PDA

View Full Version : Not Garters

krystalirelan@southslope.
08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Hello. I have a pair of Corns that hatched 17/18 babies. One slit his egg, but died after.:( They have all shed but 2 are not eating. I HATE FORCE FEEDING! But I will.
I keep getting messages about how I haven't posted so here it is.:cool:

Josh
08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
congrats
Post pics?

Stefan-A
08-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Congratulations. When did they hatch?

Ameivaboy
08-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I wouldnt jump into force feeding yet, a lot of times the stress from it causing more harm than good, you can scent them with frogs or lizards, "brain" them,
leave the neonates in with the intended prey in a bag overnight along with a few other things, I am strongly against force feeding unless it is absolutley needed. another thing that i must add is that dealing with corn snakes you are working with a species that is bred by the tens of thousands every year, workign with finicky eaters and selling them out to people is not good, being that this species is so heavily (over)bred you should not put animals back into the gene pool that have *problems* such as troubles eating. not saying they just dont need a bit more time, but if they continue to be troublesome it is certainley something to consider. if this were a less common animal it would not matter but being one of the most commonly available species the responsible thing to do is to make sure the strongest aniamls propagate and the weaker ones do not.

Kevin

krystalirelan@southslope.
08-07-2007, 05:55 AM
We have brained them. We have left them over night. We have given them smaller pieces of pinkie. I have only had one other that I have had to force feed. That was 3 years ago. After 1 time she now eats very well and is doing great. As I don't sell snakes I am not worried about that. We have traded the pet store in the past but as I said I still have the one that was force feed. The rest of our hatchlings have been given to friends and several of the area schools.