PDA

View Full Version : T. radix Iowa blizzards and snows born- surprise litter

Jeff B
07-08-2016, 07:34 PM
I woke up today to a nice surprise when I checked the snake room!!! I wasn't completely surprised since I put the male Iowa snow in with the Iowa blizzard female at the beginning of May as a last ditch effort. None the less, I was surprised as aways to see babies squiggling all over the place. She had 21 big healthy babies, no stills, deformed, or jelly beans...perfect litter...wish they all were like that. The babies are all snows or blizzards and the only way I can tell them apart at this point is the faint dorsal on the blizzards. Later the blizzards will turn more purple looking. I love Iowa strain blizzard radix they are one of my favorites, because they are so clean yet have soft pastel colors.
Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff B
07-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Make that 22 babies, I just counted 22 heads in the picture...I must have lost count this morning when I was pulling them out of the tub, lol.

guidofatherof5
07-08-2016, 07:47 PM
What a nice surprise. Love those radi.

Dan72
07-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Congrats Jeff! Nice litter.

Eddie
07-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Awesome litter!!! Congrats!!!

Tommytradix
07-09-2016, 01:12 PM
is the snow het axanthic?

Tommytradix
07-09-2016, 01:14 PM
they all look like snows to me.

Jeff B
07-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Tommy, have you produced blizzards before?

BUSHSNAKE
07-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Can you get better pics jeff? Maybe when they shed

Tommytradix
07-10-2016, 08:32 AM
Tommy, have you produced blizzards before?
no but from compairing your other pic of baby blizzards and these they look different. ive produced tons of snows though. not saying your lieing jeff just telling you what i see. the pics are pretty far away could you get closer pics of each for comparison?

Jeff B
07-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Like I said in the original post the only way you can tell blizzards from snows at birth is the faint dorsal on the blizzards. In person the snows are just a shade whiter or less pink too but that doesn't really show up on camera. They look very similar until they grow a bit and shed a few times then the difference becomes more obvious. This is not new information, this is how they always look. I have produced blizzards several times in the past 4 or 5 seasons. I just took this picture of one of the blizzards (on the left) and one of the snows (on the right). It looks like about have the babies in this litter are blizzard and half are snows and this is exactly what I predicted from this breeding.

guidofatherof5
07-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Nice.

Tommytradix
07-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Like I said in the original post the only way you can tell blizzards from snows at birth is the faint dorsal on the blizzards. In person the snows are just a shade whiter or less pink too but that doesn't really show up on camera. They look very similar until they grow a bit and shed a few times then the difference becomes more obvious. This is not new information, this is how they always look. I have produced blizzards several times in the past 4 or 5 seasons. I just took this picture of one of the blizzards (on the left) and one of the snows (on the right). It looks like about have the babies in this litter are blizzard and half are snows and this is exactly what I predicted from this breeding.

just some questions and my input lol i see it very clearly now. thanks for the pic.

Eddie
07-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Very cool

Jeff B
07-10-2016, 08:52 PM
just some questions and my input lol i see it very clearly now. thanks for the pic.
Well its not always clear at birth as it is a very subtle difference and to be honest I haven't separated the snows from the blizzards to get an exact count of each, but I have a lot of patience, and at this point the main priority during this next week is to get everyone eating, then I will worry about ID and sexing. These babies are a little on the small side and that always concerns me a bit...that said radix are champions when it comes to thriving.

BLUESIRTALIS
07-11-2016, 05:35 AM
Congrats jeff!

Tommytradix
07-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Well its not always clear at birth as it is a very subtle difference and to be honest I haven't separated the snows from the blizzards to get an exact count of each, but I have a lot of patience, and at this point the main priority during this next week is to get everyone eating, then I will worry about ID and sexing. These babies are a little on the small side and that always concerns me a bit...that said radix are champions when it comes to thriving.
although i have never had a litter of blizzards ive had plenty of snows and the pic you posted clearly shows a dorsal stripe. one of the reasons i love radix so much is they eat worms right away and almost all eat in the first week. concinnus are nightmare compared to radix lol only a few eat in the first week or 2 and the others slowly catch on but some jjust prefer fish and i hate fish now lol most of the puget litter has taken worms already too.

Jeff B
07-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Typical of radix babies, the snows and blizzards are eating aggressively now. They have eaten two meals of nightcrawler pieces.

guidofatherof5
07-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Typical of radix babies, the snows and blizzards are eating aggressively now. They have eaten two meals of nightcrawler pieces.

Gotta love those radi.

Dan72
07-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Way to go scrubs! Keep eating and growing.

Albert Clark
07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Congrats Jeff! Nice looking scrubs.

Jeff B
07-19-2016, 09:15 PM
Ended up with 9 blizzards and 13 snows.

houchen
09-16-2016, 12:22 PM
do you have any of these for sale?