PDA

View Full Version : Waiting is the hardest part...for a new Garter

Snakemom
07-06-2019, 02:55 PM
I am waiting for my new Puget Sound garter to be born - after much consideration and hoping I made contact with a breeder who is expecting his female to produce her young any day. I love his stock and they are bright blue, which I was hoping for.

I have the set up ready with a humidity box, hides, a branch for climbing, lights and heat mat, thermometers and hygrometers, a secure lid... kind of like a nursery waiting for the baby to arrive.

Soon, I can be a garter parent, too. Right now I have my three Pueblans to keep me busy - Tiffany, Milton and Sonora.

guidofatherof5
07-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Don't overfeed your new Tham. Small meals are safest. Some neonates can die from overfeeding. Just a word to the wise.

Snakemom
07-11-2019, 04:49 AM
Don't overfeed your new Tham. Small meals are safest. Some neonates can die from overfeeding. Just a word to the wise.

She is so tiny there is not much room to overfeed her. :)

I chose a small earthworm (Not the red wiggler kind) and cut it up and she ate two small pieces before slithering off on her merry way. There was more worm but I gave her just enough, just what she needed.

Many thanks for the advice - it really helps.

Snakemom
07-14-2019, 06:18 PM
I got to watch Alexa eat her pieces of earthworm tonight. She came out of hiding, peeking around corners - baby garters have the cutest faces. She did a loop around the enclosure and came in for dinner. She grabbed them and swallowed them, taking her time, and did the equivalent of smacking her lips. She was contemplating a third piece and my DH walked into the room and she slipped out of sight.

guidofatherof5
07-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Good news.

Snakemom
07-21-2019, 07:05 AM
Good news.

Alexa is so much fun to watch... especially at feeding time. She will peek out from different places, her tongue starts going and then she makes a beeline to her food "plate". She watches her earthworm pieces and pinky pieces and will then swoop in for a meal. After eating she will hang out for a bit and then slithers back to a hiding place. Baby garters are so much fun!

guidofatherof5
07-21-2019, 09:50 PM
Alexa is so much fun to watch... especially at feeding time. She will peek out from different places, her tongue starts going and then she makes a beeline to her food "plate". She watches her earthworm pieces and pinky pieces and will then swoop in for a meal. After eating she will hang out for a bit and then slithers back to a hiding place. Baby garters are so much fun!

They are little scrubs and always fun to watch. Neonates eat with such ferocity.

Snakemom
07-22-2019, 03:44 PM
They are little scrubs and always fun to watch. Neonates eat with such ferocity.

I know! I finally got a picture of Alexa - she is always on the move.