PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

Zarah H
09-17-2019, 12:43 PM
I have 4 baby Garter snakes, 2 or them aren't eating ((Non of them are in blue, or shedding.)) What are some reasons for 1-2 month old garter snakes not eating?

MNGuy
09-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Sorry you're having difficulty. I don't have the answer, but wanted to reply to get this thread back on the new posts roster so more people will see it. Good luck!

Zarah H
09-18-2019, 08:04 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your concern!

guidofatherof5
09-21-2019, 08:14 AM
We need more info on setups and temps. What are you trying to feed them?

Faunaofthenorth
09-22-2019, 08:54 AM
Try tuna oil... and if you feed them anything with a skull, pierce the skull to expose the cerebral fluid and mix that with tuna oil... this knowledge comes from an experienced hognose breeder who discovered that the combination of tuna oil and cerebral fluid triggers an increased feeding response... it was how I got my stubborn hognose, garters and my half albino redbelly snake to eat... redbellies don’t even eat fish but it immediately started hunting when exposed to the above... also, make sure temps are in the mid to upper spectrum so about 75-80 degrees and make sure you have a UVB light as that also stimulates propper feeding response as well... try guppies and earthworms together

Zarah H
09-22-2019, 01:48 PM
I got 2 more from our neighbors... Thank-you very much, The temps are in the mid to high 70's F We ordered a heat-mat, and UVB Basking bulbs, We've been feeding them baby/full grown earthworms ((cut into inch-ish sized pieces)) They're in a 10 gal right now, but sense there are 6 of them, When they get bigger, We're putting them in a 50-55 gal tank ((possibly a terrarium))

Faunaofthenorth
09-28-2019, 11:19 AM
I would always recommend a terrarium... with reptisoil, cypress shavings or moss or all on top with lots of hides and fake or live plants... with a few rocks for basking and sticks to climb