PDA

View Full Version : toxic earthworms?

MSargente
09-25-2016, 09:17 PM
I'm raising some baby garters, captive born in mid-July, all have been doing well. I bought "Canadian nightcrawlers" recently from a pet store, fed pieces of them to one group of snakes and lost two (out of four) snakes within three days - all were very active, healthy and feeding well; after this feeding one died within 12 hours, the other two days later. The remaining two snakes from that group seem OK. My other baby garters are housed in the exact same type of setup, but were not fed these worms and all are fine at this time. I am assuming it's something with these worms - some kind of toxin? Possibly a pathogen? Has anyone heard of this or had a similar experience?

BLUESIRTALIS
09-26-2016, 05:59 AM
Out of all my years of breeding garters i have never had an issue with nightcrawlers. Are you sure you didn't get a hold of some red wigglers in the batch somehow?

Albert Clark
09-26-2016, 07:57 AM
I think of you feed them too big of a piece of nightcrawler that may also prove problematic for them to keep down. The pieces of nightcrawlers should be very small for hatchlings.

guidofatherof5
09-26-2016, 05:01 PM
I've found red wrigglers(2) in with 2 separate tubs of Canadian Night Crawlers.