PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for different types of garter to produce babies?

astraltressa
04-13-2017, 03:46 PM
For example can a checked garter mate with a common garter and produce offspring?

guidofatherof5
04-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Maybe, but why? Hybrids are mutts and have no value in the hobby. They can also taint genetic bloodlines. I don't mean to come off as harsh, I'm a purest and see no reason for hybrids.

astraltressa
04-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Maybe, but why? Hybrids are mutts and have no value in the hobby. They can also taint genetic bloodlines. I don't mean to come off as harsh, I'm a purest and see no reason for hybrids.

Im not a breeder, I was just curious if it was possible.

Zdravko092368
04-14-2017, 01:36 AM
Yes they can, I believe all Thamnophis can cross breed. I have a scotti/radix hybrid myself that was made accidentally by a friend.

The radix originates from Iowa and Scotti from Mexico, their genetics are pretty far apart as far as garters go and they crossed no problems.

Albert Clark
04-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Intergrades happen in the wild and is natural. Usually it's just a matter of close bordered geographical locations/ species and subspecies. To do it ( hybridization) in the terrarium with completely differing animals (garters) is really unnecessary and does muddy the true characteristics / taxonomy.