PDA

View Full Version : Old Blue's First Litter

Taso
06-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Hey everyone! I haven't posted here in a while, I'm sorry about that.

I've had my blue axanthic female (Radix) since she was a babe in 2009. Didn't start breeding garters 'till about 2 years ago. She's had a couple boyfriends since then, but no luck on the babies.
About 2 weeks ago, I only just started wondering if she was gravid, or just in need of a diet.
Suddenly babies! 3 Live, 1 still, 1 slug.
I'm super happy about it! I felt like this wouldn't happen for her! I would have been glad all the same just to have her around as a pet, but now she's a breeder too.

I'm also a bit worried. Mom's totally fine, but two of the babes seem weak. I didn't see the birth, but the weakest one had already lost the end of its tail.

I understand the failure to thrive thing, dealt with it before.

I'm keeping myself ready to see all three fail. because in the back of my mind, I wonder if they were born premature or something.

Thankful that Akasha's alright. Merely hopeful for the scrubs. All my friends are asleep so I showed up to the forum. I had to tell somebody!

guidofatherof5
06-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Warm hydration is really important. Little ones can dry out very quickly. Keep us posted on the situation.

Albert Clark
06-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Congrats on the production T! It's always amazing to see reproduction at work in reptiles even though there is a small downside to it. Good luck with the babies and can't wait to see some pics.

Eddie
06-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Congrats on the babies!! Don't give up on them just yet. They might surprise you!

Pituophis1
06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Good luck with them!