heat domes that won't melt with their ceramic bulbs.

As ssssnakeluvr said, they're not necessary... just a matter of personal choice.

Thamnophis
10-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Just use a lamp like this: such as you use in your house.

Reflector spot lamp

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_2/LAR6340ES.JPG

Cazador
10-29-2006, 02:08 PM
I think bigdaddydan is using it for light AND heat, so turning it off at night might depend on how cold his house gets, unless he leaves it on for 24 hours, which some people do... just not my personal style.

Thamnophis
10-29-2006, 04:35 PM
When it gets to cold at night you can better use a heathing mat like on the picture.
That's more natural for the snakes.During nights heath does not come from above, but from underneath (rocks and so that are heathed by the sun during the day).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~reptilia/Images/48.231.jpg

Cazador
10-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Interesting. I guess heat rocks/tape are a bit less popular here because many people, particularly those just investing in new terraria, don't purchase thermostats and end up frying their snakes. Perhaps that's because a lot of Americans start out with garter snakes since they're less expensive and easier to acquire? At any rate, I'm sure you'll agree that people at different stages of herpetoculture are often better suited to use different techniques according to their needs and experience.

Yet, I can't think of any reason that "where" the heat comes from would be an issue. It naturally comes from above during the day and could come from any direction at night. Consider a snake tucked into or under a rotting log or vegetation that produces heat from its own decay (bacterial action) at night. Ultimately, it's their overall body temperature that affects their metabolism, not whether the heat is generated from above, below, or from ambient temp. Kind regards,
Rick

Thamnophis
10-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Where the heat comes from is not that important, I agree. But when you place a heathing mat under the terrarium, you have to dim it. Works fine.
Garters need to cool down at night and with a lamp there is a risk that it can stay to warm. So you would have to dim this to.

http://static.marktplaza.nl/images/1/Stekker-dimmer-799169.jpg

Cazador
10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
This is good advice since even low wattage (50 watt) heat lamps can generate too much heat. I wish I could somehow automatically reduce the heat at night without actually shutting the heat off. I have timers set up on their lighting, but don't know how to "dim" the heaters. Right now, I just have one side heated in order to create a gradient. The snakes just choose what temperature they prefer during the night or day. Any suggestions? Regards,
Rick

ssssnakeluvr
10-30-2006, 08:01 PM
I prefer not leaving lights on them at night....they need their day and night cycles like everything else.

abcat1993
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree, not only for the snake, but for me. Since I sleep in the same room as my pets that would get VERY annoying leaving it on, although, my snake is in the part of my dresser that my TV was in because of the dog being "interested" in it (killing it, my other pets, and small animals are Jack Russell instinct).

Cazador
10-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry. I have the lights on an automatic timer that turns them off at night. I was wondering how to automatically reduce the heat without turning it off to create better night/day cycles.