PDA

View Full Version : Dirt as substrate.

Web Bacon
10-07-2016, 01:02 PM
I have been using coconut fibers for my substrate, but have been wondering if it would be alright to use dirt and have live plants growing in the tank.

infernalis
10-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Yes of course you can use soil, do not bake it, do not sterilize it, in fact get some grass and rake up leaves for bio activity, a bio active enclosure is self cleaning, the organisms in the soil will eat the snake poop literally overnight.

Myssi24
10-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Can one use belly heat if you use dirt as a substrate?

infernalis
10-10-2016, 01:04 AM
Under tank heaters are not only unnecessary, but ineffective when a layer of soil is present. But garter snakes don't need belly heat, put a small wattage basking lamp on one end and copy nature.

guidofatherof5
10-10-2016, 05:27 AM
I see nothing wrong with belly heat when it is controlled by a rheostat. It certainly reduces a much used escape route when compared to a hanging light. Any heat source has its risks. I don't think garter care whether the heat comes from the bottom or top.

Albert Clark
10-10-2016, 07:25 AM
I use a rack with back heat which is also acceptable for garters. As long as it's positioned in a place with naural or artificial lighting.

Albert Clark
10-10-2016, 07:58 AM
Under tank heaters are not only unnecessary, but ineffective when a layer of soil is present. But garter snakes don't need belly heat, put a small wattage basking lamp on one end and copy nature.

Garters can and do benefit from uth's that have thinned layers of substrate above them. A thin layer of substrate over a regulated uth (thermostat or rheostat) will aid in digestion and thermoregulation. Without it, they can thrive but with it, it's a added plus.

Qwerty3159
10-10-2016, 08:35 AM
I prefer lamps simply because I would need a light and a heat source for the snake, so I just kill two birds with one stone and use a lamp.

Albert Clark
10-10-2016, 09:51 AM
That's fine, but just monitor your humidity bc lamps have a tendency to dry out the circulating air.

Web Bacon
10-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Yes of course you can use soil, do not bake it, do not sterilize it, in fact get some grass and rake up leaves for bio activity, a bio active enclosure is self cleaning, the organisms in the soil will eat the snake poop literally overnight.

Thanks. I used to breed anoles and set there enclosure up like that, live plants and all, but recently I read that one should never do that with snakes due to the accumulation of too much waste causing bad bactiria to grow. I am going to change the enclosure then.
A couple other questions then; do I use the under tank heating pad, and should I proved a water bowl or lets it 'rain' everyday?

Web Bacon
10-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Okay, question; do I use dirt from the field near me or bagged garden soil?

infernalis
10-13-2016, 04:15 AM
"rain" is good, but maybe not every day. Be careful not to let it get really soggy, too wet can promote some nasty mold growth. I use this method with my lizards, I water the soil twice a week.

Web Bacon
10-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Dirt from outside or bagged soil?

Web Bacon
10-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Thanks infernalis (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/infernalis.html) http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/images/thamnophis/green/statusicon/user-offline.pngGot my answer.........!

Web Bacon
10-14-2016, 08:37 AM

Dirt from outside or store bought?

Web Bacon
10-14-2016, 08:42 AM

Do I use dirt from outside or bagged dirt form store? A have heard meally bugs or rolly pollys (whatever they're called) help to keep the tank clean. Is there any truth to that?

Still trying to figure out how to use the forums.
Forgive me if I double (triple?) post.

guidofatherof5
10-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Do I use dirt from outside or bagged dirt form store? A have heard meally bugs or rolly pollys (whatever they're called) help to keep the tank clean. Is there any truth to that?

Still trying to figure out how to use the forums.
Forgive me if I double (triple?) post.

There is a risk with any soil. Be it low, there is still a risk.

Web Bacon
10-15-2016, 12:36 AM
There is a risk with any soil. Be it low, there is still a risk.

Alright. Thank you all.

Web Bacon
10-22-2016, 06:58 PM
I never see my snake drink water, although I'm sure he must, but never does he go in the water bowl to soak. Thought garters liked to go in and under water at times.

guidofatherof5
10-22-2016, 07:13 PM
I never see my snake drink water, although I'm sure he must, but never does he go in the water bowl to soak. Thought garters liked to go in and under water at times.

They do, you're just not seeing it. Some like to soak and other don't unless they are ready to shed.

Web Bacon
10-23-2016, 10:20 PM
This was copied from the Garter Snake Care Sheet...........Dirt - plain dirt dug from outside. Contains mold spores, organisms, and microorganisms that while outside can be fine. But indoors can mold, bacteria populations can explode. Bottom line is, dirt is dirty. Best to avoid it. So now I am a bit confused.

Albert Clark
10-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Bio active enclosures seems to be what you are describing and there are several types that are commercially available for your consideration. I will try and get the link posted for you.