PDA

View Full Version : Earthworms under rabbit manure.

liveunderoath
02-01-2016, 02:12 PM
I have a couple of rabbits and I've noticed that there are hundreds of earthworms living under their droppings. Would those worms be safe to feed garters?

guidofatherof5
02-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Are you sure they are earthworms, could they be compost worms?

AntTheDestroyer
02-01-2016, 04:46 PM
I think Steve is referring to what are called red wiglers. If so these worms release a poisonous secretion that can kill a garter snake.

liveunderoath
02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
These are the same earthworms you would find digging in the dirt or under a rock, not the red wigglers. I was just wondering if them feeding on the rabbit manure would cause them to be unsafe.

Albert Clark
02-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Good question! Don't really know.I would be leary though of possible endoparasites. I mean you can just buy safe worms or nightcrawlers. Why take the chance with manure laden worms?

liveunderoath
02-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Good question! Don't really know.I would be leary though of possible endoparasites. I mean you can just buy safe worms or nightcrawlers. Why take the chance with manure laden worms?
I do use nightcrawlers that I buy and I have never used any wild caught food of any kind for my snakes. This is really more of a question out of pure curiosity.

Albert Clark
02-04-2016, 11:50 PM
I do use nightcrawlers that I buy and I have never used any wild caught food of any kind for my snakes. This is really more of a question out of pure curiosity.
That's why I said "good question". I really wish I knew.

liveunderoath
02-05-2016, 02:30 PM
That's why I said "good question". I really wish I knew. I would think there would be some sort of studies about the safety of the worms as food for pets, but I haven't been able to find anything.

joeysgreen
02-05-2016, 06:06 PM
They would have the same risk as any other wild caught worm. Perhaps even less if they are only eating one food course, of potentially healthy rabbits that an'rt foraging in areas where they'd collect L1 parasites. As per usual, having a fecal analysis done 1-2x's per year is a good idea. On that note, those farmed nightcrawlers are equally at risk for parasitism as any other worm, unless they are CB indoors, away from potential parasite vectors.