PDA

View Full Version : Got my second garter snake today!!

Brittany26
03-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Hi all! So my baby albino female checkered garter came in the mail today from Bhb reptiles! She is way smaller than I expected but so cute and curious. I'm not sure how old she is but I'm guessing around a week or two old. My question is, when should I start feeding her? And her head is so tiny I don't think she could eat a pinky head. Any suggestions?
Heres a pic of her, and the photo makes her appear larger than she really is:)

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/1zqx6yv/9)

also, any advice on taking care of a baby snake would be helpful, if there's any

KRS4771
03-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Congrates on the new addition! I would try cut up nightcrawlers, around 1/4" in size.

guidofatherof5
03-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Get some food in that little furnace. Congrats.

Brittany26
03-11-2017, 12:06 PM
She won't eat anything i offer, yesterday I put her in a bucket and cut up a pinky and a small slug, and today I offered her a fish and cut up worms. Here's a pic of her with the cut up worms.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/17wfaf/9)

p.s this is a pic of her enclosure. Should I make it smaller?
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/r/1jsuh3/9)

guidofatherof5
03-11-2017, 12:18 PM
There can be an adjustment/settle-in time with these little ones. What fish did you offer? Here's a video I made about feeding troubled eater. I'm not saying that is what you have. I'd wait a couple of days and try feeding again.

1O36FMumumg&t=182s

Brittany26
03-11-2017, 12:35 PM
I used rosy reds because the two places I went to didn't sell guppies. The fish are bigger than the snakes head so I don't think she could eat them anyway.

Albert Clark
03-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Congrats on the little guy/gal! I would definitely put the baby in a smaller enclosure (much smaller). I would consider a small deli cup, folded paper towel as a substrate, and a bottle cap as a water holder until it starts to eat and put on some size. You could then use a larger deli cup or bowl. I found that all my babies eat better in a smaller tight enclosure. It has to do with security mostly but does include enviornmental adjustments. Stay away from the rosy reds as much as possible, try ocean perch or f/t silversides both cut up very small.

Albert Clark
03-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Any deli cups or plastic bowls should have air holes (ventilation) pushed into the sides and or top of the lids. Good luck. ;)

Brittany26
03-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Update: thanks Albert I took your advice. I put a divider in the plastic tub to make it smaller and she has seemed more confident in coming out and exploring, although when ever I hold her she tries biting or musking me haha. She also began eating last week and eats cut up worms and cut up pinkies

Albert Clark
03-24-2017, 08:20 PM
Glad things are falling into place with the little one! Albino checkereds are very hardy, good tempered usually. I can't believe he's trying to bite and musk you when you pick him up. That is the exception more than the rule with them. At least in my experience anyway. I'm sure that behavior will stop real soon. Especially now that he's eating for you. Good luck. Grats.

Albert Clark
03-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Uh oh, I meant she, and not he. I see the little one is female. Sorry.

Brittany26
07-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Update: So I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with my snake Steavy, but he has been on the forums multiple times for being sick and bleeding from the mouth etc, but now he is currently great and I wanted to update you guys on me introducing the baby female to him. He lived alone all his life for 11 years and a few weeks ago he saw his first snake. I was worried he would mistake her as food or not get along, but the first time they met went well! He immediately started shaking his head/body when he smelled her and he seemed nervous around her for awhile but now they snuggle together all the time and if she crawls away and hides at the top of the cage he searches for her hehe. Might have some babies on my hands next year. I honestly thought Steavy would have no idea what she is but that's not the case. I'll try posting the vid I took the first time they met. I have always wanted to give him a playmate but I was scared on how he would react but I'm glad I did it!

guidofatherof5
07-20-2017, 04:05 PM
Great update. Hang in there Steavy.

Brittany26
07-24-2017, 11:25 AM
https://youtu.be/qtYKvT_2-ao

There's the vid I took seconds after I put her in his cage. If the vid is blurry put the quality on 720

Zdravko092368
07-28-2017, 03:22 AM
Glad Steavy is doing well. Hopefully he has fun with his lady friend lol.