PDA

View Full Version : Snake coughing up blood?

Brittany26
03-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Has anyone ever had their snake have blood come out of their mouth? Just now I was holding him like I do every day and all of a sudden I had blood on my hands. I sat him down and he acted like nothing had happened, so I picked him back up so I could put him back into his cage and even more blood came out of his mouth. He's currently resting in his cage and he's acting fine.. Should I be worried? He is 10 years old which is pretty old, however, he eats very well, and is super active. Has clear eyes and acts like a young snake. I'm very worried and shocked. :(

guidofatherof5
03-29-2017, 02:13 PM
What was the last meal and when?

Brittany26
03-29-2017, 02:51 PM
I gave him a pinky maybe around 3 days ago, it was bigger one but not like it was too much for him. Hes on a pinky and worm diet

guidofatherof5
03-29-2017, 08:29 PM
If it happens again I would be concerned and schedule a Vet visit. I think for the next 2 weeks I'd do worms only and see what happens. I'm not a Vet and don't play one on T.V.
If you are concerned you can also see a Vet. ASAP.
What bedding are you using?

Brittany26
03-30-2017, 07:10 AM
This morning I found a small blood spot the size of a dime... And thank u for the advice I'll feed him worms only now. I was hoping someone on here has seen this happen before but maybe not :/ p.s and I use aspen bedding.

Albert Clark
03-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Wow, it sounds very serious! The only time i have seen anything like this was when i gave a injection to one if my animals (ball python). He was under a exotic vets care and i was instructed on how to administer the injections at home. Immediately after administering the injection bright red blood came oozing from his mouth and i knew that i had inadvertently pierced a vital organ. The snake did not survive. In your case, i absolutely would seek out a vet bc it may be the start if something that can be corrected if caught early. Look up the Centers for Avian and Exotics in your area as they are a network of accredited exotic pet veterinarians.

BLUESIRTALIS
03-30-2017, 10:13 AM
is It wild caught or captive bred?

Brittany26
03-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Just got home and no new blood spots, he looks normal. He's a captive bred checkered garter. Still very worried about him I will look into a vet this weekend but if anyone else has seen this before your input is appreciated

guidofatherof5
03-30-2017, 03:30 PM

Brittany26
03-30-2017, 06:56 PM

I said it up there but you must have missed it, I use aspen.

I got a hold of Centers for Avians and exotics (Thanks Albert) and they are only 55 minutes away. My mom doesn't want to drive me so one of my friends is. Not sure what the vet can do to help but it would make me feel better going.

guidofatherof5
03-31-2017, 05:27 AM
Sorry for missing your answer. Do you feed in the enclosure? Are these aspen shavings?

Albert Clark
03-31-2017, 09:06 AM
I said it up there but you must have missed it, I use aspen.

I got a hold of Centers for Avians and exotics (Thanks Albert) and they are only 55 minutes away. My mom doesn't want to drive me so one of my friends is. Not sure what the vet can do to help but it would make me feel better going. Well it's the safe thing to do and if necessary they can perform the required physical exam and any lab testing that may be necessary.

Brittany26
03-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Sorry for missing your answer. Do you feed in the enclosure? Are these aspen shavings?

I never feed him in his enclosure, I feed him pinkies on my kitchen table and if I'm feeding him worms its always in my backyard on the grass. I have bad news, the Center for avians isnt available until next week. I don't trust the other places that are close by so I guess I just have to wait. I found another spot of blood in his tank this morning bringing his total to 4 times since Wednesday. He's hiding behind the water bowl now

guidofatherof5
03-31-2017, 02:51 PM
Photos please of the blood how it was found. Thanks.

Brittany26
04-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Photos please of the blood how it was found. Thanks.

Update: I found a different vet this morning so I took him to an animal hospital which also treats small animals. (Steve, I took the blood from his cage with me so I can't show you a pic anymore.)
The vet took his weight, examined his body for a few minutes and looked at his heart rate which looked good. He took a look in his mouth and ruled out a mouth infection. He couldn't see anything wrong with him so the next step was the fecal flotation/ cloacal wash. He said there wasn't any big parasite eggs but he did see a slightly larger than normal amount of microorganism in the poop so he perscribed 1 dose of oral med called Metronidazole and another dose of it in 2 weeks.

Albert Clark
04-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Sounds like it's a plan. Kudos to you for getting him the professional help. I hope that is the end of the bleeding.

Brittany26
04-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Update: Steavy was doing fine after the vet visit with no blood incidents up until two days ago. Three more spots of blood showed up between the past couple days. He's been active and very hungry so I took him outside and he attacked the worms I gave him. His second dose of medicine is to be given this Saturday , but I feel like it won't help. Don't know what to do :/
Here's pic of two blood spots that are next to each other

http://tinypic.com/r/2wrm41x/9

guidofatherof5
04-12-2017, 09:46 PM
That is a concerning amount for blood. You have him at the Vet's so hang in there.

Albert Clark
04-13-2017, 07:22 AM
I would definitely advise the vet about the new bleeding and see what he advises about 2nd dose of medication. I would think that they would still want you to administer it. Hope this is just a residual episode and he recovers. Remember snakes hide illnesses until they are really ill consequently they heal slowly. Best of luck with him.