PDA

View Full Version : Identifying worms

jjjoachim
12-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Hi!

Just got my first garter snake last week. T. sirtalis parietalis. He's a healthy, handsome guy, if a bit skittish still, and I absolutely adore him. So far I've tried feeding him salmon, but with no luck. He shows a bit of a feeding response, but then backs off. I have these worms that I purchased several months ago that I've been meaning to feed him, but I'm unable to identify them to know if they are safe or not. They're alive and well in a container in my fridge. They were bought at a reptile show, I've asked the seller but haven't received any answers.

Would any of you have any idea if these are safe or not?

Thanks a lot!

guidofatherof5
12-21-2018, 03:22 PM
Those look like redworms/compost worms. If so, don't use these. They produce a defensive chemical(fluid) that is toxic. What does the package call them? You need Canadian Nightcrawlers.

jjjoachim
12-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Those look like redworms/compost worms. If so, don't use these. They produce a defensive chemical(fluid) that is toxic. What does the package call them? You need Canadian Nightcrawlers.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking the same thing. The package said nothing, and again, neither does the seller. I'm not gonna feed him these, I'll try and find some other ones that I know for sure are safe.