PDA

View Full Version : mixing garters

loxocemus
08-14-2007, 07:23 AM
hi

whats everybodys thoughts of mixing species/subsp in the same viv, i had the idea of a large viv, with maybe a pair of melanistic eastern, a pair of chequereds (1 amel, 1 normal) and a pair of flames.

any problems with the above idea. i should also point out that none of these animals will be bred, to thier respective partners or each other.

rgds

edward

CrazyHedgehog
08-14-2007, 07:30 AM
In a comunity tank like this, you don't always get to 'choose' who breeds with who!

Josh
08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
what size tank?

hjelte
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a Parietalis male with a female Radix and they get along perfect. I will separate them though within a couple of months to avoid unwanted pregnancy....but to answer your question; Yes I find that if you have subspecies with the same kind of requirements they seem to get along just fine.

loxocemus
08-14-2007, 01:45 PM
re tank size, i was thinking a 4ft peninne, they wouldnt be exposed to a cool period of any sort (thier in the same room as my boids) would they still produce young with no cooling period?

but no snake eating traits in the sp/mut i mentioned?

Rgds

Edward

Stefan-A
08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
re tank size, i was thinking a 4ft peninne, they wouldnt be exposed to a cool period of any sort (thier in the same room as my boids) would they still produce young with no cooling period?

Chances are that they will.

CrazyHedgehog
08-14-2007, 03:07 PM
My florida blues have just produced 26 babies... no brumation, no cooling period.. just a male in there with them...

Ameivaboy
08-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Right now I have my baby pugets with my baby red spots to give me more room on my rack for other stuff that's hatching/ coming in. I wouldnt really suggest it, unless it's temporary, and really I wouldnt do it with an established animal and an unestablished one, just my 2 cents

Sputnik
08-14-2007, 04:08 PM
My babies are sharing, too. I have 2 concinnus, 2 tetrataenia and one common. It works well for the moment but I will separate them come October/ November.

adamanteus
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Edward. I think everyone else is right, if you keep adults of different species together they will most likely inter-breed. You're fine with babies though.

hjelte
08-15-2007, 01:25 AM
I´ve read that the southern species like the Florida ones are more prone to mate without brumation than say something like a Parietalis. It seems that if the species originate from a colder area, they are more dependent on brumation. That being said, of course there are exceptions.

Sputnik
08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Apart from when you might want to breed, you could possibly keep them separated by gender. Unless someone here might know of a reason not to?

loxocemus
08-15-2007, 08:34 AM
hi

i was thinking the same rather than risking interbreeding i could seperate the sexes.

Edward

Gijs & Sabine
08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
We've seen a lot of breeders now that also seperate the sexes. They have groups of different (sub)species females and groups of different males. That way you have a total control wich ones you want to breed, of course that's not an quarantee for babies ;)
It's no problem to keep different species together, it's actually very nice to see different colors together.
We want to keep our garters also that way next year.

drache
08-15-2007, 07:35 PM
I separate my garters by gender and keep them in small groups (2-4)
it seems to work really well