PDA

View Full Version : Question

Elliot
08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
I've though about breeding my ribbon snakes next year, but I don't really have a way to put them into hibernation. We don't have basements here, and it doesn't stay in the mid 50's outside, it's usually warmer than that during the day and cooler at night during the winter. Any suggestions, or should I just forget about it?

Josh
08-06-2007, 05:23 PM
mini fridge:rolleyes:

ssssnakeluvr
08-06-2007, 05:32 PM
I tried the mini fridge..too humid, causes skin problems. If you do use one, check it daily. basically any place cool, around 50 degress should work....

Josh
08-06-2007, 05:34 PM
really i was just kidding can you actually do that. Is there any was to reduce humidity?

ssssnakeluvr
08-06-2007, 05:40 PM
no way I know of, just the way they work....I removed the molding around the top and bottom of the door to allow for air circulation, but the sterilite tubs got a lot of condensation. lost a couple snakes to the skin blisters... :(

Elliot
08-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I tried the mini fridge..too humid, causes skin problems. If you do use one, check it daily. basically any place cool, around 50 degress should work....

I guess I'm gonna have to look around for a while then.:rolleyes:

Snaky
08-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I know of people who putted them in a closet in an unheated bedroom... And I've known people use a (big) fridge or a winecooler (winecooler was for turtles). Good luck with finding the right conditions.

Lulu Bennett
08-07-2007, 01:56 AM
i think elliot has pulled up a good subject as there is alot with burmating my snakes that i am unsure on.
what month should i stop feeding them? i understand its about 3/4weeks before lowering the temp. i am ok with the temp because i can put them into the garage as its quite chilly in there if my b'room is too warm.
also what month should i consider bringing them out and warming them up? how long after do i start to feed them?
thanks guys and sorry elliot for pinching your thread lol :D

Snaky
08-07-2007, 02:09 AM
With me it depends on the temperature and size of the snake I'm brumating. I give every snake at least 1 month. But adults 2-2,5 months. I start preparing them in the start of November and it takes about 2-3 weeks to lower the temperature.

Last year was extremely bad for me as the temperature was way to high during the winter months. I only brumated them for 6 weeks ( if I recall correctly ). But 14-15°C was just to high to keep on brumating them...

Elliot
08-07-2007, 05:59 AM
No problem Lulu.:rolleyes:

enigma200316
08-07-2007, 06:12 AM
so what do you do to lower the temp? just start cutting the heat source off more and more, and how long of a period should you do this over? what kind of a hide or box should you have for them? will they go in on there own or do you have to put them in? this will be my first time doing it so I want to get it right!!!!........thanks:D

Lulu Bennett
08-07-2007, 06:23 AM
garter snakes are beautiful and interesting reptiles! (http://www.gartersnake.de/danielframemanteleng.html)
i have just got this like from someone here....i think it was elliot and i have had a read through the hubernation section on there. some useful information. i think it was well worth reading. xxx :D

enigma200316
08-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks Lulu......

Lulu Bennett
08-07-2007, 06:30 AM
no worries sweety. it has just helped me so i thought it would only be fair :D

oh by the way, thanks snakey. i am very greatful for your help xxx

Josh
08-07-2007, 07:17 AM
well i just got my babies they are only about a month old should i put mine in brumation?

Stefan-A
08-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I suppose it's better not to.

Lulu Bennett
08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
i have been told that its better if i don't because they are not on a full meal and will be far too weak and could lead to death

enigma200316
08-07-2007, 11:07 AM
That is true....I've been reading up on it now, and they say you shouldn't do it unless they are either really strong already or atleast a year old....:)

Lulu Bennett
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
yup lol :D

adamanteus
08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I've often wondered about brumation periods for Garters from different regions and climates, and whether we can apply one set of rules for all species/sub-species. Extreme examples being radix and parietalis from the cold north, compared with marcianus for example from the much warmer southern states. Any thoughts?

Stefan-A
08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I really don't know, but if I remember correctly, parietalis can spend as much as 8 months in hibernation, but on the other hand, you can stimulate them into mating by lowering the temperature for as little as a day. I don't know if it works with other species and subspecies.

My guess would be that you can't apply one set of rules to all species and subspecies. Somewhere, their ability to withstand longer and colder hibernation periods has to become the factor that limits a species' distribution. I could also imagine that the newborns of the northernmost populations would enter it earlier and at a smaller size.

But like I said, I don't know. This is just an exercise in imagination.

Snaky
08-08-2007, 07:25 AM
There are some species you can put in the fridge and hibernate at 4-6°C, but I don't think you can do this for all species/subspecies. Even within subspecies there might be a problem. Some have such a wide range that they can be in very cold or warm areas. I think the one snake from a warm area will have it difficult when you drop the temperature to the hibernation temperature of the snake from the cold area. But this is also just a thought, don't know any hard facts on it.

You can lower the temperature by using a dimmer/ using lower Wattage spots/ lowering your room temperature / gradually decreasing your light period/ moving them to a different room which is a little colder...

drache
08-08-2007, 07:49 AM
I would assume that normal winter weather conditions in the area of a species/sub distribution are a good guideline for tolerable temps