PDA

View Full Version : Garter bite

GarterGuy
08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Well since there were some other threads on this topic, thought I'd share my latest experiance. Yesterday my little female T.s.concinnus thought that my arm looked like something she could eat....thus I got bit. First time she's actually drawn blood on me....they grow up so fast..."sniff". Anyways, she's only about 18in. and honestly I've had paper cuts that hurt worse, but thought I'd put it out there for those who haven't gotten their first bite yet. Oh yes, and I did not jerk when she bit me (why there's only little pin holes) and actually I had to kind of wiggle her off of me (once she gets a hold of food!)...LOL.:eek:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//517/medium/Petra_bite.jpg

Roy

Stefan-A
08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I have to ask you, does it itch afterwards?

GarterGuy
08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
I have to ask you, does it itch afterwards?

Yeh, it did for a little bit. I actually washed it off right away (after the picture of course....LOL), think sometimes people can have reactions to the saliva. By the end of the day, didn't even feel anything at all.

Stefan-A
08-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Right, I mentioned this in the earlier thread. :) I felt itching once, but I believed the snake (32" female) had just hit me with its mouth closed since I didn't feel a bite and it left no marks, so I thought it was all just my imagination. Started itching a few minutes afterwards and itched for maybe half an hour or an hour. Had I registered it as a bite, I would have tried to "document" the experience. :D

Snaky
08-09-2007, 03:35 AM
The stories I've heard of people having a reaction had their garters chewing on them for several minutes (usually around 10 or more). So I don't think you'll have a reaction:p
I've only been bitten once and I remember that I didn't even knew she was biting me untill I saw it:D

Stefan-A
08-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Yeah, but that's different. This was just a slight itch, less significant than that after a mosquito bite.

ScimitarX
08-09-2007, 04:19 AM
I generally get a bit of itching when my garters bite me, but again usually only for a short time, prob not longer than half an hour.

GarterGuy
08-09-2007, 10:22 AM
The stories I've heard of people having a reaction had their garters chewing on them for several minutes (usually around 10 or more). So I don't think you'll have a reaction:p
I've only been bitten once and I remember that I didn't even knew she was biting me untill I saw it:D

Ok I got to ask.....who in the heck would let their garter sit there and chew on them for 10 min. or more??!!???:eek: I can just see this now..."No, sorry can't come to the phone right now...my garter is chewing on my arm. Please leave your name and number at the beep." I've been bitten by LOTS of snakes and I can honestly say I've really never let one sit there and "chew" on me for longer then I can prevent. Does this seem odd to anyone else?????:confused:

Roy

Lulu Bennett
08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
pmsl roy just slightly :rolleyes:

chloe
08-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Just thought i would add my boa constrictor bite. It was my fault, she had just given birth and was very hungry and i fed her then went to put her back and she thought my hand was food. The bite didn't hurt that much it was when she crushed my knuckles that hurt.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//503/medium/Picture1_063.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
garter bites are a weekly occurrence here.....I have a couple that go after me every time I feed. I haven't had any itching tho...might be immune as many times as I have been bitten over the years...LOL!!! :eek:

GarterGuy
08-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Just thought i would add my boa constrictor bite. It was my fault, she had just given birth and was very hungry and i fed her then went to put her back and she thought my hand was food. The bite didn't hurt that much it was when she crushed my knuckles that hurt.

Ok...OUCH! Got bit by a very irrate 6ft. burmese once...that was a bloody mess. Also didn't really hurt that much, but boy did it bleed!

CrazyHedgehog
08-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Chloe showed me this just after asking if I would look after them for 6 weeks.. they were likely to give birth during tht time and I would have to deal with it...I accepted the challenge...and then she shows me this pic!!!!! eeeek:eek:

Snaky
08-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Ok I got to ask.....who in the heck would let their garter sit there and chew on them for 10 min. or more??!!???:eek: I can just see this now..."No, sorry can't come to the phone right now...my garter is chewing on my arm. Please leave your name and number at the beep." I've been bitten by LOTS of snakes and I can honestly say I've really never let one sit there and "chew" on me for longer then I can prevent. Does this seem odd to anyone else?????:confused:

Roy

They all claim that they gently tried to get the garter to let go, but it wouldn't. Instead it chewed even harder...

I haven't had that many bites yet, but this certainly was not the case with me. The snake stopped very quickly by itself even.

Elliot
08-10-2007, 04:57 PM
If one of my snakes bites me and won't let go, I just run water on its head out of the sink. Might not be the best thing to do, but it doesn't hurt them and they let go.:rolleyes:

adamanteus
08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
If one of my snakes bites me and won't let go, I just run water on its head out of the sink. Might not be the best thing to do, but it doesn't hurt them and they let go.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a plan to me, Elliot!;)

Snaky
08-11-2007, 09:49 AM
It's actually what they all claim to have tried... It did not work that well with them...:p
But it's probably what I'd do also.