PDA

View Full Version : Kurly ate his first Pinky!!!!!

Kurly1
07-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Kurly ate his first pinky today!!!! It was the first time that we tried feeding him one and we didn't have any problem getting him to eat it. Well, we did have to cut it in 3 pieces for him because he couldn't get his mouth all around it when he tried to eat it the first time and threw it across the cage!!!! lol. It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time and we laughed about it for a few minutes. We did rub a nightcrawler around the mouse before cutting it up and once we placed the pieces in the cage, he gobbled it right up.

After he ate it, he went straight to his water bowl and laid in it for a few minutes which is something that he has never done after eating worms or fish. Now he his happily resting in front of his hide with a nice full stomach. :)

We are very happy that it only took one try to get him to eat pinkies. He is such a good little guy! :D

Stefan-A
07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Well congratulations! :D

adamanteus
07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Great news! Plain sailing from here!:)

Jake Dubz
09-04-2007, 02:57 AM
whats some advantages from earthworms to pinkys?? Nutrition value??? If i feed mine ever 2-3 (or as he gets hungry since I handle him allot) on crawlers as good as pinkys? do snake get longer/fatter between the two??

Elliot
09-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Pinkies are much better for them than nightcrawlers, and the poo less when you feed them mice too lol. Your snake would get bigger on a pinky diet since they are so much better for your snake.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-04-2007, 07:16 PM
how about fish?

Elliot
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Fish are better than earthworms but not as good as mice.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Fish are better than earthworms but not as good as mice.
my mom wont let me feed them mice :(

Elliot
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Does she know that you can buy frozen ones, and that she'll never have to see them?

Josh
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
how about fish?
you have to "dust the tail". This is when you "dust" the tail in calciam

drache
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
fish is more complete than worm when it comes to nutrients
some fish can also deplete your snake of certain nutrients
there is an article on it in the care-sheets section:
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Thiamin,

enigma200316
09-04-2007, 07:33 PM
Congrats...............:)

drache
09-05-2007, 06:31 AM
oh, I forgot
congrats on your little one taking to rodent

Kurly1
09-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks. We were lucky in that he made the switch so easy. He ate that first one and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I'm glad that we decided to make the switch since it is nutritionally better for him. Plus, as someone else has already stated, the poo is not as messy or smelly ;)

GarterGuy
09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey congrats on getting your garter to take pinks. One thing to be aware of though, is that although pinks are a really good food, they do tend to be low in calcium. I would recomend that every third feeding or so, dust the pink with a calcium supplement so this doesn't become a problem.

Roy

Kurly1
09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Hmmm, this is the first time I have heard that. I was always told that pinkies provide everything a snake needs and that it wasn't necessary to give it any supplements once you start feeding them pinkies.

Of course if I need to do that for the snake to remain as healthy as possible then I will have no problem doing so.

GarterGuy
09-06-2007, 12:15 PM
OK, had to look up where I heard that from. The Lizard Keepers Handbook by Philipe de Vosjoli..in the chapter on feeding he states "Mice are nutritious, but when only one or two days old they are also calcium deficient for lizards (unless they are offered very soon after removal from the mother)." I imagine that if very young pinks are offered, like the ones given to young snakes, that they should be occasionally supplemented. Especially since young snakes are growing quite a bit and their calcium needs would be high. If you're using older, bigger pinks or fuzzies, I imagine it's not so much an issue. I know the info. is for lizards, but I imagine snakes really aren't all that different. Anyways, for my little ones on pinks, I supplement with calcium every third feeding and for my older, smaller garters on pinks, I go once a month.

Roy

drache
09-06-2007, 12:50 PM
I often wonder about this kind of info
I mean, all this stuff about nutritional superiority of foods they'd hardly eat in the wild - despite the lack of which they don't end up deformed like some of the animals we see in captivity
if newborns and babies live on small slugs, worms and tadpoles in the wild, shouldn't pinkie bones be quite a step up from that in calcium supply?
I mean, they do have bones, however soft, unlike above prey

chloe
09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
I have been wondering about that as well Rhea. How do they get sufficient calcium supply in the wild?

adamanteus
09-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I think sometimes people are inclined to over emphasize the calcium issue...it is needed, of course, but not in huge quantities. Where do you get yours, Chloe? When did you last gnaw on a bone?

Of course in the wild Garters eat a lot of amphibians...even quite small amphibians have well developed skeletons.

drache
09-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Of course in the wild Garters eat a lot of amphibians...even quite small amphibians have well developed skeletons.

I forgot about those