PDA

View Full Version : Shedding with damaged skin

Simland
01-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Hi,

A couple of months ago one of my garters damaged its skin by getting stuck in a hole. The outer layer (the one that sheds) was essentially ripped off one of its belly scales and the same goes for some of its back scales around the same area. It hasn't shed since then and it is preparing to do so now. I'm worried that this damage could make shedding difficult and was wondering if there's anything I should keep in mind / do to make sure the shedding goes well and it doesn't end up with stuck shed that could be problematic.

Albert Clark
01-16-2017, 08:53 AM
I would keep the suspicious areas clean and raise the humidity percentage. As long as he accepts food, continue to provide nutrition bc that will aid in healing as will added humidity to prevent dehydration.

guidofatherof5
01-16-2017, 08:58 AM
It could create a problem, you'll just have to watch out for a torn shed, then again all could go well. Be sure to have a big water dish in so he/she can soak before the shed. Sometimes ventrals don't grow back.

Simland
01-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Ok. Thanks.

I already started upping the humidity, but I think I'll increase it some more since I was starting from pretty dry (because he already had several spots of scale rot when I got it).

He has a water bowl big enough for him to soak completely in. Hopefully, these things will be enough.

The ventral scale seems to have "healed", but it looks messed up / shriveled.

What would represent a problematic stuck shed? I know stuck shed around the cloaca could lead to problems, but is there anything else?

guidofatherof5
01-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Retained eye caps and anything that restricts breathing or circulation. Any chance you can post a photo of this "shriveled" ventral?

Albert Clark
01-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Triple check the tail tip region as well with suspected stuck sheds. That will be very problematic if not caught early. A couple of years ago i had this problem with one of my albino checkereds when i had to take him and a female back from the owner who neglected them. Actually i bought them back! I wound up having to make a exotic vet visit to correct that and the nutritional deficiencies they both were suffering from. They both made spectacular recoveries.

Simland
01-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies.

He shed this morning and everything seems to be fine! The scale that looked shriveled before looks much better now.

I don't think the shed skin had any missing ventral scales, so I'm thinking the skin layer had healed.