PDA

View Full Version : Red Concinnus Slugfest...

Albert Clark
11-01-2016, 05:03 AM
That really sums it up in my attempt to produce some hatchlings from my 2year old Oregon red spotted garter snake pair. They were brumated late in 2015 for 3 months at 55F. Brought them out in January 2016, beginning with a gradual increase in temps over a weeks time. Both virgin garter snakes and paired them, seeing numerous breedings and locks. Temps up to 78F ambient with a warm spot of 86F controlled in a rack and by thermostat. Locking together to the point where the female was dragging the male across the tub floor. She really didn't ever show signs of being gravid until late in July when she began to refuse food and start to appear thickened and rounded. Over the last 48 hours she has been laying slugs and has put a dent in my hopes for her this season. I am just hoping she passes all of the slugs and by some chance gives birth to at least a couple of babies.

Albert Clark
11-01-2016, 05:06 AM
Female t.s. concinnus..1420014200

BLUESIRTALIS
11-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Hate to hear this man! I really hope she gets them all out. I lost a beautiful anery eastern only 4 years old to slugs this year.

Albert Clark
11-01-2016, 06:14 AM
Hate to hear this man! I really hope she gets them all out. I lost a beautiful anery eastern only 4 years old to slugs this year.

Thanks Shawn! I know that anery eastern was a big loss and I'm grieving with you over that one. My blue puget female had this issue with slugs as soon as I got her 2 years ago and she pulled through by passing all of them. She did get very ill after that with a RI and retained shed. She pulled through that and became a pretty healthy girl.

Eddie
11-01-2016, 06:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Albert. I hope she is ok.

guidofatherof5
11-01-2016, 10:18 AM
That is a shame. Best of luck in the future.

Albert Clark
11-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Albert. I hope she is ok. Thank you Ed. She is a very strong reptile and i think she will pull through. Just being hopeful. I did notify my vet in case she goes past 48 hrs without passing all of them.

That is a shame. Best of luck in the future. Thanks Steve and it is! I appreciate the sentiments. Back to my other projects and hope for the best.

Qwerty3159
11-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I hope you have better luck next time around!

Albert Clark
11-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I hope you have better luck next time around! Thanks Q, i was beginning to think she would never reproduce bc it took so long after breeding for her to show signs of being gravid. On a lighter note, i recently got my male infernalis back from a breeding loan. Now i have two complete breeding pairs there.

Zdravko092368
11-02-2016, 05:48 AM

What did you try to remove the slugs? I found a good hour soak in warm water coupled with an aggressive message every few days ended up getting the slugs out of a 16" slugbound female I found in the wild.

I did this last year and she's still alive and doing just fine this year.

Also sorry to hear about the slugs Albert, I had some unfortunate things happen this past week with some of my garters as well.

BLUESIRTALIS
11-02-2016, 06:01 AM
I would say that only works about 20% of the time. I did soaks messages everything, but these were just too large and hard for her to pass. In most cases the females will pass them before they are hardened.
What did you try to remove the slugs? I found a good hour soak in warm water coupled with an aggressive message every few days ended up getting the slugs out of a 16" slugbound female I found in the wild.

Also sorry to hear about the slugs Albert, I had some unfortunate things happen this past week with some of my garters as well.

Eddie
11-02-2016, 06:45 PM
I have found that once they are hardened its usually too late.

Albert Clark
11-03-2016, 06:00 AM

Thanks. No, I didn't try and remove them. Vet said there is a 48 to 72 hour window for the snake to pass slugs. After that then there are other options that include but are not limited to radiography, medication to induce contractions, and surgery.

I have found that once they are hardened its usually too late.
This may or may not be the case. The animal would definitely need to be evaluated for a treatment plan.

I would say that only works about 20% of the time. I did soaks messages everything, but these were just too large and hard for her to pass. In most cases the females will pass them before they are hardened.
This is very true according to the vet. But after a 72 hour period it is a good idea to get to the exotic vet. Thanks.

Albert Clark
11-03-2016, 06:05 AM
Oh, btw she has passed all of the slugs and is on the prowl for food. But I am waiting until tomorrow to offer any kind of food.
Thanks for all the support and feedback guys!!

Eddie
11-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Good luck! That is a great sign!

Albert Clark
11-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Good luck! That is a great sign!

Thanks man! She's back on feed again. I'll give them ago in the summer of '17 again.

Albert Clark
11-05-2016, 09:50 AM
1420914210I'm so proud of this girl bc in spite of adversity she always bounces back. I am extremely excited to learn she is a fertile garter due to her previous matings and then taking so long to look visibly gravid.

Albert Clark
11-05-2016, 09:52 AM
14211Next season will be good.

Tommytradix
11-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear this albert but happy she is ok. It might have something to do with your brumation temps. I cool mine at 42-46°F. I also mist when i first put them in then mist again about 6 weeks in. I had 3 drop slugs due to a short brumation (32 days) and it was around 50°F when they went in. My fridge decided to break a week after they went in and wasn't cooling right and by he time i took them out it would only cool down to 54°F.

Albert Clark
11-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Thanks Tom. I appreciate that. I think it's more the fact that they were both first timers. I will make a adjustment to the cooling temps. Thanks for weighing in. Sorry about your misfortune as well. Good luck with the other projects.